Thread: FEATURED CD: Brian Auger's Oblivion Express - Second Wind

FEATURED CD: Brian Auger's Oblivion Express - Second Wind

Today's feature is the 1972 release from Brian Auger's Oblivion Express titled Second Wind.

Review from ProgArchives:
    After the misstep of ABL, our fave Ogre had to straighten things around, and the best thing around that issue was to gain control back of the songwriting. Indeed if Mullen had written the majority of ABL tracks, he only gets a partial credit in this on Second Wind, behind newcomer singer Alex Ligertwood, Brian grabbing the lion's share. And if Alex is the main change to the line-up, he also pulls in this album his best performance in his entire career, which is not that hard given his future inclinations. So with their third album, the Express manages to get back on track and pull of an album that comes very close to the debut's quality, and sadly it misses a train artwork on the sleeve, rather than Brian's mugshot. Had the comic-like drawn back cover done the front face, it might have drawn equal ratings.

Starting wildly on a Ligertwood composition Truth (which in truth sounds lifted from Jeff Beck), the album announces the wild pace from minute 1, where the singer gives us a feel of Stevie Winwood vocals, with Mullen pulling an average solo and Brian shinning on piano.. Don't Look Away is a group effort where the descending riff provides plenty of space for some of Brian's best piano moments on the present album, while Mullen's guitar underlines Ligertwood's verses. With the inaptly titled Somebody Help Us, the album gets to the album's highlight, with Brian's huge hammering of his Hammond . When the Oblivion Express soars like this, they don't need anyone's help and frankly not many could help them effectively, except somebody forcing Ligertwood's to lower down his tone a bit.

The flipside starts on a cover Freedom Jazz Dance with its infectious hard-driving groove defined by the rhythm section, Brian shinning like the sun, and even Mullen finally pulling some attention to his playing and Alex is fittingly on spot. The Trinity days Just Me is a fine rework, this version being much livelier with Brian's brilliant piano piece in the middle. Closing up on the title track, the album hits a bit of a low (Ligertwood again), but Brian's usual dazzling Hammond manages to save the track from sinking.

Even if Litgerwood's best ever performance is on this album, he's still one of the main reason why this album doesn't reach the height of following Closer To It and the debut album, but Second Wind is definitely on the podium of Auger's discography, narrowing-ly beating some Trinity album. Definitely worth seeking out if you liked the two up on my top three Ogre albums, it won't disappoint you, as even Alex can't ruin the Express when it's on a roll. (Sean Trane)

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I prefer Trinity, but this is a nice LP, good playing, and Ligertwood.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I prefer this version of Freedom Jazz Dance, without vocals.

Although my favorite (by a country mile) is 'Straight Ahead', which I adore through and through, this is a good one. A good period for him.

Better land is awesome. If Brian sang on Second wind it would have been pretty cool. Are there versions of these songs with Brian on vocals apart from the Trinity track? I like Alex singing on Reinforcements and Happiness heartaches a lot more. Cool band though. Auger from 69-77 is one of the best periods ever. Great tracks on every album including the last trinity album. Better Land is my fave and the debut, Happiness heartaches, Closer to it are next in line along with Befour(trinity). Beginning again is my fave song though. Second Wind is probably the last ranked from Augers 8 albums from 69-77 imo but it could have been high up with Brian singing instead.
    Last edited by PROGMONSTER; 05-21-2016 at 09:16 PM.

Second Wind is the only studio album I own. I've always dug their rendition of the Eddie Harris classic, and the title track. The only other Auger album I have is the double set, Live Oblivion.

Fave 20 oblivion songs in no order:

In the light
    The sword
    Dragon song
    On thinking it over
    Tomorrows city
    Woman of the seasons
    A better land
    Somebody help us
    Whenever you're ready
    Happiness is just around the bend
    Voices of other times
    Beginning again
    Bumpin on sunset
    Thought from afar
    The big yin
    Future pilot
    Back street bible class
    Gimme a funky break
    Spice island
    Paging mr mcCoy

That's more strong tracks than most other prog related bands from that 70-77 period. They're in my top 10 bands
    Last edited by PROGMONSTER; 05-22-2016 at 06:51 PM.

