Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandcamp, Apple and the end of downloads

But doesnt a subscription service kind of doom any kind of listeners who prefer non-mainstream music? - I (for one) have not granted the rights of my music to a music subscription provider, so how will they gain access to obscure bands? - no one is more obscure than me. Will they just take the music? If I were a new artist, this would not exactly endear me to the subscription service model. Getting paid 3 cents on an album would not exactly be a cause for celebration. Would the payments to the artist be based on a percentage of total plays? Led Zeppelin and Katie Perry might love this, but Blue Vino, not so much. I would not even consider this as a model for any music I might release (which is the reason I will not release anything new).

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    They'll take your rare albums, charge other people to access them, and charge you for the privilege.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

It's going to take awhile for streaming to take hold. Signal strength is going to be a huge issue because despite what the maps of Verizon and Sprint show, there's still a significant portion of the US (and even worse in Canukistan) that are happy if they get three bars on their signal. Hell, I can drive forty miles either NE or W and lose my signal entirely. Satellite radio is somewhat more dependable but that's not streaming.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    hate streaming. they rarely have obscure music. you are subject to if you can get to the streaming. it uses up data. and if you get hacked, suspended or whatever, you lose all your music. Apple is becoming a bunch of fucking dicks-first with telling an entire demographic to fuck off by eliminating ipod classic, now with this no music download bullshit. fuck Apple.
    Do you mean you can no longer download iTunes purchases?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    ..............When the technology drastically improves (as well as having almost limitless global databases at any users disposal), streaming will more than likely boomerang and dominate because the need for actual files (FLAC, MP3, etc) will no longer be necessary , much in the same way MIDI has returned with a vengeance in music creation thanks to the drastic technological improvements of VSTi instruments, but we arent there yet, not by a long shot........................
    Wake me when things like Edith's "A Space Between Ever and Never," Summer Indoors' "There's Orangie," and Braindance's "Shadows" (still only ever released on cassette) are on those streaming services...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wake me when things like Edith's "A Space Between Ever and Never," Summer Indoors' "There's Orangie," and Braindance's "Shadows" (still only ever released on cassette) are on those streaming services...
    I couldn't listen to any of those nowadays anyway. I haven't had a cassette player since 1998. For physical media it's vinyl or CD only.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Streaming is now and ever shall be viable only for megapopular music.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Streaming is now and ever shall be viable only for megapopular music.
    Perhaps not newer artists, but I've found entire albums on YouTube by lesser known older artists. For example, I never would have heard of Raw Material if not for this forum, but their "Time Is. ." album is on YouTube.

I did purchase the CD from Amazon.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Then you sir are the welcome exception.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Perhaps not newer artists, but I've found entire albums on YouTube by lesser known older artists.
    Fan uploads? Those are not authorized, and generate no revenue to the band.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Fan uploads? Those are not authorized, and generate no revenue to the band.
    I have no idea. I didn't upload it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

I also purchased this CD from Amazon, which I never would have heard of if not for this forum,
    Capture.jpg

I can stream it for free with my Prime membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    It's going to take awhile for streaming to take hold. Signal strength is going to be a huge issue because despite what the maps of Verizon and Sprint show, there's still a significant portion of the US (and even worse in Canukistan) that are happy if they get three bars on their signal.
    For the most part, this happens in the more sparsely populated areas. As markets, they aren't necessary to service particularly well in order for the companies to make a lot of money. If they were, then they'd be serviced better. If 80-90% of the US population does not have signal strength issues, then that's more than enough to drive the market. What the remaining 10-20% does or does not have is not of any great importance.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Last.fm used to have cool obscure streaming, but decided to cater to GenSuck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

when I start doing podcasts, I'll play shit that will turn you white. stuff you don't expect to hear, and maybe you won't dig it, but you never heard it before.

Listeners who prefer non-manistream music can download or stream plenty at archive.org. Artists do not give away their rights to post there. There are no payments to artists either. I have many friends and collaborators who have no interest in receiving money for their music -- so very small is the compensation in most cases, and there is no question that generally the more money an artist makes, the more likely he or she is altering his or her artistic vision and/or lifestyle for the financial reward. I trade hard copies of my work with other artists, have sold many in my day as well, but since I started posting on archive.org, I've been rewarded by communications from many new contacts, collaborators, radio broadcasters, show promoters, etc. Non-mainstream art is beautiful all by itself - no purchase necessary.

Just checked, and some of my material is up on Youtube and it was put there by CD baby. I'm not sure I agreed to that, but it may be buried in the fine print somewhere. I'm not asking them to take it off, its 10 years old, I think It's run its course. I get regular checks from CD Baby - not big ones, but hey it adds up over the years.

I'm hoping in the next 10 years some method will eventually turn up that will allow Artists to get paid for someone playing their music. I dont expect that piracy will ever be eliminated, but it should not be the dominant method for music distribution. I think it pretty much is now, or at least it was in 2005 when I released my last CD.