Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rob and Chad, Let's have a NEARFEST PHOENIX in 2017 !!

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    How fortunate for him, he picked the perfect style of music then!
    Made me laugh and cry both.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    If it was at Progday, Progday would have to have bands at night, which would be pretty cool in more ways than one.
    The venue has a sunset curfew so that ain't happening. Plus, there are for all practical purposes no lights on the field. When it gets dark, it gets really dark.

I think Geddy Lee should get into financing a festival. He's got the time and definitely has the cash. Of course that would mean the behemoth would be in Toronto but I doubt if PE members in Canukistan would protest.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I think Geddy Lee should get into financing a festival. He's got the time and definitely has the cash. Of course that would mean the behemoth would be in Toronto but I doubt if PE members in Canukistan would protest.
    I bought a compilation of Rush that is so mastered loud, I'd be afraid to show at a fest sponsored by him. Rush, King of the volume wars. I guess if you make everything else in the band sound like crap with compression, then maybe your voice doesn't sound as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The venue has a sunset curfew so that ain't happening. Plus, there are for all practical purposes no lights on the field. When it gets dark, it gets really dark.
    I seem to recall one year, they had to bring cars up to the stage and use the headlights whilst dismantling everything after the last band played (I think it was the year Arti E Mestieri played, because I recall there was a long delay while they were setting up...there was some kind of technical snafu with the gear, I think).

Banned
    Figured so, just living a fantasy[emoji6]

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I seem to recall one year, they had to bring cars up to the stage and use the headlights whilst dismantling everything after the last band played (I think it was the year Arti E Mestieri played, because I recall there was a long delay while they were setting up...there was some kind of technical snafu with the gear, I think).
    No, it was one of the first six. Arti set was shortened.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    No, it was one of the first six. Arti set was shortened.
    It was Mastermind, from one of the earliest feats, as Sean said.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It was Mastermind, from one of the earliest feats, as Sean said.
    Feats don't fail me now[emoji6]

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I was not there in 96, but have heard the story of car headlights being used for Mastermind after it got dark. In 98 The Flower Kings ran late and there were some actual stage lights provided by After The Fall if I remember correctly, but……the bottom line remains that the venue has a sunset curfew. The police have shown up more than once due to late running shows.

Car headlights have been used many times for the tear down on Sunday night. As I mentioned before it gets very very dark at Storybook and, car headlights are the only way to light things up on Sunday night at the end of the weekend.

Car headlights have been used many times for the tear down on Sunday night. As I mentioned before it gets very very dark at Storybook and, car headlights are the only way to light things up on Sunday night at the end of the weekend.
    Weather might also be a factor at times. Those clouds can roll in and linger, making the sunniest of days very gloomy.

I miss having a festival in my home city but I totally understand why the people who sweated blood and tears (and $$$) to make it happen have pulled the plug. Maybe somebody in Montreal will be willing to fill the void left behind but nobody has been stepping up to the plate!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I miss having a festival in my home city but I totally understand why the people who sweated blood and tears (and $$$) to make it happen have pulled the plug. Maybe somebody in Montreal will be willing to fill the void left behind but nobody has been stepping up to the plate!
    I was fortunate enough to get to 2 FMPM's and thoroughly enjoyed both. This year I went to Terra Incognita for the first time and had a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    How about supporting some of the festivals still going?
    I'll agree with this, especially PROGDAY which can really use it. However, I wouldn't be against a NEARfest in Phoenix Okay, would have to re-name it then.
    Deb S.
    The Prog-Rock Diner www.fcac.org/radio-fairfax
    SUNDAYS 10pm-12am EST

Quote Originally Posted by Progluvr View Post
    I'll agree with this, especially PROGDAY which can really use it. However, I wouldn't be against a NEARfest in Phoenix Okay, would have to re-name it then.
    So, would that be PEARfest or PHARfest ?? The only chance of another NEARfest is if they got the orig. members of Genesis together...

Banned
    There is only one logical name for a NF in the SW. SWARfest[emoji6]

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Maybe somebody in Montreal will be willing to fill the void left behind but nobody has been stepping up to the plate!
    Not since the Expos left.