Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hackett reflects on his departure from Genesis!

Hackett reflects on his departure from Genesis!

This is a quote from a disgruntled fan from a magazine that recently hit the news stand. I thought I'd quote it here as I completely agree with his point!!!

Never understood why Hackett is often portrayed as irrelevant to Genesis? His guitar playing is as unique as Gabriel putting on a costume, his canon of work as held true to the genre, he has worked hard playing small theatre's & meeting fans. Gabriel did nothing for years & when he did it was as dull as dishwater. In recent Phil Collins interviews he stated that if Genesis reformed it would be just the three of them as Peter isn't interested. Why do they appear to always turn their back on Hackett? They could quite easily do a tour similar to Circa '77/8 & it would be extremely successful. Out of all the members of Genesis he is the only one that seems proud of the 1970's material apart from the odd outing of something from the Lamb [my least favourite early Genesis album]

Guitarist Steve Hackett admits seeing Genesis achieve mainstream success after he left the band was a “difficult period”

The guitarist was with the band for seven years, eventually leaving just days before they released their Seconds Out live album.

He’s gone on to enjoy a successful solo career and has also toured extensively playing the music of his former band. But when asked if he was surprised when Genesis achieved mainstream success in the years following his departure, Hackett says it caused him to take stock.

He tells EonMusic: “That was a difficult period for me. I had my own band, I was touring, and I eventually got a hit single myself – but it seemed as if Genesis was a well-oiled machine by then that was garnering a tremendous amount of publicity.

“I had to remind myself of the reason why I left, and it was to explore new paths and to boldly go on my own. For me, it’s always been about the music – it can’t be about the numbers, it can’t be a number crunching exercise.”

He insists he wouldn’t have added anything to 1986 Genesis album Invisible Touch, but says of 1981’s Abacab: “I probably would have played some slide guitar on it or something. I remember Mike Rutherford saying when Peter Gabriel had a hit with Solsbury Hill, ‘I would have liked to have played twelve-string.'”

This statement sums it up to me about Hackett's presence in Genesis' music:

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Steve Hackett gives a nice tribute & says on a personal level he did a lot of good for Genesis when they needed help!
    Totally how it always sounded to me.
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 05-20-2016 at 01:37 PM.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Phuuk later-day Genesis and their revisionist-of-band-history propaganda...

Hackett has CLEARLY proven that his creativity and commitment to his craft is beyond reproach. I've seen Hackett 3x since his departure. Each concert was superb and Mr. Hackett is a complete class act.

So, I remember watching some video from the night Genesis got their award for the RnR HoF.... It was a video where the 4 lads were posing for photos and A Banks said some hurtful remarks in public to Steve. I also found that very odd that after all this time, Tony still felt the need to do this to Steve.

I mentioned this to a few fellow UK genesis fans and they told me that he was only British humor. I admit I don't understand the humor in doing something like that but to me it was obvious that the lads didn't want Steve around.

Perhaps I read too much into it but it was an awkward moment for me to see this and I was disappointed.

Just me 2 cents,
    Jim

I often felt that for whatever reason, Banks was Jealous of the other 4 solo career success. Dude needs laid!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jkleban View Post
    So, I remember watching some video from the night Genesis got their award for the RnR HoF.... It was a video where the 4 lads were posing for photos and A Banks said some hurtful remarks in public to Steve. I also found that very odd that after all this time, Tony still felt the need to do this to Steve.

I mentioned this to a few fellow UK genesis fans and they told me that he was only British humor. I admit I don't understand the humor in doing something like that but to me it was obvious that the lads didn't want Steve around.

Perhaps I read too much into it but it was an awkward moment for me to see this and I was disappointed.

Just me 2 cents,
    Jim
    I watched the RnR HoF induction video too, but I don't recall Banks saying anything "hurtful" to Steve.

The fact is that Phil, Tony, and Mike became very close friends and have remained so. For whatever reasons, that didn't happen with Steve. I don't believe that either party harbors any sort of ill will toward the other.

Hackett was the first member of Genesis to record a solo album. He has been the most prolific and has the most musical integrity. Hackett also kept his dignity while the remaining 3 made millions jerking around for the We Cant Dance video. At the same time of course if he had never joined Genesis we would likely have never heard of him and he wouldn't have had the opportunity to do what he did with his solo career.

