Thread: Tom Petty's Mudcrutch - Boardering on Progressive?

Tom Petty's Mudcrutch - Boardering on Progressive?

saw them in Nashville on Tuesday...

longer extended songs, psychedelic style jamming, two guitars and Benmont stretching beyond the piano and B3 with more organ and synthesizer...

nearing Umphrey's McGeee territory, so would that make them almost progressive?

http://www.musiccitynashville.net/fi...-mudcrutch.php

I streamed the Mudcrutch 2 album on NPR a couple weeks ago. Definitely a lot looser and more organic than Petty's Heartbreakers material.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I saw Mudcrutch many years ago while attending the University of Florida. Petty and the band played the local bars with Mudcrutch. It's great that Petty never forgot those who helped him up the ladder...

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Tom Petty was as close to punk as southern rock ever got in the '70s. Now, to qualify that, you'd have to appreciate where I grew up; in west TN, where the weekly Top 40 was often 60/40, if not 50/50 rock to country-pop. Tom Petty seemed so edgy on those first few albums compared to good ol'boy jam rock of the day. Yeah, there was southern rock that was louder or harder, but Petty had such an outsider vibe; he seemed to sing through a sneer. Before so-called jangle rock, before jangle rock was synonymous with hipsters, there was Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Tom Petty was as close to punk as southern rock ever got in the '70s. Now, to qualify that, you'd have to appreciate where I grew up; in west TN, where the weekly Top 40 was often 60/40, if not 50/50 rock to country-pop. Tom Petty seemed so edgy on those first few albums compared to good ol'boy jam rock of the day. Yeah, there was southern rock that was louder or harder, but Petty had such an outsider vibe; he seemed to sing through a sneer. Before so-called jangle rock, before jangle rock was synonymous with hipsters, there was Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers.
    On the East Coast, jangle rock was never synonymous with hipsters.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    On the East Coast, jangle rock was never synonymous with hipsters.
    I don't think it was anywhere until the '90s or late '80s.