Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Official" Ennio Morricone Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    It sounds so vital and the (melodic ) "lines" seem to be so clearly countoured
    And this presence is the holy grail in sound cause this presence makes sure that the writing and arrangemnt excite the listner to a ( gooosebumps etc.) and its rare that this happens with todays's recordings -even the maestro 's
    I mean listen to The Hateful 8 - I love it but it doesn't touch you that way - it lacks that precence
    Does this make sense
    Sometimes I get the same impressions about today's music recordings, but this gets me also wondering whether it has all to do with my tastes changes through my life span. During my teenage years I was much more kind of 'Rock oriented' guy than today, so perhaps Morricone's more harmonically progressive melodic lines wouldn't have had the same impact on me as today, given that its majority somehow lacks that characteristical rock aggressiveness. And today's every music form asks for a more well elaborated sound engineering often more focused on its rythmic harmony and its dynamic punch. It's perhaps the reason why much of today's released progressive music results to me much more like an intellectual exercise than rendering a soul or spiritual rewarding effect on me when listening to them.

And it's pretty much one of the reasons why I've been resourcing so much to Classical Music as well as to a foreign language music forum like PE's. So, I THANK YOU all for helping me on this endless trip of discovering so much more master Ennio Morricone's music, as well as from a bunch of other great artists
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 06-19-2016 at 01:05 PM.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

You guys need to checkout my Gialo Soundtrack Gallery at FB
    Its really a sight to see

https://www.facebook.com/udi.koomran...=3&pnref=story
    Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 09.24.09.jpg
    Not for the fainthearted :-)

Were''s Frankie ??
    was hoping this thing you have started will give the Cardiacs thread a run for its money

Was hoping this thing you have started will give the Cardiacs thread a run for its money.
    But think about how long the Cardiacs have been known around here. For probably close to ten years, people have been posting about this great, funny, absolutely original British prog/pop/punk band, who were so obscure in the States that their existence wasn't even rumored. And by now, it's finally gotten to the point where most of the PE crowd at least know who they are and have a little interest in them - if only enough to try a listen.

Now the issue with Morricone is different: He's generally better known, and hipster music geeks like John Zorn, Trey Spruance, their peers, and their fans have been trumpeting his greatness for decades. But, as some here have said, quite a few people see movie music as a very inferior art - hopelessly compromised by having to fit the film it accompanies, cranked out in a short-deadline rush, laden with pseudo-Mahler cliches, often borderline-plagiarized and barely a step above advertising jingles. And even hearing a few amazing Morricone themes may not change that attitude. You and I both know how wooden-headed certain prog fans can be....

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I'm back into the westerns - I tried to ignore them but it didn't work too well.
    http://www.furious.com/perfect/morricone.html

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I have bought La Proprieta non epiu un Furto after Udi's recommendation and it is a killer- so diverse in melodies and moods, sounds like a horror soundtrack but in fact its actually a soundtrack of a comedy, go figure...
    Some more info on La Proprieta non epiu un Furto :
    "If you want to know what marxism-madrakism is, don't miss this movie! A great example of smart and politicized Italian cinema of the seventies, a real cult in my opinion. The main character is a sort of modern times psychopathic robin-hood whom works as a clerk in a bank, but is allergic to money! At a certain point he is so exasperated that he decides that he must mine rich people's private property in order to give a shock to their lives. His main target is a rich butcher (Ugo Tognazzi), but he decides not to steal his money, but things that he needs more: his butcher knife, tool of his trade, his hat, his woman... In the meantime, he enters the dark world of delinquency meeting a professional thief which he manages to blackmail so that he can help him in his misdoings. Between the world of marxist idealism and pure delinquency, the whole story is fantastic and unreal, with references to Fromm's (see 005 in bottom of this page) "Life between having and being". The character would like to "have" (money and things) but in the same moment he also wants to "be" (save his personality), but he understands that it's impossible ("This is the problem!", he repeats) . The final is also fantastic, with the thief's funeral in which a great Gigi Proietti gives us a monologue on the importance of thief's in society. A must for lovers of the genre!"
    Last edited by Udi Koomran; 06-21-2016 at 09:27 AM.

