Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738 LastLast

Thread: The "Official" Ennio Morricone Thread

The "Official" Ennio Morricone Thread

Last edited by Udi Koomran; 03-27-2021 at 01:00 AM.

Death Rides a Horse is another phenomenal score. EM really manages to convey the desert/Mexico/southwest perfectly, of course in his signature idiosyncratic manner. The bizarre dissonant strumming on acoustic right out of the gate grabs you and bites. Bits of dissonance and eeriness scattered throughout.

Made an EM playlist @ Spotify with many of his 70's fantastic soundtracks:
    enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    EM really manages to convey the desert/Mexico/southwest perfectly.
    Well as you know, almost all of the Italian Westerns take place in the desert. Sometimes the beauty of EM's combination of acoustic and electric guitars plus orchestration is overwhelming, Many times it has brought me to tears. My top picks would be TGTB and TU, Two Mules For Sister Sara, Tepepa and IMO one of his best western scores Guns For San Sebastian.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    My top picks would be TGTB and TU, Two Mules For Sister Sara, Tepepa and IMO one of his best western scores Guns For San Sebastian.
    I know Guns for San Sebastian is highly regarded by EM fanatics

One of my top westerns is Navajo Joe
    But More then half of the 32 westerns he scored are fantastic

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I picked up the "Morricone Duel" BluRay with the Danish National Symphony Orchestra, having seen pieces from it enough times on Youtube that I figured it was only right to pay for it.

I thought that the fans of the westerns would enjoy these photos from Ennio's Creek taken just before the 2014 opening of Cinecitta World. This is an amusement park in Rome and like Universal Studios in America. The entire western set at the park is dedicated to the maestro, hence the name Ennio Creek. The mock gunfight entertainment is played with parts of his western scores. Something just tells me that in Ennio's heart of hearts and in his mind, he finally accepted the fact that he invented the unique scoring for westerns, and how his western scores changed the western movie soundtrack forever. I believe this, as he was also highly honored for the equally fantastic movie scores for other film genres. And I know he relished at his audience acknowledging that in his later years.

567341_default_1v2C0D_Y7BBTK.jpgitalian-composer-and-oscar-winning-ennio-morricone-visits-cinecitta-world-the-new-italian-movie-.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AncientChord; 03-29-2021 at 06:24 PM.

I think Clint Eastwood has taken a cue from Quentin Tarantino. I just watched the trailer to his new modern western Cry Macho and immediately recognized music from Ennio Morricone's score to The Mission. Seems that most of this films music is scored by another composer, but it's so nice to hear EM's music in a CE film once again, the last being 1970's Two Mules For Sister Sara. The old story goes that Eastwood asked Morricone to score his films, but the maestro turned him down saying he wanted to stay loyal to Sergio Leone. That seems odd since EM scored so many other films for other directors. There must be more of a reason than known. Anyway the trailer looks like this will be another good Eastwood film. And it's amazing that Blondie is still going strong at 91!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyH6yIFtz1E

Crazy ^

I really enjoyed the last EM binge I did this past winter. His music is so great just to dive into and get lost. Unbelievable genius.

Lots of times they re-use music from other, older movies for trailers, and when the actual movie comes out it has a completely different score/soundtrack.

All I can find for this movie is:
    Source: Cry Macho Movie
    Genre: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Music by Mark Mancina

The old story goes that Eastwood asked Morricone to score his films, but the maestro turned him down saying he wanted to stay loyal to Sergio Leone. That seems odd since EM scored so many other films for other directors. There must be more of a reason than known. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyH6yIFtz1E
    That was regarding Unforgiven and EM wrote in his book he regretted doing so...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Lots of times they re-use music from other, older movies for trailers, and when the actual movie comes out it has a completely different score/soundtrack.

All I can find for this movie is:
    Source: Cry Macho Movie
    Genre: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Music by Mark Mancina
    ??????????

https://www.screenrealm.com/cry-mach...lint-eastwood/

Was my reply unclear somehow?

Was my reply unclear somehow?
    Oh no it wasn't. My question is will EM's music actually be in the film, or just the trailer?

Can't find anything that indicates EM doing anything film-related after Hateful Eight.

