Thread: Question concerning Banco's "As in a Last Supper" vs. "Come in Un'ultima Cena"

Question concerning Banco's "As in a Last Supper" vs. "Come in Un'ultima Cena"

Just wondering if the only difference in the English-language version vs. the Italian-language version is the vocals. I had the English LP back in the 70's, sold it a few years later, and then got the Italian CD years later, so I never had a chance to compare them. Is the music exactly the same? If you look on Prog Archives, the timings are slightly different, which leads me to believe that there are differences in the music, not just the vocals.
    Last edited by soundsweird; 05-24-2016 at 06:51 PM.

If there are any differences they are very minimal. I have never noticed any.

There's no difference whatsoever. I believe even the (attemptively) English vox was laid down by Peter Kaukonen (producer, Jorma's bro'!) right after the Italian, so the vocals come out with the exact same timbre.

It's a magnificent album either way, IMO one of the most underrated releases by a (fairly) major band in 70s European progressive rock music.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ......It's a magnificent album either way, IMO one of the most underrated releases by a (fairly) major band in 70s European progressive rock music.
    Agreed! There's something about the songs, the flow, the overall vibe of this record I find very appealing. An excellent example of a truly great Prog album, with predominantly shorter pieces (not that I don't like longer form songs...I enjoy a well written epic!).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've never heard the English version of this or the two PFM albums that were recorded in English. Never felt the need.

Thanks folks, sounds like I don't need to track down the English version!

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Thanks folks, sounds like I don't need to track down the English version!
    Either way you wouldn't have. Marva Jan Marrow's English lyrics are fairly alright, but Di Giacomo's verbal delivery left a LOT to be desired.

^ Jed, as for PFM's English renditions (Photos of Ghosts and The World Became the World), the mix is different and the song order rearranged, the 'tron intro to "Appena un Po" (from Per un Amico) is removed altogether and Photos contains an additional track, the absolutely gorgeous instrumental "Old Rain". What's troublesome with the English PFM Versions, however, is the fact that a) Sinfield abstained from the band's leftist/socially conscious universe of lyrics, and b) Mussida was the only member with a minimum of experience in English verb, yet still it isn't particularly good. I mean, the vocals on Cook (the live album) is disastrously abominable. IMO, of course.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Either way you wouldn't have. Marva Jan Marrow's English lyrics are fairly alright, but Di Giacomo's verbal delivery left a LOT to be desired.
    I’ve only heard a few tracks off of As in a Last Supper and no, I don’t feel any burning need to own it. Marva Jan Marrow at least tried to capture the spirit of the originals with her lyrics, even if it frequently resulted in some awkward turns of phrase.

I would say that the self-titled Banco album is worthwhile for two things: a) the two new tracks (“Chorale” and “L’albero del pane”) and b) the re-recordings of a couple of tracks off the first album. First: the production on that first BMS album was abominable, I can’t believe a major (by Italian standards) label released something that sounded so garage-y! Second: the extended version of “Metamorphosis” with the dazzling Gianni Nocenzi piano solo is a must-hear!

^ Jed, as for PFM's English renditions (Photos of Ghosts and The World Became the World), the mix is different and the song order rearranged, the 'tron intro to "Appena un Po" (from Per un Amico) is removed altogether and Photos contains an additional track, the absolutely gorgeous instrumental "Old Rain".
    Only Photos of Ghosts vastly differs sonically from the original recording. It also adds “Celebration,” an inferior re-recording of “È festa” from the first album. TWBTW is the same album as L’isola di niente save for the title track (a re-recording of “Impressioni di settembre”) and the English lyrics. What seriously confuses me: the re-titling of the instrumental “Via Lumière” as “Have Your Cake and Beat It.” That’s just unnecessary!

What's troublesome with the English PFM Versions, however, is the fact that a) Sinfield abstained from the band's leftist/socially conscious universe of lyrics, and b) Mussida was the only member with a minimum of experience in English verb, yet still it isn't particularly good. I mean, the vocals on Cook (the live album) is disastrously abominable. IMO, of course.
    To say nothing of the fact that Sinfield’s lyrics are bad even for him; stoned nonsense doggerel of the worst kind. “Promenade the Puzzle” is bad enough, but when rendered through Premoli’s/Mussida’s stumbling attempts to wrap their tongues around the unfamiliar English language, it becomes an embarrassment.
    Last edited by Progbear; 05-27-2016 at 10:55 PM.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...