Thread: Duolingo

Duolingo

Anybody ever use this? I am attempting to "learn" Italian (have always wanted to), so I started doing this on Friday. So after 4 days, I am on level 6 (out of a possible 25 when complete) and it says I am 15% fluent in Italian. Ummm, no I'm not. But it is fun, and I am definitely learning a ton of stuff. Oh, and its free. Not bad.

Well, anyway, I'm gonna keep doing it until I complete the course and then see where I am, and what the next step will be.

https://www.duolingo.com/

Haven't heard of that, but I've been learning Italian for a few years now, but in the time honoured way, by visiting the country every year and while there speaking as much of it as I can and back home studying from language books, listening to Italian music, watching Italian films and TV, and reading Italian newspapers and magazines

2014 Sicilia (Ragusa, Siracusa, Catania, Modica, Augusta)
    2015 Roma e Firenze.

When in Italy the Italians love it when you use just a few words, and they are very forgiving of mistakes. And of course a smile, and indicating something and body language make up for lots of mistakes.

Both my sons ask me "Dad, do you speak Italian?" And that's because I have enough grammar and vocab to hold simple conversations and get by in most everyday situations, so to them it seems like I'm having long chats with people.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Haven't heard of that, but I've been learning Italian for a few years now, but in the time honoured way, by visiting the country every year and while there speaking as much of it as I can and back home studying from language books, listening to Italian music, watching Italian films and TV, and reading Italian newspapers and magazines

2014 Sicilia (Ragusa, Siracusa, Catania, Modica, Augusta)
    2015 Roma e Firenze.

When in Italy the Italians love it when you use just a few words, and they are very forgiving of mistakes. And of course a smile, and indicating something and body language make up for lots of mistakes.

Both my sons ask me "Dad, do you speak Italian?" And that's because I have enough grammar and vocab to hold simple conversations and get by in most everyday situations, so to them it seems like I'm having long chats with people.
    That's great mate. Good to know as well - we are travelling to Italia in summer '17. I am 100% Italian, but I only speak what DuoLingo has taught me . My grandmother was born in Roma and some of my other family hails from Amalfi (really beautiful there BTW - was there in '93). Ciao.

PS - try this program Peter - its flippin' amazing considering its free.