Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Official" Ennio Morricone Thread

R.I.P. to a brilliant composer.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Vale, Maestro.

And thanks for all the great music. Thanks for completely changing the sound of films. Thanks for being, perhaps, the greatest contributor to rock and pop music who wasn't a rock or pop musician himself, and didn't even like rock or pop music. You had as good a run as any composer ever, and were active until the end. Farewell to a life well-lived.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 07-06-2020 at 09:11 AM.

R.I.P. dear Morricone.... you'll be missed, VERY missed ... forever.....

Ennio Morricone - On Earth as it is in Heaven

"Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    And thanks for all the great music. Thanks for completely changing the sound of films. Thanks for being, perhaps, the greatest contributor to rock and pop music who wasn't a rock or pop musician himself, and didn't even like rock or pop music. You had as good a run as any composer ever, and were active until the end. Farewell to a life well-lived.
    Morricone really seemed baffled by the fact that pop musicians adored his film music. His theory was that it was because he used simple harmonies.
    So simple that even rock musicians could understand them.

In reality, there was so much more to his work than just those unforgettable melodies and sounds you hear on his greatest hits. He leaves behind recorded legacy of astounding quality and breadth.

R.I.P. maestro.

On Sonos shuffle all week
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

From the Feedback lp, by Gruppo di Improvvisazione Nuova Consonant.

This is extraordinary. And brilliant!

It is hard for me to articulate my feelings now through my tears. As a child in the 1960's my Mom sent me off to the local movie theater every Saturday. I viewed many great and iconic films in multiple genres. Then in 1967, when I was 12 to 13, Sergio Leone's "Dollars Trilogy" hit American movie screens. I viewed all three films in a short time period. These films changed my life. The pairing of visual to audio was like nothing ever experienced before. But as I matured into a teenager, popular music became a greater role for me to discover, and I kind of forgot the impact of those Leone films. In the early 1980's my friends and I became fans of the group Wall of Voodoo. And we started to see them at club gigs. They would always play a medley during those shows they called The Morricone Themes, and put out an EP of this set. I told my friends "Wow, this music is from The Good, The Bad & The Ugly." We loved the twangy western guitar sounds, and so began a quest. A quest to discover who Ennio Morricone was, as knowing that there had to be more great music from this man. In the 1980's it was not easy to obtain info as is is today. Especially with no internet. Living in the Los Angeles area did make it easier. While going to record stores I would always ask questions about Ennio. Then one day a record store clerk gave me a phone number to a man who was a part of The Ennio Morricone Film Score Society. And that call led me to music collector, the late Don Trunick. We were tipped and told that Don was the biggest collector in the world of EM's music. I, and another friend were invited to Don's home. He had a large home, and many rooms were filled with LP and 45 rpm vinyl records. Probably at least 80 % were scores by Morricone. We loved the western scores and learned that EM wrote over 30 western film scores. And Don loved to share his love of Morricone with others. He was a pilot for United Airlines, so wherever he went he bought records. He basically educated us and unfolded the musical world of EM at our feet. My friend and I became friends with Don, and visited many times, even through the mid 1990's after he moved far south from L.A.. He had many extra copies of the western scores which we had no clues about. None were ever printed in America. He was so kind and generous. He sold extra copies to us at his cost, and sometimes just gave them to us for free! He would even alert us when a Spaghetti Western with Em scoring was going to be on local TV. My friends and I loved camping in the deserts of California and Arizona. We would record EM western music compilations to cassette tape, then we'd play them at night around the campfire. Another experience of audio being perfect for the live visual. But Don also encouraged us to explore the non-western world of EM. And the great musical beauty of his "other" scores. Me and my friends that are still alive will always be eternally grateful for knowing Don Trunick. And eventually I collected all of the western scores, and more. And viewed the movies too. And to this day, I still make EM western music compilations, only on CD. I could say so much more, but I won't clog these pages much more. There have been few musical giants that have affected me musically in a deep and profound way. John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, Robert Fripp, and a few more. Ennio Morricone stands with these giants. His contribution to the movie industry is overwhelming, and will never be forgotten. The world of entertainment was deeply enriched by his heartfelt contributions. I will love him dearly, forever. RIP great maestro.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Does anyone know to find (steaming service) the movie "The Mission"?

Now that the Maestro died, articles say that many movie/music critics praised that score that lost when it was nominated for an Oscar but still is a classic...

That was a beautiful post AncientChord....thanks for sharing.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

It's always a major loss to the world when the greats pass away. RIP.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Today is an appropriate day to post this heart wrenching performance from Italian TV of Elisa Toffoli performing Ancora Qui, the song that she co-wrote with Morricone for the film Django Unchained. It is without doubt a stunning work of art. And Elisa's words are just as beautiful as Morricone's music. I cry every time I hear it, but today, OMG I'm getting dehydrated!

