Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Heavy Covers

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    I used my browser's search function for "Vanilla" and it didn't come up. Ergo, my post (now deleted).
    Not your fault that I used the Zappa terminology. "Youze guys stink! Bring on da Fudge"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I'm saying that the CSNY cover of Joni Mitchell is a lot closer to "heavy" than the Dickies cover of S & G. IMO, loud and fast is not the same as heavy.
    Still irrelevant. The original post didn't outline what qualifies as "heavy". I realize that the Dickies aren't as heavy as, let's say, any metal band. But again it doesn't matter because the thread is not presented as looking for or debating the level of heaviness or effectiveness.

And it can be argued that the Dickies' "Silence" is a heavy cover, ESPECIALLY compared to the original. Which IS the point of the thread as I understand it.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

King Ping Meh, 'Come Together'

I'm saying that the CSNY cover of Joni Mitchell is a lot closer to "heavy" than the Dickies cover of S & G. IMO, loud and fast is not the same as heavy.
    I totally agree, far too many people equate the loud, furious and fast playing of garage rock and later punk rock with heavy. It isn't heavy, loud and fast is garage/punk music.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I totally agree, far too many people equate the loud, furious and fast playing of garage rock and later punk rock with heavy. It isn't heavy, loud and fast is garage/punk music.
    And I respectfully disagree.

There are different types of heavy, and punk is one of those types in my book. I notice that you posted the Stranglers' cover of "Walk on By".... well, I don't think that cover is nearly as heavy as the Dickies' "Sounds of Silence". And so what? (Yes, I said earlier that comparing levels of heaviness doesn't seem to be the point of this thread, but I'm doing so only to make a point). I think this illustrates that differences will exist among people about what constitutes "heavy". But just because someone declares that punk isn't heavy doesn't make it so.

Bottom line is that - IMO, of course - neither example which I cited in this post constitutes an egregious example of not fitting the thread's intent.

I propose to drop this argument. I'm not likely to post any other examples here, anyway, so if anyone's truly bothered that what I posted doesn't fit their criteria for heavy music, well, don't worry.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    I propose to drop this argument. I'm not likely to post any other examples here, anyway, so if anyone's truly bothered that what I posted doesn't fit their criteria for heavy music, well, don't worry.
    I propose not worrying about it, and go ahead and post more if you want to.

I propose not worrying about it
    That's the spirit, man.

A cover of Foyers Of Fun from the first Tempest album, performed by Denners Trickbag from Denmark.

Panzerballett has a bunch of amazing covers, done in much heavier versions than the originals.

Here is their version of Pink Panther.

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Can't say I've read this entire thread, but if this one isn't on it, it should have been.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.