Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Portnoy Says New Neal Morse Band album will be their Tommy meets The Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Hopefully it would include the omitted book of zeke the elder who wrote of Jesus teen years.

Zeke 9:19 "He foughteth thy law, and thy law won".
    Speaking of his teen years it bugs me (OK, lotsa stuff bugs me) that his name was Joshua, so when he was playing football (soccer) it was "pass it here, Josh", or, "Josh, run to the market we're out of hummus", or "Josh, please pass the jelly." If he's real he's probably wondering who this Jesus fellow is and why he's been totally forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    It will be the greatest Prog album of all time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Only until Trump makes his.

I'm going to stand a few feet away from this thread, just in case....
    The older I get, the better I was.

When Portnoy screams at the crowd, "nothing but fucking praise music!" this alliance will have come full circle.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

It's funny, between Morse and Portnoy these guys have created some of my favorite music. Yet, for some reason, I am completely disinterested in this. I think I'm just burned out on them..

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    It's funny, between Morse and Portnoy these guys have created some of my favorite music. Yet, for some reason, I am completely disinterested in this. I think I'm just burned out on them..
    Same for me. The problem is that once you know (and understand) Neil Morse's compositional processes and tricks you can already predict how his next work will sound even without hearing a single note of it. Of course, there will be epics, some catchy tunes, great melodies and instrumental sections, bombastic drumming, excellent musicianship, etc... but for someone following N.M since his early Spock's Beard days I don't expect anything new or innovative. Do I really need more of the same ? I stepped down and lost interest in this prog-system-music a couple of years ago. But for those who don't already know N.M there's no doubt this will be a great and enjoyable record.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Same for me. The problem is that once you know (and understand) Neil Morse's compositional processes and tricks you can already predict how his next work will sound even without hearing a single note of it. Of course, there will be epics, some catchy tunes, great melodies and instrumental sections, bombastic drumming, excellent musicianship, etc... but for someone following N.M since his early Spock's Beard days I don't expect anything new or innovative. Do I really need more of the same ? I stepped down and lost interest in this prog-system-music a couple of years ago. But for those who don't already know N.M there's no doubt this will be a great and enjoyable record.
    I don't agree, but I understand where you are coming from. Neal has a certain style / approach / formula. That being said, don't discount the added contributions of Eric Gillette and Bill Huber(?). I think the last release was Neal's strongest since One. It came across as more of a collaborative effort.

BTW, the new Eric Gillette solo release featuring members of Haken should be out soon, called the Great Unknown.

it sound like this new project will be something more in lines of his Testimony & Snow albums. i got the Testimony CD's back in December and although i'm still listening to it, i still haven't 'absorbed' the whole concept. i'm not even sure i will, it's just so much material going in so many different areas. this new project can be brilliant, but will the fans be able to grasp it right away?

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Well that first run of 4 albums is going to be hard to top (Testimony, One, ?, Sola) but I'm in to find out!

BTW how is that new track "Falling for Forever" on the Spock's compilation? Neal wrote it and features all band members right?
    Amazing song!!! I love it!!!
    The Prog Corner

I totally get it. I do. And I'm a huge fanboy. But let's see here. What you can expect from a NMB record:

1) Epics (I like those.)
    2) Catchy tunes (Hey, Neal Morse is the only Prog artists my wife can stand listening to.)
    3) Great melodies (More Prog artists should try writing melodically. It's good for the soul.)
    4) Bombastic drumming (Count me in!!!)
    5) Excellent musicianship (No one here hates that, do they?)

Prog-system-music. I like that!!! Maybe I just find safety and comfort in the loving arms of traditional Prog.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I totally get it. I do. And I'm a huge fanboy. But let's see here. What you can expect from a NMB record:

I was a huge N.M fan too, but...

1) Epics (I like those.)

I like epics too but not 30 minutes (or more) long ones. You must be a very talented and clever composer to keep audience attention for such a long time and unfortunately N.M is not up to that level. The Light was only about 15 min. long and the greatest classic prog epics doesn't usually exceed 20 minutes. This is where N.M, Transatlantic and The Flower Kings lost me: their epics became too long and boring.

2) Catchy tunes (Hey, Neal Morse is the only Prog artists my wife can stand listening to.)

Nothing against catchy tunes but It's no secret that N.M is a big Beatles fan and it seems he feel obligated to include some Beatlessy sounding harmonies/tunes in each an every of his records. Why not, but again (for me) this became a too systematic and predictable recipe. And N.M is no Beatles and never will be. (someone should tell him)

3) Great melodies (More Prog artists should try writing melodically. It's good for the soul.)

No doubt that N.M is a gifted melodist but after following him since 1995 SB's debut I have the feeling he's allways using the same tricks: fast arpeggios followed by simple thematic solo lines , followed by the same in reverse order. Again, and again...

4) Bombastic drumming (Count me in!!!)

The biggest problem for me is Mike Portnoy's drumming which is too personal (after all he's a drum-hero) and lack of finesse, his strong bombastic drumming style contributes to the sameness of all N.M productions. M.P is an excellent drummer but N.M should definitely try some other drummers to add some variety and nuances in his music. (Like The Flower Kings who tried many different drummers, all excellent but stylistically different)

5) Excellent musicianship (No one here hates that, do they?)

This is the least we should expect from a prog super-group.

