Thread: Previously unheard gems on old compilations.

Previously unheard gems on old compilations.

I've created a few threads before about record label compilations from the perspective of the label itself and the bands in a label's stable.

BUT this time I want to focus on songs you heard for the first time recently (in the last few months) on old vinyl compilations. This time any compilations are acceptable not just label specific. But lets stick to labels no younger than the 80s.

Well, I'll kick off with an absolute gem I heard for the first time today on the 1973 Vertigo compilation Suck It And See, a vinyl copy of which I picked up a few days ago.

Bump 'N' Grind - Jackson Heights. I think the band name is why I have overlooked this band in the past. Jackson Heights to me sounds like it should be a funk or disco band. And song titles like "Bump 'N' Grind" also belong in disco or funk

But I'm pleasantly surprised at what I just heard this morning for the first time.

First heard this on a Conamus compilation LP:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

First heard on V compilation.

from Fill Your Head with Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Bump 'N' Grind - Jackson Heights. I think the band name is why I have overlooked this band in the past. Jackson Heights to me sounds like it should be a funk or disco band. And song titles like "Bump 'N' Grind" also belong in disco or funk
    Made up of the remnants of The Nice after Keith Emerson left, iirc.

From the Blue Thumb sampler, "All Day Thumb Sucker" (1970). Beauregard was 101 years old at the time of this recording.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    >>Jackson Heights to me sounds like it should be a funk or disco band.

To me it sounds like it should be a band from India.