Thread: Dylan's Blonde on Blonde is now fifty years old

Dylan's Blonde on Blonde is now fifty years old

For my money, still the best Dylan album. He was really on a roll in those days.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...piece-20160516
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I think it's impossible to say what his 'best' album is, but Blonde on Blonde is certainly one of the greats

I'll own up right away, I've never heard it. I have everything up to and including Bringing it All Back Home. I've heard no album later than that.

I have it. It's good but I like everything that came before much more.

Listened to it this morning without knowing about the anniversary. It's not his best, but it definitely has some of my favorite Dylan tunes on it.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Listened to it this morning without knowing about the anniversary.
    It's disputed when the album was really released. May 16 is apparently the official date, but the evidence suggests it wasn't actually in shops until a month or two later. The significance of this is that it puts BOB neck-and-neck with Freak Out in the "First Rock Album with a Side-Long Track" stakes.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I prefer Dylan once he went electric - the stuff that came before seems a little stilted to me. Some great songs in there but he got a lot more adventurous in terms of the music when he abandoned the folk ghetto.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Blood on the Tracks will always be my favorite.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Probably the 2nd best Dylan album imo after Hwy 61 Revisited.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I prefer Dylan once he went electric - the stuff that came before seems a little stilted to me. Some great songs in there but he got a lot more adventurous in terms of the music when he abandoned the folk ghetto.
    I was reading background stuff about his conversion to electric; the Newbury folk festival and the Manchester Free Trade Hall; and all the furore he created. Looking back on it, it seems quite unbelievable that people could be so outraged.

Impossible to do justice to this masterpiece. "Visions of Johanna" is the greatest song I have ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Impossible to do justice to this masterpiece. "Visions of Johanna" is the greatest song I have ever heard.
    That is one amazing piece. The Manchester '66 version kills me every time I hear it, even though it's a hard swallow for some.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I was reading background stuff about his conversion to electric; the Newbury folk festival and the Manchester Free Trade Hall; and all the furore he created. Looking back on it, it seems quite unbelievable that people could be so outraged.
    The reaction seems to have been a bit overblown. There was no chorus of boos at Newport, like has been alleged over the years. And, yes, there were some upset people at the Manchester gig, as well, but, once again, not as bad as some claim.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The reaction seems to have been a bit overblown. There was no chorus of boos at Newport, like has been alleged over the years. And, yes, there were some upset people at the Manchester gig, as well, but, once again, not as bad as some claim.
    Very true - there are plenty of approving cheers and applause at both gigs.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Very true - there are plenty of approving cheers and applause at both gigs.
    There is that infamous moment when someone in the crowd in Manchester calls Dylan "Judas." Dylan calls him a liar and kicks into "Like a Rolling Stone."

Yes, but even then you can hear lots of applause and a VERY mixed reaction to the "Judas" call - so it's not the full-on hate-fest it is sometimes made out to be.

Oh - and my favourite bit? When Bob says to the Band "Play fucking loud!" just before "Rolling Stone" starts.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There is that infamous moment when someone in the crowd in Manchester calls Dylan "Judas." Dylan calls him a liar and kicks into "Like a Rolling Stone."
    'You're a liar' was supposedly in response to someone else who shouted "I'm never listening to you again". I think Dylan was actually rendered speechless by the 'Judas' call.

The Manchester crowd also starts to do a slow clap between songs, apparently attempting to prevent the band from counting in. Bob's solution: he starts mumbling some quiet gibberish into the microphone, inflecting his voice just enough to make it sound like he is telling a story that nobody can hear because of the clapping, and then as the crowd finally quiets down he finishes "...if you only just wouldn't clap so hard". Priceless!