Thread: RIP Nick Menza (Megadeth & Ohm)

RIP Nick Menza (Megadeth & Ohm)

I just saw this on FB. Former Megadeth drummer who was also with the band Ohm just passed away from heart failure.

https://www.facebook.com/topic/Nick-...96637714759650

Wow. RIP. Ohm is hard on drummers. During a show, tragic.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

RIP. Sorry to read about this 51 is way too young. Love Megadeth.

Just saw this over on UCR. Damn, that blows.

Speechless.

With OHM, a few months ago at The Baked Potato-

And about a week later jamming at the NAMM show-

Way too young.... R.I.P.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

http://www.megadeth.com/news

*** In Remembrance Of Nick Menza 1964-2016

I woke up this morning to a text message from my son, with the news of Nick Menza's passing. Shocked, devastated, and saddened don't begin to describe my feelings.

Originally a tech for the band, Nick soon displayed such talent and personality, it didn’t take long for us to realize he belonged on stage with us, behind the kit. We asked Nick to join Megadeth as our drummer in 1989. At the time, the band already had its first platinum album, which only served to stoke the fire. We all wanted world domination- with so much of our lives and dreams ahead of us. As we navigated through the pitfalls of life and the music business, our first album with Nick, Rust in Peace, and subsequent albums Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia, kept up the momentum. We parted ways after Cryptic Writings. We, like all brothers, would disagree at times, but our bond was strong throughout.

As a player, Nick had a very powerful jazzy flair, unpredictable and always entertaining, and as great a drummer as he was, the time spent with him as a person, a bandmate, and a friend was even more fun. There were several times we discussed him coming back to the band, but for various reasons it never came together. We've been in touch all along, he had come out to our shows recently, and he had remained a great friend, a true professional and a larger than life personality.

The Megadeth family take care of each other, and expect to hear soon about an initiative to help Nick's children. All of us in this community are connected, take care of yourself and your loved ones.

My deepest condolences go out to Nick's family.

Dave Mustaine ***
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

^ very moving and touching words from someone who, of recent, has been a bit hit-and-miss with public statements.

i remember seeing MEGADETH several times during the 1990s … and they had a terrific run of albums. menza was a towering drummer and, in many ways, defined the band during that period. 2016 is a ruthless beast. RiP.