Todays favourite track I Demoni Di San Pietroburgo (end titles A Mio Padre ) by Giuliano Montaldo (2008) on the youtube clip above the track starts at 8:03. during the end titles. Amazing cadenza for viola and trumpet, Has anyone heard the entire score ?
    Last edited by alucard; 06-21-2016 at 07:35 AM.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Wow, I finally got to the end of the thread (but I'm still listening to the samples). A great read. Myself I've been slowly getting into EM for the past two years. That he was involved with the film Bulsworth surprised me; my sister had the soundtrack and it was all hip-hop/R&B stuff (never seen it so i didn't know he did the score). A lot of stuff mentioned here but I don't think anyone has mentioned Crescete e Moltiplicatevi yet.

I'll second the Gruppo di Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza's The Feed-Back album. I've heard it described as the Italian Can.

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Were''s Frankie ??
    was hoping this thing you have started will give the Cardiacs thread a run for its money
    I'm here my friend - just crazy busy with that annoying thing that sometimes gets in my way called life. When school is finished next week I can start to devote more time to listening, discussing, playing, composing, etc. The one thing that I am doing for myself at the moment and truly loving it is learning Italian. Its hard as balls, but its really giving me great enjoyment and a sense of purpose. Back to EM - One soundtrack I have been revisiting a few times is Le Foto Prohibite...... and loving it. Are you cats familiar with that one?

I hyped EM pretty big over at the Cardiacs thread and even posted a few pieces, but I didn't want to over-welcome my stay and start to annoy people (might be too late for that ). I still am hoping to get a few of my good pals over there to come over here and test the waters, but I can see from a distance why soundtrack music might not sound interesting to some. I was one of those people not too long ago, but luckily you were persistent, and voila! Forever grateful for that alone

PS - you know this music is amazing when it has taken me away from Cardiacs (at the moment). There is not much that has that power of me

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post

And it's pretty much one of the reasons why I've been resourcing so much to Classical Music as well as to a foreign language music forum like PE's. So, I THANK YOU all for helping me on this endless trip of discovering so much more master Ennio Morricone's music, as well as from a bunch of other great artists
    Hey man - thank YOU for contributing to this thread and sharing your thoughts and knowledge on this amazing man. Its so great to share our love for this music, because in the scope of my day-to-day travels there is virtually nobody that I can turn to when trying to discuss this music except for you guys. Let's keep it going too.....this man is so prolific that we could be here literally forever trying to discover this music.

Le Foto Prohibite is stellar from beginning to end. As I stated a few posts back, one of the compositions that didn't make the cut is a piece called, "Doricamente". It's two minutes of heaven performed by the Il Cantori Moderni and what sounds like a harpsichord. I have been guilty on a few occasions of playing it as one continual 30 minute loop. Morricone is the fucking master!!

Quote Originally Posted by florentine pogen View Post
    Le Foto Prohibite is stellar from beginning to end. As I stated a few posts back, one of the compositions that didn't make the cut is a piece called, "Doricamente". It's two minutes of heaven performed by the Il Cantori Moderni and what sounds like a harpsichord. I have been guilty on a few occasions of playing it as one continual 30 minute loop. Morricone is the fucking master!!
    Le foto proibite di una signora per bene - what a trip !
    I adore those Ralph Towner type acoustic guitars (most probably by Allesandroni as in Killer Nun )
    Unlike many soundtrack albums this is a stand alone music experience this album's a total winner from start to finish
    I can say the same for La Proprieta non epiu un Furto - a stand alone music experience

