Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most Un-Prog Song Ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    Well, this is a strange thread. That's saying something for this place.
    Prog is dying - We have run out of bands...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Prog is dying - We have run out of bands...
    I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Because lots of guys want to be that kind of Alpha Male. It's the whole image of the macho outlaw. What you're hearing is the sound of Joe Sixpack's fantasy life. And women - or at least some of them - are just crazy about Alpha Males and think they can domesticate a macho outlaw with love.

Actually, the "domesticate a macho outlaw" probably falls under the same heading as people who stay in abusive relationships because they think think they change the other person. You have women in the ER, after being beaten and black and blue, but they stay with the guy who beat them because "I love him, and I can make him change". Doesn't work that way, honey, no matter how much you want it to. He'll kill you before he changes.

But beyond that, I don't think that explains everyone who likes the misogynist/homophobic/gangsta variety of hip hop. There's a lot of people I know, near as I can tell, don't fantasize about being a thug/drug dealer/pimp/The-Other-Whatever, nor particularly have any interest in being a relationship with such a person, yet they same to enjoy that music. These are reasonable, intelligent people, so it's not just a matter of being "stupid".
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 06-05-2016 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Can at least brings in some ethnic influences and adventurous rhythms -- although I'd call them more "Krautrock" than "prog."
    Well, most krautrock was somehow progressive in the day when 'progressive rock' denoted purportedly electroacoustic pop music displaying such exact qualities. To apply the highly limiting and reductive "prog" tag as retroactive term would lead nowhere. Which of course this thread does as well. But Can were a band working on far more advanced levels of coneptualized strategy for musicmaking than, say, their countrymen Triumvirat.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

@GuitarGeek, I had planned on posting this, but I thought it was getting a bit stale:

There’s plenty of appalling pop drivel of the same vintage, though:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Although I guess one could argue that it sounds a bit like Zappa.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post

(The Ghoul mode) Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow-OUW!!!!" (The Ghoul mode off)

Seriously, dammit, GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!!!!! I didn't even click on the video and it's already in there! DAMN YOU!!!!!!

(Charlton Heston mode) DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET YOUR FILTHY PAWS OFF OF ME YOU DAMN DIRTY APE!!!!!!!!" (Charlton Heston mode off)

There's bad pop music in all eras. I get a lot of choice selections from the 70's, 80's and the present inflicted on me at work. I had listen to Katy Perry, Wide Awake today. My goodness what a terrible song. Then there's things like Babe (yes, the Styx song, worst use of a Fender Rhodes ever), Knock Three Times, a couple of those 80's era Chicago songs, etc. I mean, they play some good stuff too, but dammit, their playlist needs an overhaul. Could be worse, they could be making us listen to Mr. Roboto. (Don Felder mode) I guess. (Don Felder mode off)

I still wanna know why they get stuff like Blue Oyster Cult at Five Guys, but the place I work at, I gotta put up with Bruno Mars, Pharrel, and T

The thing is, the stuff I posted, I actually kinda like. Well the EUrovision stuff I like, the German version of Let Your Love Flow, not so much. But never in a million years would I call any of it prog.

Louie Louie, Kingsmen version?

In the interest of equal time, bad 60s pop:

...and bad 80s pop:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

You are all pikers. Every example in this thread so far is prog as he
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Louie Louie, Kingsmen version?
    One of the greatest AND most defining pop/rock tunes of all time, IMHO. Sure beats the hell out of "I Think I'm Going Bald".
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    One of the greatest AND most defining pop/rock tunes of all time, IMHO. Sure beats the hell out of "I Think I'm Going Bald".
    Of course. It's iconic. Remember, I'm not a person who thinks that calling something non-prog is bad or inferior in any way. The Kingsmen took that reggae tune and turned it into a primitive, crude anthem. It's a defining rock and roll moment, but it's got to be the opposite of prog.

I Think I'm Going Bald, lol. Was that the last of Rush's Led Zeppelin copy songs? I think so, unless one wants to make a case for Money or Nothing (which I don't).

I would contend that this is the farthest thing from prog but I suspect Zappa would have disagreed.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    @GuitarGeek, I had planned on posting this, but I thought it was getting a bit stale:

Reminds me of this:

Once more or less shared the stage with them. At least I was at the same poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I would contend that this is the farthest thing from prog but I suspect Zappa would have disagreed.

The Shaggs' music (as found on The Philosophy of the World - now how's that for a Jon Milkmanderson-transgressingly pretentious album title?) dwells on a near-telepathical complexity level solely based on the intuitive communication of the sisters. There are things happening on that record (the LP, I mean) that's actually *WAY* more intricate than anything Yes achieved through months of meticulous planning and rehearsal. And I'm saying that as a Yes fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Of course. It's iconic. [...] The Kingsmen took that reggae tune and turned it into a primitive, crude anthem. It's a defining rock and roll moment, but it's got to be the opposite of prog.
    It's all fun! I mean, how can you NOT get in at least a tolerable mood from listening to/seeing this? I agree with you - it's the opposite of "prog", and I absolutely love it. If a "prog" band had done a cover of this, it'd probably involve Fred Frith or Klaus Blasquiz - and sounded more or less exactly like the original.

It's all fun! I mean, how can you NOT get in at least a tolerable mood from listening to/seeing this? I agree with you - it's the opposite of "prog", and I absolutely love it. If a "prog" band had done a cover of this...
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

"Those Were The Days" - Archie and Edith Bunker
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

The Shaggs' music (as found on The Philosophy of the World - now how's that for a Jon Milkmanderson-transgressingly pretentious album title?) dwells on a near-telepathical complexity level solely based on the intuitive communication of the sisters. There are things happening on that record (the LP, I mean) that's actually *WAY* more intricate than anything Yes achieved through months of meticulous planning and rehearsal. And I'm saying that as a Yes fan.
    I think I once heard of some music school hipster type who transcribed the whole thing and played it as a school project - complete with meticulously out-of-tune guitars and intricately-notated rhythmic stumbles.

How about "I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman" by Whistling Jack Smith (portrayed by a whistling actor in the video, unbeknownst to Jack Smith)?

Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.