The only album I have of his is Search Party from 1981, when he was living here in the Bay Area. It was a fusion band, with two drummers,
    Steve Evans on bass and Ho Young Kim (Mighty Ho Young). I saw them many times live. I've always intended to pick up some of his other albums, but never got around to it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Search-Party-B...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

As I said in the review, I rank this one with Closer To It and the OE debut

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Second Wind is the only studio album I own. I've always dug their rendition of the Eddie Harris classic, and the title track. The only other Auger album I have is the double set, Live Oblivion.
    Mmmhhh!!!... Those two live albums are really not a good live testimony of these guys, IMHO... And I'm not big on Straight Ahead either, TBH.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

How would people here compare this lp - or, indeed, any of the other first four releases by OE - with the earlier Trinity albums? - in particular, I'm thinking of taking the plunge with Streetnoise (having listened to a few camples)...

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    How would people here compare this lp - or, indeed, any of the other first four releases by OE - with the earlier Trinity albums? - in particular, I'm thinking of taking the plunge with Streetnoise (having listened to a few camples)...
    I'm a fan of Streetnoise and Befour also.....both have a different feel than the later things but still in the same ballpark. Streetnoise has multiple styles going on with jazz, pop rock, r and b, and some early fusion/prog even. I recently found a nice clean copy on original vinyl. Befour is more proggy/jazzy to my ears but they are similar at times.

What was the ethos that produced A Better Land? I have to agree with the original reviewer at the top of the page and say it really is a bizarre anomaly It reminded me rather of Atomic Rooster's In Hearing Of, in that it seems to be the sound of a band emasculating themselves....thanks God they they jumped back over the shark.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    What was the ethos that produced A Better Land? I have to agree with the original reviewer at the top of the page and say it really is a bizarre anomaly It reminded me rather of Atomic Rooster's In Hearing Of, in that it seems to be the sound of a band emasculating themselves....thanks God they they jumped back over the shark.
    It's their best imo. Title track, thinking, tomorrow and woman are awesome

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    It's their best imo. Title track, thinking, tomorrow and woman are awesome
    Ah well, each to his own. I thought it was bloody awful.

Ah well, each to his own. I thought it was bloody awful.
    Keep listening lol. The quality will take over 😃. I also love In hearing of

I also like A Better Land....but it is more laid back and mellow with a hint of that 'hippie vibe'.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    in particular, I'm thinking of taking the plunge with Streetnoise (having listened to a few camples)...
    Streetnoise to me is much more a Julie Driscoll album than a Brian Auger one. Good as he is, she really overshadows him.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Keep listening lol. The quality will take over ��. I also love In hearing of
    Thankfully, like me, Auger thought better of it, as amply demonstrated by his subsequent recordings.

Shoot, another band that I missed the first time around. Always heard the name back then, but was unfamiliar with his music. After hearing Freedom Jazz Dance with those horns, DAMN... that was exactly the type of groove music with horns that would have fit perfectly into the setlist of any of my high school/college bands. How did we not know about this band?!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Thankfully, like me, Auger thought better of it, as amply demonstrated by his subsequent recordings.
    Yeah second wind was a real step down with only 1 strong track compared to 4 on the previous album

hit F pay respects

I don't know what 'hit F pay respects' means, but... recently I listened to 'A Better Land' and was surprised how much I loved 'Tomorrow City'. Didn't like the whole album, but there are a few good ones in there.

For the record- At age 16 I saw Brian Auger and The Oblivion Express at Cole Field House Maryland University Fall 1975 opening for The Faces- they were excellent although the drunken rowdy Faces crowd largely ignored them.....