Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Oldfield- Return to Ommadawn

Oldfield has a way of bouncing back and doing something incredible after losing his way, so I'm hopeful about this. Amarok was originally started as an Ommadawn II, but he said it morphed into something of its own, and remains in my top 5 Oldfield releases. I also think TBII and some of TBIII are quite good, so just the fact that this is a sequel doesn't necessarily speak against it. I think the two things that give me the most hope for this are the instrument list posted above and that Mike is quoted as saying that he hasn't had this much fun making music in years. Here's hoping for something great!
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Guess I need to first familiarize myself with the original album. Or should I skip it?
    I feel it's his best work.

Except sometimes when I listen to Tubular Bells I or Amarok or...

Honestly, it's a top tier album for me.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    Oldfield has a way of bouncing back and doing something incredible after losing his way, so I'm hopeful about this. Amarok was originally started as an Ommadawn II, but he said it morphed into something of its own, and remains in my top 5 Oldfield releases. I also think TBII and some of TBIII are quite good, so just the fact that this is a sequel doesn't necessarily speak against it. I think the two things that give me the most hope for this are the instrument list posted above and that Mike is quoted as saying that he hasn't had this much fun making music in years. Here's hoping for something great!
    Without hope you cannot start the day.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Without hope you cannot start the day.
    I find the obligation of earning a paycheck typically starts my day. (that and a shower)
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Guess I need to first familiarize myself with the original album. Or should I skip it?
    Do not skip this album!!
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

He's been producing nothing but drivel since Crises. I don't think the addition of acoustic instruments or name-checking a past-glory will change things.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    The remains of Tubular Bells must finally have gone to the glue factory.

Mike is quoted as saying that he hasn't had this much fun making music in years.
    Although he wasn't having much fun when he recorded the original. Nevertheless I can't help but look forward to the possibilities of this sequel - Side 1 of Ommadawn is my favourite Oldfield piece.

should I skip it?
    NO. It's the masterpiece of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Not that fussed on Tubular Bells 3 though...there's basically nothing to musically link it to the original, whereas the 2nd one did follow the same template.
    There are several things to link it to the original, but the album uses them subtly instead of following the same template section for section. I think that's why TB3 works so well, actually--it's much more successful than another sort-of-retread would have been. If nothing else, it has the greatest finale of any Bells album by a country mile.
    Last edited by Spiral; 05-25-2016 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    If nothing else, it has the greatest finale of any Bells album by a country mile.
    Totally agree re: TB3. "Far Above the Clouds" raises the hairs on the back of the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Impman View Post
    Totally agree re: TB3. "Far Above the Clouds" raises the hairs on the back of the neck.
    That is a brilliant moment I agree!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I tend to agree but to be honest I prefer the stuff that revisits the past rather than the newer approach, he has evolved a lot just not in directions I like.
    Yep. I'm very curious to hear this. And his first four albums are pretty timeless to me. Unlike some of his later stuff.

Mike is quoted as saying that he hasn't had this much fun making music in years. Here's hoping for something great!
    I keep coming back to this statement.

You mean Mike has been churning out music the past several years -- music we seem to all agree is tedious and uninspired -- and he wasn't enjoying it either? WTF? Why didn't he become a chartered accountant or something?

I keep coming back to this statement.

You mean Mike has been churning out music the past several years -- music we seem to all agree is tedious and uninspired -- and he wasn't enjoying it either? WTF? Why didn't he become a chartered accountant or something?
    At least during his Ibiza years, he seemed to be having fun doing other things.

You mean Mike has been churning out music the past several years -- music we seem to all agree is tedious and uninspired -- and he wasn't enjoying it either?
    I understood it to mean he enjoyed the previous albums at least somewhat, but making this one has been a step above.

I think it is an excellent album. Give it a whirl!
    Great to hear about this new, upcoming release. thank you for the notice!

Ommadawn is an absolute masterpiece. My personal favourite Oldfield piece. Do not skip it. It's like skipping The Lamb getting into Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    Ommadawn is an absolute masterpiece. My personal favourite Oldfield piece. Do not skip it. It's like skipping The Lamb getting into Genesis.
    Thank you!
    I would have said something closer to this but then I might receive the ultimate Progressive Ears put-down: being called a fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Thank you!
    I would have said something closer to this but then I might receive the ultimate Progressive Ears put-down: being called a fanboy.
    I've only really heard Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn and Platinum, so I don't qualify for "fan" yet, let alone "fanboy".

As a young man I spent many of hours listening to Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn. I look forward to this. Every time either of these spin, I feel the hair on my neck stand up. Very fond memories, and superb musically.

Same sort of feeling when I listen to Rock Bottom by Robert Wyatt..

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Somehow I've managed to go all these years without ever owning or even hearing any Oldfield apart from Tubular Bells. I suspect that if I bought them, within a month there'd be an announcement of a forthcoming Wilson-engineered deluxe release.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Somehow I've managed to go all these years without ever owning or even hearing any Oldfield apart from Tubular Bells. I suspect that if I bought them, within a month there'd be an announcement of a forthcoming Wilson-engineered deluxe release.
    Then by ALL MEANS, please do go buy them!! Now!
    (but seriously, Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn are stunningly good.)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Tubular Bells II was quite good, I thought, so you never know. Ommadawn is my absolute favourite Oldfield album, so it's a high standard to reach!
    I share both sentiments... I actually like TBII better than the original (that is if I skip the Piltdown/who's yer daddy section)

Ommadawn is his greatest album as a whole
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Ommadawn is one of the albums I have on vinyl. I also have the single of In dulci jubilo, which isn't on the album. Actually, that is the only single I ever bought.