Still here,
    still you,
    but now I know who you are,
    who you will always be
    and when you will see me again
    you will remember

still here
    still you
    and I hope you will forgive me
    you, with the same eyes
    look like you are coming back
    to ask me about myself
    and how it feels
    here from the other side
    how does it go

the green grass, the warm air
    on my feet and on the flowers
    some wind rises up between the colors
    it looks nearly you
    even the sky change its name
    so white that cotton
    which is fast, which moves
    lost inside the blue

it’s something in you
    it’s what will come back
    as it already was

still here
    still you
    what it has being, it has being by then
    and with the same eyes
    you look like you are coming back
    to ask me about myself
    how it feels
    in this strange world
    how does it go

you will come back and I will come back
    you will remember, I will remember
    you will come back, I will come back
    you will remember, you will remember, you will remember, I will remember
    you will remember, I will remember you

Today's a new day and I'm beginning to come out of mourning. But I have another Morricone related story I want to share about the day I met Quentin Tarantino. I work at the Burbank Airport in California. This was between movies and after Inglourious Basterds. A plane arrived and I was in a crowded baggage claim area. All of a sudden Mr. Tarantino and several people accompanying him quickly walked through the crowd and went outside to the curb awaiting a limo. I followed and bravely approached him and said "Mr. Tarantino I love your films, and we both have something in common." He said "Oh, what's that?" "We both have a love for the music of Ennio Morricone." Well his whole face lit up, his eyes gleamed and a big smile crossed his face. We briefly chatted, and the limo pulled up. I asked one more question and I said "I've heard a rumor that your next film might be in the style of a Spaghetti Western." As he was getting into the limo, he turned back to me, smiled and said "Well you never know what you'll get if you wish hard enough." He waived as the limo drove off. Well today I thought about Quentin, and I assume that he, like me is mourning Ennio Morricone's death. Then I thought about his new life with his wife and child. And thought about his next and possibly last movie. All of a sudden I got a massive epiphany. Really it's way too early for any thoughts or speculation on his next film, but who else other than Quentin Tarantino could do a better job at making a film about the life of Ennio Morricone? Even if Mr. Tarantino didn't consider it, some other film director should. Morricone was such a unique artist, so to me his story would certainly be film worthy. I wish I could bump into Mr. Tarantino again to at least make the suggestion. What do others here think? Only real problem I see is who in the hell could write a film score for a movie about Morricone?

^That's amazing! The score is already finished....he made like 400 albums

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^That's amazing! The score is already finished....he made like 400 albums
    OOPS! Duh...Tarantino would just cut and paste selected tracks from EM's discography like he normally does with various artists. But what a challenge that would be for old Quentin. With that vast amount of work to pick from, even if Tarantino honed down the tracks, it would still be the longest soundtrack ever released, and ending up being a multiple CD box set! Plus the movie itself would have to be at least 4 hours long.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    OOPS! Duh...Tarantino would just cut and paste selected tracks from EM's discography like he normally does with various artists. But what a challenge that would be for old Quentin. With that vast amount of work to pick from, even if Tarantino honed down the tracks, it would still be the longest soundtrack ever released, and ending up being a multiple CD box set! Plus the movie itself would have to be at least 4 hours long.
    https://www.screendaily.com/news/mor...123482.article

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love this man so much. And the fact that he was inspired by Mahler and Stravinsky makes me love him more.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    who else other than Quentin Tarantino could do a better job at making a film about the life of Ennio Morricone?
    Its an interesting exercise to imagine Tarantino doing a documentary especially on EM - certainly his perspective would have been utterly diffrent then Giuseppe Tornatore
    Tornatore is Italian. He and EM worked together for 20 years .
    Tarantino well he is Tarantino ...

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I love this man so much. And the fact that he was inspired by Mahler and Stravinsky makes me love him more.
    But the truth is Bach's influence is for my ears more apparent

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Agreed. But a lot of Beethoven too. Several times and in several westerns, I believe for comedy effect, he threw a few bars of Fur Elise into several scores. And thanks Udi on the info about Giuseppe Tornatore's possible documentary. I had no clue that this was in the works. I noticed the post was from 2017. Hopefully how that the maestro has passed, Tornatore will be inspired to finish this doc. That would be great. But I'm still confident that a major film about EM's life could be a reality. Such a special and unique force in music is worthy of it. In fairly recent years major films about Ray Charles and Johnny Cash were well made and very successful, just to name a few. Someone, if not Tarantino, should consider it for a future film IMO.

I think there was quite clear Stravinsky influence on The Hateful Eight (dir. Quentin Tarantino, 2016) score.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Although there's a problem with making a movie: How eventful was Morricone's life? His dad taught him to play the trumpet, he went to music school, he slowly worked his way up the ranks of the professional music business, he did some arranging on pop albums, he got a job writing a film score and liked doing that and the director liked the results, he worked hard and wrote more of them, and more of them, and more of them, and he did that for sixty years. Along the way, he got married and raised a family. It's a good life, but a good life often doesn't make for a dramatic story.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    He once said that he listens to Bach every day. And the kind of rigorous, old-school training in composition he received at the Academy of Saint Cecelia would have probably involved years of drill in minutely analyzing Bach's works, and at writing in the style of Bach. The aim being to completely internalize within him the rules of correct counterpoint, melodic construction, and harmonic development, until all his initial inspirations came to follow those rules without even thinking about it.

Last edited by Udi Koomran; 07-09-2020 at 07:24 AM.