Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rest in peace, Nic Potter

Rest in peace, Nic Potter

This was mentioned on the Avant Progressive list and Peter Hammil confirms it.

http://www.sofasound.com/latest.htm
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

He'd been sick for a while, but it was kept under wraps. Nic was great, I talked to him quite a bit during the time I was writing the VdGG book (and after). Very sad, but we knew it was coming.

A sad, sad day. I think i'll play some VDGG now.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I'm saddened to hear this.

He was a crucial part of the early VdGG, and I enjoyed the first Long Hello and some of his solo stuff as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

RIP Nic!

Quarkspace on Facebook
    Church of Hed on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths
    Church of Hed/Quarkspace on Bandcamp
    The QuarkspaceHed YouTube Channel

Man, this is sad.

Going to blast the VITAL live version of "Still Life" tonight. That there's some of the most in-your-face bass aside from mid-70s Wetton in KC.

R.I.P. to one of the best!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post

Going to blast the VITAL live version of "Still Life" tonight. That there's some of the most in-your-face bass aside from mid-70s Wetton in KC.

R.I.P. to one of the best!
    I remember Nic telling me that the uber-distorted bass sound was something he helped pioneer (that bass on Vital is monstrously wicked) and that suddenly everyone was doing it. I think he probably did come upon that sound on his own, but I've heard similiar sounds from Magma and, as you mention, Wetton in KC. But there's no denying that Nic definitely had his own unique (and brilliant) signature sound and style.

I saw him live with the K Group circa 1983 in Tel Aviv. A very powerful performance.
    He also has some solo albums and he also played with Rare Bird, Magna Carta and the Long Hello

Quote Originally Posted by zutul View Post
    He also has some solo albums and he also played with Rare Bird, Magna Carta and the Long Hello
    He's on a Chuck Berry album from '72, Colin Scot from '71, and I know he had short-lived bands (but did not record) with Jeff Beck and Paul Kossof. He also did a session with the Beach Boys. There's other stuff but it's just not hitting me off the top of my head.

I'm very saddened to hear this...
    R.I.P. Nic

Sad news.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

RIP Nic

I'll spin some VdGG when I get home tonight.

This is sad news indeed.

I remember during the early 90's seeing him live upstairs in a pub in London. Blue Zone Live gig.

The gig kicked off a bit late as he, and the band, were taking on all comers at Pool in the downstair bar.

Apart from his VdGG work I did enjoy his own music.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    He's on a Chuck Berry album from '72, Colin Scot from '71, and I know he had short-lived bands (but did not record) with Jeff Beck and Paul Kossof. He also did a session with the Beach Boys. There's other stuff but it's just not hitting me off the top of my head.
    Also the Tigers, a Police/Joe Jackson type band who made one album for A&M circa 1980. Of course you need a great bass player for that kind of music, and they sure had one.

that sucks

Vital will be mandatory listening tonight.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

I haven't followed his career outside of VdGG/PH/Long Hello. What should I pick up?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    What should I pick up?
    Must admit that The Blue Zone has always been a fave with me.

I bought a brilliant live cd from Nic's website a couple of years ago, recorded in Italy, Jaxon is in there, they play 3 or 4 VdGG tracks - & had a brief email correspondence with him whilst doing so - he carried on the conversation in a little note he popped into the parcel with the cd - a lovely experience, &, as I say, a fine album.

I'd have loved to see him play with the Vital era VdG - as it is, I count myself privileged to have seen him in the K band.

Very sad news.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, Nic.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I recently listened to Vital and found myself just simply adoring his playing. Time for a revisit in his honor.

Had he and pH fallen out some years ago, or am I misremembering?

From the message on Sofa Sound it looks like there had been a reconciliation, which is good.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

the riff in Pioneers over C was super cool, among other things.

Sad...anther great one gone. Saw him once with PH and violinist Stewart. RIP.
    There is no such thing as a stupid question. There are, however, a lot of inquisitive idiots.