Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Covers

How about Van Halen's take on Pretty Woman and Dancing in the Street.

Great prog-metal band, Lemur Voice did this cover of Michael Jackson's "Beat It".

With a couple of jazz breaks.

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Disturbed - Land of Confusion (Genesis)
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

“Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

I don't think there will be any debate over whether this is 'heavy' or not. Faust do Bob Dylan's A Hard Rain's a Gonna Fall.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyiceu View Post
    CSNY, Joni Mitchell's 'Woodstock'
    Joni's version is far heavier than the CSNY one
    The music was hot, but my baby was not.

Really? CSNY and Joni Mitchell? Someone has misunderstood the purpose of this thread.

I called the thread heavy covers rather than hard rock/metal covers in an naive attempt to avoid what would have been the inevitable argument about what is and isn't hard rock/metal. Yet now we are getting folk songs by folk artists being posited as heavy. I just can't win!

Nazareth - This Flight Tonight
    Cactus - Long Tall Sally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't confuse this with heavy.

Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Banned

Last edited by Svetonio; 05-26-2016 at 09:09 AM.

You could also add their apocalyptic version of Eight Miles High

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post

Limp Bizkit's version of Faith (George Michael) is also worthy of a mention

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I wouldn't normally think of slapping another title on a Beethoven piece, as a 'cover', but I agree.

The Dickies' priceless take on "Sounds of Silence".

"I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    Why, "You Keep Me Hangin' On" by Vanilla Fudge, of course.

The controversial CSNY post was closer to the mark than the Dickies post, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I used my browser's search function for "Vanilla" and it didn't come up. Ergo, my post (now deleted).
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Well again, I did a search before posting. But I searched "Dickies", not "Sounds of Silence".

And did you mean Nevermore? Well, the two covers are certainly different. Leaving alone the fact that they're different genres, the Dickies cover is mainly funny, while Nevermore's version sounds more disturbed. But they're both heavy, so the Dickies' cover qualifies for the thread IMO.

That said, if I'd known Nevermore's cover had been posted, I might not have bothered with the Dickies post.

When it comes to a thread that's already exceeded the first page, I'm going to scan the thread or use the search function to see if someone's already posted what immediately comes to my mind. If I see no evidence of such, then I post, and then go through the thread at my own pace instead of having to rush through it first.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Last paragraph of the fampus Rolling Stone record review, in 1974, of the Deja Vu album:

There is much on this album of real merit. "Helpless," "Carry On" and "Teach Your Children" are excellent songs, well performed. But for me Crosby, Stills and Nash — plus or minus Neil Young — will probably remain the band that asks the question, "What can we do that would be really heavy?" And then answers, "How about something by Joni Mitchell?"

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/al...#ixzz49msoMBrF
    Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by yoyiceu View Post
    Last paragraph of the fampus Rolling Stone record review, in 1974, of the Deja Vu album:

[snip]
    OK, thanks to your post I now see that Dave (in MA) and I were talking about two different things.

Well, I've never been a fan of either CSNY or Joni Mitchell, so I didn't get what Dave meant. But surely, there isn't much point in comparing two different bands doing two different covers? I mean, this thread isn't "who did the most effective heavy cover".
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Let's be very honest with ourselves though guys, very little of what Nazareth did was truly heavy. Nazareth with their soft "hard rock" were by my reckoning the first band of that type, long before all the soft hair metal bands of the 80s. Rainbow were a close second. I think DC must have had a gutful of hearing that type of stuff, because when he emerged with his Whitesnake albums at the end of the 70s he certainly had put the balls back into that specific type of blues based metal. I've got a huge vinyl collection of this type of soft "hard rock" from the 70s and Nazz and Rainbow were far from alone. Don't get me wrong I love this type of hard rock, but very little of it is HEAVY.

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    Well again, I did a search before posting. But I searched "Dickies", not "Sounds of Silence".

And did you mean Nevermore? Well, the two covers are certainly different. Leaving alone the fact that they're different genres, the Dickies cover is mainly funny, while Nevermore's version sounds more disturbed. But they're both heavy, so the Dickies' cover qualifies for the thread IMO.
    I'm saying that the CSNY cover of Joni Mitchell is a lot closer to "heavy" than the Dickies cover of S & G. IMO, loud and fast is not the same as heavy.