Thread: Beefheart / Van der Graaf collab

Beefheart / Van der Graaf collab

Well... not exactly CB and VdGG, but there has been a collaboration between Gary Lucas (Captain Beefheart's Magic Band, Jeff Buckley) and Peter Hammill ('nuff sed!). From Gary Lucas' FB page:

Just back from two magical days in Bath collaborating and recording with legendary Peter Hammill for our new duo project!! It was like a dream working with Peter. It was intense and ecstatic and moved like lightning. It felt so good playing and collaborating with him. I first saw Peter play on my first trip to the UK in June '73, directly after performing lead guitar in the European premiere of Leonard Bernstein's "Mass" in Vienna with the Yale Symphony Orchestra. I was already a fan of Peter's, I'd purchased the first album by his band Van Der Graaf Generator "The Aerosol Grey Machine" the day it came out on Mercury in '69. After checking out the London music scene (including hanging at the Marquee Club and visiting Charles Shaar Murray and Nick Kent at the NME offices), I took the train up to Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire to visit my friend Pete Frame, the founder/editor of ZigZag Magazine (and creator of the classic Rock Family Tree charts). We went off to see Peter who was performing solo at the Friars. This was shortly after his solo album "Chameleon in the Shadow of Night" had come out on Charisma. Peter was phenomenal, so powerful--I taped his set surreptitiously (I still have the cassette), and I met and spoke with him afterwards. He was super-friendly, highly intelligent-- a very nice guy off-stage. I saw him perform 5 or 6 years ago at the Royal Festival Hall Van Der Graaf show--I went with Mike Barnes and Claudia Bruken--and I re-connected with Peter shortly thereafter.

sounds excellent but the thread title seems a little misleading

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    sounds excellent but the thread title seems a little misleading
    Yeah, a bit devious on my part. Hey, I like to have a little fun every once in a while! ;-)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Van Der Vliet Generator.

Glad you guys have a sense of humor (the mods at progarchives changed the thread title, even after another poster had a chuckle over the sleight-of-hand... not surprised somehow)

That's great news on a sad day for VDGG fans. I love the brilliant collaboration of Lucas and Jeff Buckley. I hope this will be on that level.:-)

Sounds cool!

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Sounds cool!

Can't wait to hear more about this.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Gary Lucas said: I first saw Peter play on my first trip to the UK in June '73.... We went off to see Peter who was performing solo at the Friars. This was shortly after his solo album "Chameleon in the Shadow of Night" had come out on Charisma. Peter was phenomenal, so powerful.... I met and spoke with him afterwards. He was super-friendly, highly intelligent-- a very nice guy off-stage.
    By changing only the word "Friars" to "Wigmore Hall" I could've written this. Small world......
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    Glad you guys have a sense of humor (the mods at progarchives changed the thread title, even after another poster had a chuckle over the sleight-of-hand... not surprised somehow)
    That's what you get for posting at PA.

Do you know what we can expect from this release? Are any other musicians involved? Just curious, you know.

Lino
    INNERESTING!

Real interested to hear what comes out of this!

Going to drag this thread from the depths to see if anyone has an update on this ........

PH mentioned it in an interview with Innerviews and again on his website. Not much else is known, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Van Der Vliet Generator.

my thoughts exactly when I saw the thread title

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    Neither am I, really (though I'm a collab there)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'll be interesting in acquiring this. I can't fathom how these two can fail working together.