Thread: Mike Keneally/Marco Minnemann - Evidence of Humanity

Mike Keneally/Marco Minnemann - Evidence of Humanity

Didn't see any threads about this disc, so thought I'd start one.

Late to the party as usual, I just got this album about a week ago and have been listening to it over the last few days. There's some great stuff here. I was expecting something really difficult to get into for some reason, but it's not that way at all. It reminds me a little of Zappa (e.g. some of the music on Sleep Dirt) and Pat Metheny Group, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. There's a lot more going on here. It's simply beautiful. Mike's guitar and keyboard playing I really cannot get enough of, and Marco's drumming -- he is quite the singular talent. They both are, actually.

This is dense stuff, like a sonic deep-dish pizza. More please!

Anyone else listen to this record recently? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Didn't see any threads about this disc, so thought I'd start one.

I was expecting something really difficult to get into for some reason, but it's not that way at all.
    I had the same reaction six years ago when I first listened to it. Although it did take several listens to start absorbing all of the various musical components and stories. The way Mike constructed and segued his 17 musical chapters on top of Marco's drum solo makes it easier for the listener to decipher and absorb the work due to the distinct musical character of each section. And there is so much musical inventiveness and quality composition here to keep the listener interested and satisfied throughout the entire 51 minute piece. This album has been discussed here before, but it was probably several years ago on the old PE forum.

You guys are cool. I'm really happy with this album and it doesn't get mentioned often - very pleased to see this nice feedback, thank you sirs!

Thanks for posting.....................I'll pick this one up ASAP.

I was blasting DANCING on the big rig just last weekend................awesome stuff.

Is this the one where Marco laid down drum tracks and about a half dozen or so different guitarists did their own thing with it. They were all good and different. You should check them all out.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDrummer View Post
    Thanks for posting.....................I'll pick this one up ASAP.

I was blasting DANCING on the big rig just last weekend................awesome stuff.
    Dancing is a great disc. That was my first exposure to Mr. Keneally's music, and it made a heck of an impression. Doesn't get much better than that opening one-two punch of Live In Japan and Ankle Bracelet. Pretty Enough For Girls is also a beautiful tune.

Yes, definitely pick up Evidence of Humanity, you will not regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    You guys are cool. I'm really happy with this album and it doesn't get mentioned often - very pleased to see this nice feedback, thank you sirs!
    Thanks Mike! And I'm sorry for the musical comparisons -- surely that must get tiring. It was intended as a compliment, as Metheny's music especially has been very dear to my heart for a long time. Anything that recaptures some of that same spirit is noteworthy to me.

Right now, I think Clown Removal is my favorite section.

Can't wait to hear Scambot 2.

Mikey K is one of the greatest dudes to ever roam the Jupiter.....I mean Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Dancing is a great disc. Pretty Enough For Girls is also a beautiful tune.
    I LOOOOOOOOOOVE that tune. A little moment I won't soon forget: seeing MK/BFD at The Bottom Line NYC and they start playing "Pretty Enough For Girls".....that beginning groove in 7 while Beller does that bass groove in possibly another time sig (4/4 perhaps? I'm too lazy to dig it up - maybe it is 7 also?)....anyway....his head is bopping and my head head is bopping and we are both captivated with each other with smiles as wide as the night sky. Anyway, it was a great little moment that I always think of when I hear that tune

Pretty Enough For Girls is not just a tune, it's a grand composition.

sky home safe moan sigh

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    sky home safe moan sigh
    Gonna have to put the CD on now!

Another fantastic MK rekkid. And it has that cool, lengthy improv video on the DVD. Consider me bitch-slapped.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    And it has that cool, lengthy improv video on the DVD.
    Ah, I haven't even gotten to the DVD yet. Gives me something to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I LOOOOOOOOOOVE that tune. A little moment I won't soon forget: seeing MK/BFD at The Bottom Line NYC and they start playing "Pretty Enough For Girls".....that beginning groove in 7 while Beller does that bass groove in possibly another time sig (4/4 perhaps? I'm too lazy to dig it up - maybe it is 7 also?)....anyway....his head is bopping and my head head is bopping and we are both captivated with each other with smiles as wide as the night sky. Anyway, it was a great little moment that I always think of when I hear that tune
    It's great when that kind of thing happens. Just one of the many reasons why music is such a beautiful part of life's rich pageant. Wish I could have seen that...

Now I'm going to have to put that song on.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Pretty Enough For Girls is not just a tune, it's a grand composition.
    You're right; I did it a disservice earlier, by calling it a mere "tune".

Love the percussion instruments in that song, and the brilliant time sig changes. So much fun to listen to.

Was listening to Wing Beat Fantastic on the way in to work this morning. Good grief, how beautiful is Inglow? And the song Bobeau, with that jazzy drum shuffle, is just way too cool.

Jefferson James
    Mike's double-guitar solo on "Pretty Enough for Girls" is one of my favorite places to visit when I need some quiet time next to a stream with fragrant alders shading me from the summer sun. "Dancing" is truly remarkable as a whole, so many great moments and songs, but the synth break on "Selfish Otter" makes me cream, bun and jam. The BIG BEND gets me every time.

Thanks for the reminder to revisit "Evidence of Humanity", it's been awhile.

Apologies for the thread necromancy... I wanted to discuss this album again, and thought bringing the old thread back would be less cluttery than starting a whole 'nother one.

This CD is just so, so cool. It's been a while since I heard it, so I started it up today.

"Clown Removal", man...

I love this music. How do these guys come up with this stuff?! One guy improvise a 50+ minute drum solo, and then another guy comes up with musical accompaniment to it? Mike and Marco must operate several planes of existence above the one I live on to be able to do this and have it sound so great. We're not worthy.

The eons are closing
    I too just broke out the disc earlier this week after a long while away. I have a few of the 'drum solo' discs but this is tops.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

It turned out quite successful, didn't it? Mike's instincts and timing for choosing which beat to segue to another section is pretty amazing. And there is so much variety and distinct musical content within each of his musical chapters that the music holds up as separate pieces and as a whole. Evidence Of Humanity deserves a lofty place within his impressive body of work.