Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stickmen - Deep

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Hopefully you didn't miss the latest Naked Truth album "Ourobouros". Great stuff and brilliant playing by Mastelotto.
    I've heard nice things about that one, I need to pick it up.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Haven't missed Ourobouros, just haven't gotten around to picking it up. Gotta get on that.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Agree about Naked Truth. Both their discs are fantastic. Absolutely love "Deep" too. Got my CD/DVD set the other day and look forward to watching the footage this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    Absolutely love "Deep" too. Got my CD/DVD set the other day and look forward to watching the footage this weekend.
    It's pretty nice. I'm always at least a little annoyed when someone inserts other stuff (interviews, road footage and the like) in between the live songs--I want it to feel like one live experience, dammit!--but this is still fun stuff on both counts.

Frazza did a great job on the mix too. It sounds big and heavy.

What tracks are instrumentals on Open and Absalom?

"Open" is entirely instrumental. I'm not great with song titles, but I think "Big Dog," "Crack in the Sky" and "Time's Insane Ashes" are the vocal tracks from Absalom.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    "Big Dog," "Crack in the Sky" and "Time's Insane Ashes" are the vocal tracks from Absalom.
    That's it exactly.

I also like how "Big Dog" is done as an instrumental on the DVD. Lyrics have never been Tony's strong suit; sometimes they're solid enough, but this is one case where I think the song works better without.

For anyone who's unsure or just curious about any of these, don't forget that all their releases with Markus are available to stream or download Bandcamp-style.

http://iapetus-store.com/

Thanks Matt!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    That's it exactly.

I also like how "Big Dog" is done as an instrumental on the DVD. Lyrics have never been Tony's strong suit; sometimes they're solid enough, but this is one case where I think the song works better without.

For anyone who's unsure or just curious about any of these, don't forget that all their releases with Markus are available to stream or download Bandcamp-style.

i disagree; i think SINGING isn't Levin's strong suit.

I'm seeing them tonight in Sellersville Pa. I will pick up the cd there. I'm looking forward to hear it performed live.

I'm going to the Annapolis show on the 28th. Trying to work out an interview at least with Markus about his Todmorden 513 symphonic project and hoping to get a word in with Pat and Tony, too. We'll see.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

The Firebird suite arrangement is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    i disagree; i think SINGING isn't Levin's strong suit.
    I'd say both, really.

Cusp, Horatio, Whale Watch and the Firebird suite were awesome at the Schenectady show. As were the Crimson numbers which included the heaviest song ever written!

It was great seeing them live. Boy what an intense show! They were really working the subwoofers at the Sellersville Theater. New songs were great. The band was very tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Cusp, Horatio, Whale Watch and the Firebird suite were awesome at the Schenectady show. As were the Crimson numbers which included the heaviest song ever written!
    "Indiscipline"?

I'm curious too. Anyone have a setlist?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    From Tony Levin's website from Toyko

http://www.papabear.com/tours/cpjapa...ok2setlist.jpg
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

This is from NY:

Nude Ascending Staircase
    Hide The Trees
    Crack In The Sky
    Breathless - (Robert Fripp cover)
    Cusp
    Industry - (King Crimson cover)
    Horatio
    Whale Watch
    On/Off
    Open, Pt. 3 - Truncheon
    Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part Two - (King Crimson cover)
    Encore:
    The Firebird Suite
    (Igor Stravinsky cover)

Looks to be the same as the one at Sellersville

Red instead of Industry at my show. Forgot about Breathless, which was another great one.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Gave it a listen...quite nice. Definitely a step up for Soup (haven't gotten Open yet). My one complaint (a silly one I admit)...I just wish the last two tracks were not back to back as they are.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    This is from NY:

Nude Ascending Staircase
    Hide The Trees
    Crack In The Sky
    Breathless - (Robert Fripp cover)
    Cusp
    Industry - (King Crimson cover)
    Horatio
    Whale Watch
    On/Off
    Open, Pt. 3 - Truncheon
    Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part Two - (King Crimson cover)
    Encore:
    The Firebird Suite
    (Igor Stravinsky cover)

Looks to be the same as the one at Sellersville
    Pretty much the same for Annapolis with a few tracks switched around.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Damn.
    Seems last night's Stickmen show at the Iridium in NYC was streamed live.
    Damn.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    That's it exactly.

Thanks, I'm interested in this stuff because somehow I never knew that Stickmen were at all Crim-like.