The Correspondence is credited as his final soundtrack. The film was released in January 2016, so he would have composed the music in 2015. It's also a very good soundtrack album, with an interesting mixture of orchestral and ambient textures, plus what I would call David Gilmour-like guitar playing.

Well Dave you were correct. NO Morricone music in the film. I watched Cry Macho last night and it's awful! Poor acting, a non-original script and poor old Clint who still thinks he's 35. It's laughable only for the wrong reasons sadly. IMO it's no more than a B movie and only for Eastwood fanatics.

IMO it's no more than a B movie
    Not that I'm interested in it, but I personally love so-called B movies. 'A' movies, or whatever you want to call them, can often be overblown wastes of time and money, IMO. A movie's only responsibility is to entertain me. I don't care if it's considered an A, B, C or Z movie, lol.

Neil

This is recommended to the maestro’s fans
    Egisto Macchi Voix
    “There are echoes here of Macchi’s friend and famous collaborator (in the avant composer’s collective ‘Il Gruppo Di Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza’) Ennio Morricone, yet Egisto Macchi existed in a musical universe truly all his own, and the time for a reappraisal of this undiscovered cosmology has surely come.”

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OL...iZvNC98bVGo97g

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    This is recommended to the maestro’s fans
    Egisto Macchi Voix
    “There are echoes here of Macchi’s friend and famous collaborator (in the avant composer’s collective ‘Il Gruppo Di Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza’) Ennio Morricone, yet Egisto Macchi existed in a musical universe truly all his own, and the time for a reappraisal of this undiscovered cosmology has surely come.”

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OL...iZvNC98bVGo97g
    Thanks Udi! This is some great music, and EM'S influence is all over it. I think that as time marches forward there will be many more artists emerging that will bear the mark of the great maestro. In the world of music EM will NEVER be forgotten.

got to see "Ennio"
    The documentary
    Pretty meh if you ask me

Ennio-The Maestro is a great film IMO. Over two hours long, all Italian audio with English sub-titles. Covers his entire life. Interviews with many people he worked with over the years, some that are still with us, but many others that are gone, including the Maestro himself who gives you many insights into the realm of his genius. It also has some cool old video from Italian TV and more. It is certainly a loving tribute to the master musician. If you, like me, who will always love EM, then it's well worth watching.

Ennio-The Maestro is a great film IMO. Over two hours long, all Italian audio with English sub-titles. Covers his entire life. Interviews with many people he worked with over the years, some that are still with us, but many others that are gone, including the Maestro himself who gives you many insights into the realm of his genius. It also has some cool old video from Italian TV and more. It is certainly a loving tribute to the master musician. If you, like me, who will always love EM, then it's well worth watching.
    I found nothing to enlight me
    Many tend to drop Ennio Morricone’s name as a reference or an influence but few actually get to the depths of understanding how vast and extremely rich his body of work is

Springsteen , Metalica desrcribing The Maestro's greatness makes me cringe

further pound this spike into the e American perspective of Morricone — a bullshit academy awards lifetime achievement award, while Quincy Jones and Steven Spielberg stand to applaud for the cameras, a confused audience stared and smiled, pretending to be relevant in his presence...

Not a word about Bruno Nicolai
    Hardly anything about Alessandroni
    Not even one Gialo sample or word
    The director is a dear soul but lacks the ability to do EM jestice

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I found nothing to enlight me
    Many tend to drop Ennio Morricone’s name as a reference or an influence but few actually get to the depths of understanding how vast and extremely rich his body of work is

Springsteen , Metalica desrcribing The Maestro's greatness makes me cringe

further pound this spike into the e American perspective of Morricone — a bullshit academy awards lifetime achievement award, while Quincy Jones and Steven Spielberg stand to applaud for the cameras, a confused audience stared and smiled, pretending to be relevant in his presence...

Not a word about Bruno Nicolai
    Hardly anything about Alessandroni
    Not even one Gialo sample or word
    The director is a dear soul but lacks the ability to do EM jestice
    I still have to see this, but NO word about any Gialli? What have you done to Solange? is probably the best he did in that field! And ignoring Nicolai is a sin in my book.
    Is Dario Argento even in this?? The Stendhal theme is a work of art. It's a musical palindrome and very creepy as well..
    I don't know if this is worth watching then... I'd rather watch the movies.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."