Prog-system-music. I like that!!! Maybe I just find safety and comfort in the loving arms of traditional Prog.
    I understand but personally I don't like any system-music where everything is based on the same recipe, even if the recipe is excellent. I like (and sometimes expect) to be surprised. That's why I have the greatest respect for artists like Frank Zappa or Todd Rundgren who adventured in allmost every possible musical genres (good or bad) but were allways innovative and unpredictable. I still enjoy listening to N.M (or Transatlantic) and have everything up to the Grand Experiment but I really don't need more of the same and I can't find any reasons to believe that this next record will be significantly different from the previous one(s). Still, I'm sure it will be a great record for new N.M fans
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 05-26-2016 at 12:14 PM.

I understand but personally I don't like any system-music where everything is based on the same recipe, even if the recipe is excellent. I like (and sometimes expect) to be surprised. That's why I have the greatest respect for artists like Frank Zappa or Todd Rundgren who adventured in allmost every possible musical genres (good or bad) but were allways innovative and unpredictable. I still enjoy listening to N.M (or Transatlantic) and have everything up to the Grand Experiment but I really don't need more of the same and I can't find any reasons to believe that this next record will be significantly different from the previous one(s). Still, I'm sure it will be a great record for new N.M fans
    I'm paradoxical! I expect a certain type of music from certain artists & have been bitterly disappointed by a few who have ventured or tried different paths/ genres etc! It's usually at that point I lose interest & stop buying their music. Neal Morse plays to his audience & he knows what they want/expect. Trying new things doesn't necessarily mean being 'innovative' & can equally be disappointing. In regards to being 'unpredictable' doesn't also make an artist interesting & can equally be annoying to hear. If I want to listen to a certain genre of music I automatically know which artists to listen to, to meet that need! If NM made a jazz, avant garde, blues, soul, heavy metal album etc. I'm sure I would be disappointed and stop buying his music. It's not that I don't enjoy those genre's of music it's just that I don't expect or want to hear it from Neal Morse!

So now it has come so far that the pissing starts just after an album is even announced...... PE = PEE. I mean come on, Neal Morse is one of the greatest composers of GOOD music in the last half century. Do you guys want him to make a friggin' reggea album or what else? @Sean: You asked me to "define" pissing. Well, it's what dogs do to make sure any other dog knows he was there before....
    Last edited by Jos; 05-26-2016 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I'm paradoxical!
    Okay go with that.

I completely respect that. However, I have a slightly different opinion. It's all good though. There's plenty of great music out there!!!
    The Prog Corner

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I'm paradoxical! I expect a certain type of music from certain artists & have been bitterly disappointed by a few who have ventured or tried different paths/ genres etc! It's usually at that point I lose interest & stop buying their music. Neal Morse plays to his audience & he knows what they want/expect. Trying new things doesn't necessarily mean being 'innovative' & can equally be disappointing. In regards to being 'unpredictable' doesn't also make an artist interesting & can equally be annoying to hear. If I want to listen to a certain genre of music I automatically know which artists to listen to, to meet that need! If NM made a jazz, avant garde, blues, soul, heavy metal album etc. I'm sure I would be disappointed and stop buying his music. It's not that I don't enjoy those genre's of music it's just that I don't expect or want to hear it from Neal Morse!
    Channeling Yanks! God bless ya!

Despite the already mentioned predictability of most Morse releases (I can always, on first listen, tell the theme/melody that's going to repeat in the grand finale to each epic for example), I'm looking forward to this one more than usual, and I don't really know why. I like the band he has now, maybe that's it...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Usually try to follow the "if you don't have anything nice to say thing", but in response to Portnoy's hyperbolic statement, this sounds unbearably dreadful to me. Sorry I'll take the "depressing" Wall over the Neal Morse Jesus Train any day! And didn't Portnoy's torture us enough with the overblown I was a drunk now I'm not bombast with three (if I remember correctly) lengthy Dream Theater songs?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by avaron View Post
    Usually try to follow the "if you don't have anything nice to say thing",
    Right. I can see that.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I did say usually lol! Besides he compared it to two classic and influential albums whether you happen to like them or not. He should hold off on such bold statements, put it out and see what happens.

I'm not buying it either way so I'll stfu now.

Quote Originally Posted by avaron View Post
    the Neal Morse Jesus Train
    [Roll up! Roll up for the Neal Morse Jesus Train!
    Step right this way!]

Roll up, roll up for the Jesus Train
    Roll up (And that's an invitation), roll up for the Jesus Train
    Roll up (To make a reservation), roll up for the Jesus Train
    The Neal Morse Jesus Train is waiting to take you away
    Waiting to take you away
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Morse's works are like ear-candy to me. You know what it's going to sound like and as long as you like that sound, you'll enjoy the music. The lyrical themes are somewhat tiresome for someone who was only born the requisite number of times, but then again, I'm an atheist.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    [Roll up! Roll up for the Neal Morse Jesus Train!
    Step right this way!]

Roll up (And that's an invitation), roll up for the Jesus Train
    Roll up (To make a reservation), roll up for the Jesus Train
    The Neal Morse Jesus Train is waiting to take you away
    Waiting to take you away
    I don't know about NM but I think you should see your GP !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Morse's works are like ear-candy to me. You know what it's going to sound like and as long as you like that sound, you'll enjoy the music. The lyrical themes are somewhat tiresome for someone who was only born the requisite number of times, but then again, I'm an atheist.
    Totally agree, I have a lot of respect for Morse but as usual I expect I'll love it at first but then get bored with it because it sounds like all his other albums.