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Hey man - thank YOU for contributing to this thread and sharing your thoughts and knowledge on this amazing man. Its so great to share our love for this music, because in the scope of my day-to-day travels there is virtually nobody that I can turn to when trying to discuss this music except for you guys. Let's keep it going too.....this man is so prolific that we could be here literally forever trying to discover this music.
    Hell yeah Chalkpie let's keep it going.......it's been really delightful to share our love for Ennio's music on here
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Interesting points made by Alan Bishop, and a very good summary too

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    Interesting points made by Alan Bishop, and a very good summary too
    here is a part of an interview with Bishop regarding the Crime & Dissonance compilation he was involved with

Q:What was the research-archival process like?
    A:
    "The process is and has been all about spending too much time and money to support the addiction Morricone is for me. I don’t recommend it for everyone, but once one is obsessed, it’s beyond one’s control. I have most of what I know to exist in a particular period of his. I am most interested in the years 1963-1980.
    There are many more unheard Morricone scores/tracks sitting around in locked vaults and other mysterious locales.
    I would say that a definitive collection of his work would have to be at least 50 hours of material, which I could hardly say for anyone else other than Sun Ra.
    After all, he’s the only composer I know of who has an appreciation society that released a bi-annual magazine dedicated to him for 15 years along with a 500-page discography of his work that is outdated by 14 years now.
    And it’s quite absurd that many Americans are familiar with John Williams and Danny Elfman, yet they’ve never heard of the great Ennio Morricone!"

Q:I’m wondering how much of the usable material was left out.

A:" One must remember that Morricone has appeared on thousands of recordings as a composer, conductor, arranger, or musician, so, in essence, most people are left out of even realizing what the man has accomplished, and there’s no other way to begin to understand it unless one is willing to spend a huge amount of time immersed in it.
    He is one of the greatest artistic minds of history, and I personally, and with full-on intentional arrogance, know that his work dwarfs any other film composer that can be named."

Q:I hear a million sonic references, everything from Varese to Miles. I’m curious as to what yours are.

A: Bach to Cage, Middle Eastern to Heavy Rock to Free Jazz …Yes, there’s a million in there somewhere!

Q: Is it even possible to grasp the full breadth of Morricone and what he’s done over the last half-century?

A: I’m a lot closer than most, but only the Maestro himself knows the whole deal. Many people have no idea that, along with scoring films, he spent the first half of the ’60s composing, arranging, and conducting hundreds of songs for the most famous Italian pop singers of the period like Gianni Morandi, Rita, Christy, Gino Paoli, Mina, Neil Sedaka, Paul Anka–the list goes on and on. And his arrangements for them are off the scale and much more advanced and maverick than what was happening elsewhere at the time.

Some have called him the father of the modern pop arrangement. No one was more clever at arranging pop songs than Morricone from 1962-1966. Most of those tracks are extremely hard to find (which you’d have to hear to see what I mean), but some have been reissued on BMG Japanese CD box sets–others are probably available on Italian ’60s CD comps you could still find in Italy, but they don’t always list Morricone as the arranger/composer/conductor on the inserts. Throw in his 400-plus soundtrack scores for film and TV, his improv/experimental work, chamber music, and concert music, and you’ve got an endless research project staring you in the face.
    Last edited by Udi Koomran; 06-23-2016 at 04:00 AM.

here is a part of an interview with Bishop regarding the Crime & Dissonance compilation he was involved with

Q:What was the research-archival process like?
    A:
    "The process is and has been all about spending too much time and money to support the addiction Morricone is for me. I don’t recommend it for everyone, but once one is obsessed, it’s beyond one’s control. I have most of what I know to exist in a particular period of his. I am most interested in the years 1963-1980.
    There are many more unheard Morricone scores/tracks sitting around in locked vaults and other mysterious locales.
    I would say that a definitive collection of his work would have to be at least 50 hours of material, which I could hardly say for anyone else other than Sun Ra.
    After all, he’s the only composer I know of who has an appreciation society that released a bi-annual magazine dedicated to him for 15 years along with a 500-page discography of his work that is outdated by 14 years now.
    And it’s quite absurd that many Americans are familiar with John Williams and Danny Elfman, yet they’ve never heard of the great Ennio Morricone!"