It's definitely not in Steve's nature to harbour any 'resentment' towards anyone as far as I know. I have never heard or read anywhere where he has said a bad word against anyone! However I just wondered if this recent tribute to Keith Emerson may be interpreted as a little dig at Banks but maybe it's just me?

"I loved Keith's style. He was extremely influential on a generation of keyboard players. He had stunning technique, plus the chops and showmanship to put keyboards centrestage.
    He proved you didn't have to sit there & play quietly in a corner. He had panache & was very entertaining, whether you where listening to him, or watching Keith throw down the gauntlet to others. Visually he has never been topped.
    On a personal level, he did a lot of good for Genesis when we needed help. He gave our Nursery Cryme album a nice review [for the press ads]. That made a big difference to us".

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Hackett was the first member of Genesis to record a solo album. He has been the most prolific and has the most musical integrity. Hackett also kept his dignity while the remaining 3 made millions jerking around for the We Cant Dance video.

"Musical integrity" is such a subjective term. Here it seems to be mostly applied to describe music we like, to make it sound somehow more valuable than music that we don't like.

Did Steve Hackett make any music videos in the 80s or 90s? No one escaped that time period without some (in hindsight, potentially) embarrassing music videos. In particular I'm thinking of Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" and "Big Time" videos, which were cheesy but fun (same as I Can't Dance).

If you want to put Steve up on a pedestal and slag the other three guys for "jerking around", who am I to stand in your way? It doesn't rewrite history or change the fact that a majority of people liked the 3-man era and still do.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

"Musical integrity" is such a subjective term. Here it seems to be mostly applied to describe music we like, to make it sound somehow more valuable than music that we don't like.

Did Steve Hackett make any music videos in the 80s or 90s? No one escaped that time period without some (in hindsight, potentially) embarrassing music videos. In particular I'm thinking of Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" and "Big Time" videos, which were cheesy but fun (same as I Can't Dance).

If you want to put Steve up on a pedestal and slag the other three guys for "jerking around", who am I to stand in your way? It doesn't rewrite history or change the fact that a majority of people liked the 3-man era and still do.
    Don't think Steve made any promo vids for his solo 'singles' but we do have the promo's for GTR's WTHRTM & The Hunter!

“I had to remind myself of the reason why I left, and it was to explore new paths and to boldly go on my own. For me, it’s always been about the music – it can’t be about the numbers, it can’t be a number crunching exercise.”

This ^^^.

The only music videos I know of would be with GTR.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post

This ^^^.

^^^Agreed, which is also what Steve983 was alluding to!

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post

This ^^^.

Of course it couldn't be otherwise, his solo music would never fit the market trends back then, tell me how many would be interested in hearing 'The Virgin And The Gypsy' on MTV?
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

It's definitely not in Steve's nature to harbour any 'resentment' towards anyone as far as I know. I have never heard or read anywhere where he has said a bad word against anyone! However I just wondered if this recent tribute to Keith Emerson may be interpreted as a little dig at Banks but maybe it's just me?

[/I]
    It's the second time you've posted this today. I think it might be time to do something about this Genesis fixation!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    Of course it couldn't be otherwise, his solo music would never fit the market trends back then, tell me how many would be interested in hearing 'The Virgin And The Gypsy' on MTV?
    I always thought that both "Every Day" & " How Can I?" may have made inroads into the more commercial arena had a promo vid been made & aired on MTV?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It's the second time you've posted this today. I think it might be time to do something about this Genesis fixation!
    Yeah but now I've posted the full quote & it needs talking about lol! Any fixation or love for Genesis coming from me is in the context of the Steve Hackett years and his contributions!Let's be honest here, they sold out when he left & as he says - "Music's more than just number crunching". The guys got both style & integrity!
    Last edited by Rufus; 05-20-2016 at 02:44 PM.

I wonder if MTV ever played this.

I always thought that both "Every Day" & " How Can I?" may have made inroads into the more commercial arena had a promo vid been made & aired on MTV?
    There is a video for How Can I.

