Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hackett reflects on his departure from Genesis!

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Why is Tony Banks bitching about not having a more successful solo career? He rammed his work through the band so was there really anything good left over for his solo albums? What did he expect? Genesis was more or less "his" successful solo career... so to speak. Tony - shut up and go count your money. Have a beer.
    Link please?

Much of Genesis' music (especially later on) came from them jamming together. Tony did not "ram his work through the band".
    Last edited by aith01; 05-20-2016 at 08:39 PM.

ATH:

The video that I am referencing was not part of the HOF televised show. This was a after the fact, news conference type of thing where the 4 lads were on a podium together. Answering press questions and posing for photos.

So, if I gave the impression that Anthony did this at the televised award ceremony, I apologize.

Jim

This Steve snubbing was evident back in the MILTON KEYNES reunion where I am sure you have all heard that story. Steve has always been the most accessible and fan friendly member of GENESIS. Which is not to say, the other lads aren't just that Steve definitely goes out os his way for the fans.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I watched the RnR HoF induction video too, but I don't recall Banks saying anything "hurtful" to Steve.

The fact is that Phil, Tony, and Mike became very close friends and have remained so. For whatever reasons, that didn't happen with Steve. I don't believe that either party harbors any sort of ill will toward the other.
    Hackett wasn't an original member of the band and was with the band for about six and a half years. Phil Collins wasn't an original member either but he stayed with the band way after Hackett left. I can see how the core three would have their little clique and are close. Steve should not feel resentful or left out and to be honest I don't really get that sense from reading the above comments.

He's said this tune was about his departure from Genesis.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Tony is a genius and my fav all round keyboard player---and writes beautiful melodies. But his need to marginalize Steve's contribution to Genesis is ridiculous --- Steve and his work with Genesis is pure magic---and those early albums would not be what they are without him.This is painfully obvious to everyone but Tony--although he has thrown some compliments in Steve's direction recently.

Banks's best work is limited to what he did with Genesis & he couldn't write or play a decent tune as a soloist if his life depended on it! He comes across as a 'frustrated' artist when he talks about his solo career not taking off & maybe that's where a bit of the resentment comes from! I don't even think he has ever done a solo tour or even a show so the proof is in the pudding! His solo albums are very weak! People have no interest in his work outside of Genesis but they of the other members. History has proven that without Hackett, Gabriel, Rutherford et al he's extremely limited as a composer!
    Last edited by Rufus; 05-21-2016 at 03:27 AM.

I think it's sad that Hacket is still going on about a job he lost 40 years ago.

But not as sad as posters here who have developed their own Good Guys and Bad Guys narrative around events they have absolutely no first-hand knowledge of whatsoever.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Steve took his shots at being more commercial, but it didn't catch on. Tony took his shots at being more commercial, but that didn't catch on either. I don't think pop music is a natural way to write for them although TB has had a couple of songs that I thought if he toured and supported like Rutherford, Collins or Gabriel, he could have made a go of it. But being front and center is not his style and a couple of cringeworthy videos didn't help his cause either. It's also much easier for a singer to make the leap especially if they are going after a different type of audience. MR can't sing at all so he got 2 stellar singers, made good videos at a time when it was very important and followed it up on the road.

Banks reminds me a bit of Richard Wright in that they wanted a solo career, but did so little in promotion and didn't tour that they did not even get much support from their main bands fans.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    I often felt that for whatever reason, Banks was Jealous of the other 4 solo career success. Dude needs laid!!!!
    Banks is the only one that hasn't had any kind of commercial success out of the Genesis fold

Even Hackett did: GTR and that TV show theme apparently sold in big quantities
    And recently I heard/read that Ant Philipps' Sides album sold a fair bit as well
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    But not as sad as posters here who have developed their own Good Guys and Bad Guys narrative around events they have absolutely no first-hand knowledge of whatsoever.
    BINGO! This has been going on for many years now, and it's almost always baseless. People hear what they want to hear when it comes to interviews.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Steve took his shots at being more commercial, but it didn't catch on.
    As already of public acknowledgement, making pop music never was his cup of tea.