Q:I’m wondering how much of the usable material was left out.

A:" One must remember that Morricone has appeared on thousands of recordings as a composer, conductor, arranger, or musician, so, in essence, most people are left out of even realizing what the man has accomplished, and there’s no other way to begin to understand it unless one is willing to spend a huge amount of time immersed in it.
    He is one of the greatest artistic minds of history, and I personally, and with full-on intentional arrogance, know that his work dwarfs any other film composer that can be named."

Q:I hear a million sonic references, everything from Varese to Miles. I’m curious as to what yours are.

A: Bach to Cage, Middle Eastern to Heavy Rock to Free Jazz …Yes, there’s a million in there somewhere!

Q: Is it even possible to grasp the full breadth of Morricone and what he’s done over the last half-century?

A: I’m a lot closer than most, but only the Maestro himself knows the whole deal. Many people have no idea that, along with scoring films, he spent the first half of the ’60s composing, arranging, and conducting hundreds of songs for the most famous Italian pop singers of the period like Gianni Morandi, Rita, Christy, Gino Paoli, Mina, Neil Sedaka, Paul Anka–the list goes on and on. And his arrangements for them are off the scale and much more advanced and maverick than what was happening elsewhere at the time.

Some have called him the father of the modern pop arrangement. No one was more clever at arranging pop songs than Morricone from 1962-1966. Most of those tracks are extremely hard to find (which you’d have to hear to see what I mean), but some have been reissued on BMG Japanese CD box sets–others are probably available on Italian ’60s CD comps you could still find in Italy, but they don’t always list Morricone as the arranger/composer/conductor on the inserts. Throw in his 400-plus soundtrack scores for film and TV, his improv/experimental work, chamber music, and concert music, and you’ve got an endless research project staring you in the face.
    I am quite lucky with the Parisian library system. Thre are about 70 public librarys and all documents are in an online catalogue. They bought quite a lot of Morricone Cd's (about 50 original soundtracks) and recently about 10 vynils, mostly the Dagore editions. I have a Deezer account and they have a lot of rarer Morricone CD's, a good way to discover and then chase down the real good ones.
    BTW The excellent French biography by Anna and Jean Lhassa has a very good discography as an annexe (until 1989) the release of the book

230179230.jpg

For starters I would recommend the two (3 CD) Edel Gold edition boxes which give a good overview and ideas to explore more

001.jpg
    m28415bif16.jpg
    Last edited by alucard; 06-23-2016 at 05:47 AM.

Amazing!

One way to find some rarer Morricone tracks:
    Cherry Red records has published a couple of thematic Morricone compilations which are quite good and have some more difficult to find tracks

-Psichedelico Jazzistico
    -Morricone High – The Trippier Side Of The Morricone Genius
    -Morricone In The Brain
    -Morricone Pops

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/?s=Morric...t_type=product

Gotta says thanks to Udi and company for this thread! I finally made time last night to go through the links provided, and enjoyed it immensely. EM is a genre(s) all to himself, really.

During my years spent (voluntarily!) archiving the Rascal Reporters tape vault, I became even more aware of Morricone's influence on that duo. Yeah, the obvious influence is obvious enough, but perusing these YouTube links points to a deeper impact on the RR's sonic choices, especially Steve Gore's, in how certain chord changes and melodies hang together; moreso than I had previously been aware! Also, Richard Wileman pointed out to me the direct "homage" (or "borrowing"?) of EM in the RR song "Like A Rainbow" that's really sweet to hear. But there are lots of other examples of Steve Gore "quoting" his favorite composers.

Again, thanks for this illuminating thread!