If you want to see something a cringe worthy as the other 3 did watch the video for Cell 151

Quote Originally Posted by whatwherewhywhen View Post

If you want to see something a cringe worthy as the other 3 did watch the video for Cell 151
    OK thanks, I'll do a Youtube search!

You know, I always hated the 3 man Genesis, and was actually credulous when a friend told me they used to be good back when Phil just played drums and Hackett played guitar. I couldn't believe that such a commercial and "cheesy" band was ever good. So I bought Genesis live and was totally blown away.

As I've gotten older, and heard and read more about ALL the band members, I really don't hate the 3 man version anymore. I don't like most of their music, but does that make it bad, or a sell out? Something that prog fans (and a lot of other music fans, for that matter) seem to believe is that wanting to actually be successful and extremely popular is somehow a bad thing. But what musician doesn't want that? You can't tell me Hackett didn't want to make millions playing music. I sure wanted that when I was starting out. So I really can't hold it against the members of Genesis, and I take them at their word when they say that there was never some grand plan to become rich and famous and that they didn't simplify their sound to "sell out". It was just the way they were all heading musically and it worked very well for them. We don't have to like it, but it is what it is.

As to Hackett being ignored, it's my understanding that he is still involved in the business aspects of the band (as is Gabriel) when it concerns the material he played on and that they all still get along. I think it's true that Hackett isn't as close as the other 4 are (remember, Gabriel, Banks, and Rutherford have known each other and been friends since they were kids).

Personally, I like Hackett's work more than anything the others have done since Hackett left (with the exception of Gabriel's first 4 albums which I think are brilliant and filled with as much integrity as anything Hackett ever did). But do you really think Hackett participated in GTR for purely musical reasons? I don't think even he would say that. It was a way to appeal to the sound of the 80's and make some money. I don't fault any artist or musician for doing something they don't necessarily love to make money to fund projects they do love. That became reality for a lot of musicians in the 80's and it's even more a factor now.

All that said, I love Hackett and think very highly of him and his work. I think he deserves more credit for how great that early band was, for sure.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I like some of the first few albums Genesis did after his departure but Steve's contribution to the band was essential to their classic material. I love plenty of Steve's varied solo output and agree he has a great deal of integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    I often felt that for whatever reason, Banks was Jealous of the other 4 solo career success. Dude needs laid!!!!
    Oh, ya think?! Every damn documentary I've ever seen on the band, Tony makes sure he takes a few seconds to gripe about his solo albums not being as successful as Peter, Phil or Mike's. There's one where he specifically says he feels the fans are "missing out" or something like that.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard his solo material. I know there was one interview where he said that he thought people who liked Firth Of Fifth or "the latter parts of Supper's Ready" would like his solo records. True, or did Tony (in the words of Elwood Blues) take up the liberty of bullshitting us.

Quote Originally Posted by whatwherewhywhen View Post

I've seen the Cell 151 video exactly when once, when the two Steves did a "Guest VJ" thing on MTV to promote the GTR project. As I recall, neither song nor video were particularly good, but you're talking about trying to remember something from 30 years ago (which, for once, I didn't preserve on Betamax).

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Oh, ya think?! Every damn documentary I've ever seen on the band, Tony makes sure he takes a few seconds to gripe about his solo albums not being as successful as Peter, Phil or Mike's. There's one where he specifically says he feels the fans are "missing out" or something like that.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard his solo material. I know there was one interview where he said that he thought people who liked Firth Of Fifth or "the latter parts of Supper's Ready" would like his solo records. True, or did Tony (in the words of Elwood Blues) take up the liberty of bullshitting us.
    Tony is a musical genius, and was a huge part of the "Genesis sound". His composing skills are instantly recognizable (even when listening to his two classical albums); he has an idiosyncratic approach to constructing melodies and chord progressions, part of what gave Genesis their characteristic style. Speaking as a Genesis fan, I enjoy quite a lot of his solo material.

As their manager Tony Smith put it in an interview, for Tony Banks, Genesis in a way was his solo career. I tend to agree.

Why is Tony Banks bitching about not having a more successful solo career? He rammed his work through the band so was there really anything good left over for his solo albums? What did he expect? Genesis was more or less "his" successful solo career... so to speak. Tony - shut up and go count your money. Have a beer.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015