It's also much easier for a singer to make the leap especially if they are going after a different type of audience.
    While I can just partially agree with you, Hackett's singing skills and style were not bad at all, regardless whether liking or not liking his vocals. I'll give you just one example: one can perfectly realize what I mean by listening Serpentine Song.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

There is some awkwardness between Steve and the other Genesis guys (except for Gabriel who doesn't give a shit).

Steve was the last guy hired into a band the other's established and built and sacrificed for. Steve walked into a good situation (well functioning band with record company support and touring experience). As the junior member, they wanted him to be subservient, but he wanted more and more to have a bigger role. They gave him a few crumbs, but pretty much told him his writing contributions were not up to snuff. So he goes out and does a solo album and proves them wrong. Voyage was a success and became a prog classic and is well liked by Genesis fans. That has to breed jealousy and envy - especially for Banks (Mr Genesis) whose solo albums are not as highly regarded as Hackett's.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    . So he goes out and does a solo album and proves them wrong. Voyage was a success and became a prog classic and is well liked by Genesis fans.
    Not sure this was the case by 77, though...

And why would Phil and Ruther be jealous when they contributed
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Not sure this was the case by 77, though...

And why would Phil and Ruther be jealous when they contributed
    They didn't want to say no.

They were both pricks about it.

Collins wouldn't stick around for additional takes.

Rutherford in his book last year called it " a decent album" and complained that Steve never paid him and Phil for the session work.

They didn't want to say no.

They were both pricks about it.

Collins wouldn't stick around for additional takes.

Rutherford in his book last year called it " a decent album" and complained that Steve never paid him and Phil for the session work.
    is this more than extrapolations or suppositions??

Personally, I'm not that impressed with Voyage... It's highly over-rated, but it's still the second best Genesis alumni solo album (not counting AP's albums)... Well behind Spectral Mornings

So he goes out and does a solo album and proves them wrong. Voyage was a success and became a prog classic and is well liked by Genesis fans.
    I would not be so sure about it, no doubt it's a prog classic but this fact alone imo wouldn't give it enough credentials to be liked by the majority of the Genesis fans had it not been made by an ex-member. VOTA already featured some of Hackett's unique character stamped on it, let alone the fact that its music wouldn't fit Gabriel singing style, by any stretch of imagination!, not to say Phil's 'easy lover' style - even though he indeed sang there on a couple of tracks.
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 05-21-2016 at 09:59 PM.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

MR can't sing at all.
    Actually, he can sing, he just doesn't have a "radio friendly" voice. He certainly sings back up vocals on the Genesis records. But he said that a great pop songs deserves a great voice to sing it and he admitted he didn't have such a voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Even Hackett did: GTR and that TV show theme apparently sold in big quantities
    Wait, what TV show theme?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Wait, what TV show theme?
    British show, Second Chance IIRC
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

"Second Chance" is a beautiful little guitar and flute piece which I loved from the moment I first heard Bay Of Kings as a teenager. Was pleased to see Steve play it the first time I ever saw him, with the 'acoustic trio'... I had no idea it "sold in big quantities" however..?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^It didn't. Not aware of a 'TV show theme' that did, although certainly, in the late 70s/early 80s, his Charisma solo albums had a devoted following in the UK and Europe. Another was 'Tales From The Riverbank'. Anthony Phillips has had the more lucrative career when it comes to TV work.
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-26-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Banks's best work is limited to what he did with Genesis & he couldn't write or play a decent tune as a soloist if his life depended on it!
    Hmmm.. A Curious Feeling anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Hmmm.. A Curious Feeling anyone?
    Exactly.

Or even take An Island In The Darkness, or his recent orchestral pieces. It's obvious he can write.