BD

First real summer day in Paris today , so here my good humoured Morricone track of the day:

Un Genio, due compari, un pollo (1975) by Damiano Damiani ( produced by Sergio Leone, who directed also the opening scene)
    aka A Genius, Two Friends, and an Idiot (US, 1975); aka The Genius (1975); Nobody's the Greatest (video title, 1975); Trinity Is Back Again (US, 1975)

In Germany the film was “sold” as a sequel to Il Mio Nome e Nessuno and I was disappointed when I first saw the film, but since then the film has grown on me.
    First a little tribute to Ernesto Gastaldi, who wrote the script and literally hundreds of others for Western and Gialli and left his finger prints on the writing as did Morricone for the music. Il Mio Nome E Nessuno was his brainchild and script even so Leone worked also on the script and it was finally Tonino Valerii (another great Italian director, who deserves to be better known ) who directed the film.
    So, Un Genio, due compari, un pollo was a bit the same mix. Leone had loved the French film Les Valseuses about a love Trio à la Jules et Jim, two men in love with the same woman woman played by the beautiful Miou Miou. Leones idea was to transfer the topic to a western and asked A) Gastaldi to write the script and B) Damiano Damiani to direct the film, a bit of an awkward choice, seen that Damiani was more interested in “serious “ social topics, even so he had directed in the 60’s a great political western El Chuncho, quien sabe?

Basically a funny mess up hold together by the trio of Miou Miou , Robert Charlebois and Terence Hill and a nice Morricone score close to the mood of Il Mio Nome E Nessuno.

Brian I had no idea !
    Now it makes a lot of sense
    Steve was a good friend of mine but I was so actually quite ignorant to the maestro back then and had always been facinated by RR's sense for a good melody - Ha !
    God bless Steve Gore

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    Gotta says thanks to Udi and company for this thread! I finally made time last night to go through the links provided, and enjoyed it immensely. EM is a genre(s) all to himself, really.

During my years spent (voluntarily!) archiving the Rascal Reporters tape vault, I became even more aware of Morricone's influence on that duo. Yeah, the obvious influence is obvious enough, but perusing these YouTube links points to a deeper impact on the RR's sonic choices, especially Steve Gore's, in how certain chord changes and melodies hang together; moreso than I had previously been aware! Also, Richard Wileman pointed out to me the direct "homage" (or "borrowing"?) of EM in the RR song "Like A Rainbow" that's really sweet to hear. But there are lots of other examples of Steve Gore "quoting" his favorite composers.

Again, thanks for this illuminating thread!

BD

I just found out that Terence Hill is Italian heh heh I always thought he was American

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post

First real summer day in Paris today , so here my good humoured Morricone track of the day:

Un Genio, due compari, un pollo (1975) by Damiano Damiani ( produced by Sergio Leone, who directed also the opening scene)
    aka A Genius, Two Friends, and an Idiot (US, 1975); aka The Genius (1975); Nobody's the Greatest (video title, 1975); Trinity Is Back Again (US, 1975)

In Germany the film was “sold” as a sequel to Il Mio Nome e Nessuno and I was disappointed when I first saw the film, but since then the film has grown on me.
    First a little tribute to Ernesto Gastaldi, who wrote the script and literally hundreds of others for Western and Gialli and left his finger prints on the writing as did Morricone for the music. Il Mio Nome E Nessuno was his brainchild and script even so Leone worked also on the script and it was finally Tonino Valerii (another great Italian director, who deserves to be better known ) who directed the film.
    So, Un Genio, due compari, un pollo was a bit the same mix. Leone had loved the French film Les Valseuses about a love Trio à la Jules et Jim, two men in love with the same woman woman played by the beautiful Miou Miou. Leones idea was to transfer the topic to a western and asked A) Gastaldi to write the script and B) Damiano Damiani to direct the film, a bit of an awkward choice, seen that Damiani was more interested in “serious “ social topics, even so he had directed in the 60’s a great political western El Chuncho, quien sabe?

Basically a funny mess up hold together by the trio of Miou Miou , Robert Charlebois and Terence Hill and a nice Morricone score close to the mood of Il Mio Nome E Nessuno.