Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rest in peace, Nic Potter

RIP Nic...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I just played Room temperature live. I think this is the first tour that I saw him play live with Peter Hammill and Suart Gordon. For me this is still the best Hammill-tour I've ever seen.

I have a couple of his solo cd's and they are , while not great, absolutely worthwhile.

I am sad to see one of my heroes go

Lino
    What a bummer of a time. Man, I'm still thinking a lot about Huw lloyd Langton...and now, Nic Potter. RIP

Lino
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Man, this is sad.

Going to blast the VITAL live version of "Still Life" tonight. That there's some of the most in-your-face bass aside from mid-70s Wetton in KC.

R.I.P. to one of the best!
    I listened to the first 3 songs on Vital last night after reading the news. Snarling, menacing bass.

Ended up spinning all of disc one of VITAL last night.

Damn, Potter's bass sounded like it wanted to eat your children.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Lino
    Superb work. I've always said, one of THE greatest live albums ever recorded.

A much underrated bassist. RIP.

Oh that's why Peter was posting all the comments and stories about Nic! What a shame, he was such a powerful presence and really a group player.

Sad news..Rest in peace, Nic.

Nic Potter RIP

It surprises me, that there hasn't been a RIP thread for Nic Potter of Van der Graaf Generator!

Nic Potter RIP

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/forme...r-passes-away/

(sorry, didn't see the previous thread)
    Last edited by Dedatolo; 01-20-2013 at 04:40 AM.

Very sad news. Always loved his playing and he was WAAAAY too young to go, I didn't see this coming/have been out of the loop. Will put on "The Least we can do" later and fish out my LPs of Vital.

His solo stuff is rarely mentioned anywhere... and there are some very good albums on Zomart.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    sorry to hear this. I believe he was also involved with projects such as spirits burning?

Quote Originally Posted by Fifth Element View Post
    It surprises me, that there hasn't been a RIP thread for Nic Potter of Van der Graaf Generator!
    Main page.
    "I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about."
    - Peter Griffin ("Family Guy")

Much more information, including a tribute from Guy Evans, at www.vandergraafgenerator.co.uk

Wow, Pick's disease...poor guy, he was suffering from such severe illness. Why did Hammill got rid of him in 1970? Shutters kept close, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Why did Hammill got rid of him in 1970? Shutters kept close, or what?
    Peter didn't get rid of him. Nic quit, and was still friends with the band (he played on Peter's first two solo albums shortly after, and even sat in with the band on the first night of the six bob tour [with Genesis & Lindisfarne] when Banton's bass pedals crashed. Nic just happened to be in the audience at the Lyceum and someone fished him out of the audience before VdGG went up and told him he had to play bass. He went up, picked up Mike Rutherford's bass guitar, and did the set from memory (he'd left a half year before).

Thanks for interesting details, Bucka001!

Obit from The Guardian, written by his sister Sally (a successful movie director; I only know one of her films, 'Rage', which starred Jude Law, Steve Buscemi, and Judy Dench): http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013...er?INTCMP=SRCH

Shit - Nic was Sally Potter's brother!! I had no idea. What a talented family!

She is a wonderful director - Orlando is a very special movie, based on Virginia Woolf's novel (& the breakthrough movie for the great Tilda Swinton, after whom my younger daughter is named); & I really liked her recently released Ginger & Rosa...

Ach...thanks for posting this link, Jim - I'd missed the obit. It is such a moving read.
    Last edited by per anporth; 01-28-2013 at 06:44 AM.

I've been offline for about 2 weeks and I come back to find this very sad news.

RIP Nic.

It also took her obit in the Guardian for me to realise that Nic was Sally Potter's brother. Had no idea. Sally of course sang on many Lindsay Cooper projects, including News From Babel (with Chris Cutler, Zeena Parkins, Dagmar Krause, Robert Wyatt...) and "Oh Moscow" (with Hugh Hopper etc.). Even then she was already a film director, but hadn't yet experienced major success in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    Obit from The Guardian, written by his sister Sally (a successful movie director; I only know one of her films, 'Rage', which starred Jude Law, Steve Buscemi, and Judy Dench): http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013...er?INTCMP=SRCH
    I'm sorry...but she didn't mention The Quite Zone/The Pleasure Dome album, where Potter's playing is most impressive, IMO.

A rememberance from Peter Hammill in the new journal entry over at www.sofasound.com