Thread: Gord Downey

Gord Downey

Sadly released news that Gord Downey of The Tragically Hip has terminal brain cancer.

I'm sure all prayers and good vibes will be appreciated.
    One of Canada's best bands of the last 3 decades.

Super nice and self effacing fellow.

DtB

I just read about this. Awful news. People outside Canada have no clue how popular the Hip are in Canada.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Was just coming here to share the bad news.... 52 years old... Excuse the bad pun but it's tragic....
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I just watched the national news in Canada and they confirmed Gord's disease is terminal. Still, he plans on touring with the Tragically Hip. Unreal.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 05-24-2016 at 11:12 PM.

Wow, bummer. I never got into Tragically Hip much until I saw them live opening for Eric Johnson many years ago. Gord was one of the most interesting front men I have ever witnessed and I became a convert to the band. They have always had a pretty strong following here in Michigan which is not unusual for Canadian bands since we are right across the border. Anyway…..this is very sad news.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Wow, bummer. I never got into Tragically Hip much until I saw them live opening for Eric Johnson many years ago. Gord was one of the most interesting front men I have ever witnessed and I became a convert to the band. They have always had a pretty strong following here in Michigan which is not unusual for Canadian bands since we are right across the border. Anyway…..this is very sad news.
    I still can't believe it's terminal - such a young age. Glad you like the TH's music.

Jon Neudorf
    Huge shock when I read this. Tragic...

The final Tragically Hip show happens tonight in their hometown of Kingston, Ontario, and is being broadcast on CBC as well as at various places all over Canada (for example, there's a huge gathering at the waterfront here in Burlington where it is being shown).

Sad day!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Fantastic concert!! Fitting end to this wonderful Canadian band!

Words fail...what a night.

Farewell Tragically Hip... long may you be remembered.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

From the 3rd and final encore last night.

That was a great show.

I didn't like the Hip when I first heard them, but over the years I warmed up to them as I heard more of their stuff. They became more diverse in their writing over time, but they managed to keep an essential element of being Canadian in their music. Hard to define what that is, exactly, but it's there.

Downie's lyrics and delivery are strange, beautiful and extremely powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    they managed to keep an essential element of being Canadian in their music. Hard to define what that is, exactly, but it's there.
    Eh?

they managed to keep an essential element of being Canadian in their music. Hard to define what that is, exactly, but it's there.
    Agreed. And there was never anything saccharine about the lyrics. It was never blind patriotism or a smug sense of preeminence. It was simply... Canadian.

As time passes since that Saturday night 'farewell' concert, I realize more and more that what we were witnessing was a powerful and compelling chapter in Canadian music history. I will miss The Tragically Hip. More importantly, I will miss living in a time when life was a little more fair to Gord Downie.

I didn't like the Hip when I first heard them, but over the years I warmed up to them as I heard more of their stuff. They became more diverse in their writing over time, but they managed to keep an essential element of being Canadian in their music. Hard to define what that is, exactly, but it's there.
    I was the same way. I had a friend who was really into them and kept lending me their albums, but nothing was clicking with me. Then I got to see them live as an opening act for Eric Johnson and they blew me away. I finally “got it” and have been a fan ever since. Yea, Gord is one of the most unique front men I have ever seen.