Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Songs about conspiracies, the 1%... The man.

As for Traffics Low Spark... The references of conspiratorial nature are sparse, I admit... Even the beat throughout the song suggests a sneaky and sinister "man behind the curtain" with the power to control and manipulate, or conspire to. if you will.

I was careful to state in my OP that we could all interpret it differently. One day I listened and I "got" what i got from it, and was pleasantly surprised by this revelation. I am sure we all have been listening to a certain song for years on end, when finally one day we hear it in a completely different way... With a whole different meaning or intent by the artist, and say... Ahhh, wow!...
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    You could add Roger Hodgson's "Had a Dream (Sleeping with the Enemy)":

Had a dream it was war
    And they couldn't tell me what it was for
    But it was something they could lie about
    Something we could die about, you know
    Anytime, anyplace
    When you look that man in the face
    Well it is not a face you wanna see
    Sleeping with the enemy, you know
    Supertramp, Rodger Hodgsons lyrics and music seem pretty and poppy on the surface to a casual listener. ...may be the most frightening and prophetic ever. (For a mainstream band). Purely by chance of course. Even their album covers.
    image.jpg

OJ.. The world trade... Airplanes, NY looks like mosques disguised as utensils and ketchup... Eggs and bacon and american excesses, a heavy set statue of liberty as waitress looks in fear and disbelief as the plane flies low by her And more. The crime of the century??!! And why does the prisoner have two left hands?? Lol. image.jpg
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 05-19-2016 at 01:28 AM.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Onomatopoeic View Post
    I'm sure Traffic's song "Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys" is just that, a song about stoner post-hippie yoof dressed up in (then) fashionable platform shoes. And, yes, they didn't have any spark whatsoever.
    "The percentage you're paying is too high priced
    While you're living beyond all your means
    And the man in the suit has just bought a new car
    From the profit he's made on your dreams"

A way's away from stoner post-hippies singing about shoes with holes in them.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Yes... Its like conspiracy 101. And yeah, pink floyd did a good job of making it pretty clear.
    It's about approach to the novel, I suppose. I guess I have a predetermined idea about what a "conspiracy novel" is, and it doesn't include all novels with conspiracies. To me, Animal Farm is a novel about power, an allegory of the Russian Revolution, and a kind of fable. While the pigs conspire to overthrow the revolution from within and set up their own dictatorship, I've viewed that as one working part of the novel, and not what defines the novel as a whole.

According to my lights, in a conspiracy novel the conspiracy is already in place, and the protagonist, through inquiry, begins to unmask it. It's the unmasking that is the primary emphasis and plot-line of the book. Animal Farm doesn't work that way, rather the primary emphasis and plot-line is how a revolutionary leader becomes a tyrant.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    ...... Animal Farm doesn't work that way, rather the primary emphasis and plot-line is how a revolutionary leader becomes a tyrant.
    Well, this is what's most commonly happening nowadays
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    Well, this is what's most commonly happening nowadays
    Isn't that the truth!
    Still alive and well...

the primary emphasis and plot-line is how a revolutionary leader conspires against a naive and honest populace to become a tyrant. Through the use of fear, intimidation, subterfuge and lies.

Still alive and well...

the primary emphasis and plot-line is how a revolutionary leader conspires against a naive and honest populace to become a tyrant. Through the use of fear, intimidation, subterfuge and lies.
    Individual mileage may vary.

It's all literary interpretation at this point. Perhaps my idea of the conspiracy genre is unduly restrictive.

So what is the practical difference between conspiracy and power, or conspiracy and policy?

Individual mileage may vary.

It's all literary interpretation at this point. Perhaps my idea of the conspiracy genre is unduly restrictive.

So what is the practical difference between conspiracy and power, or conspiracy and policy?
    I suppose the difference would be dishonesty, secrecy, trickery, and ill intent. If leaders, politicians, businessmen, truly had the welfare of their fellow human beings first and foremost in mind, then I am pretty certain the world would be a much better place. Advantage, profit, lust for power... The fabled 7 deadly sins, make it practically impossible. Seems it's been that way forever. And I fear many in power embrace and covet those sins happily, intentionally. With gusto!
    Still alive and well...

Isn't that the truth!
    Yes it is! And yes indeed, it's been that way forever, Napoleon instantly comes to mind - nothing better than Beethiven's words to describe him!
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

I suppose the difference would be dishonesty, secrecy, trickery, and ill intent. If leaders, politicians, businessmen, truly had the welfare of their fellow human beings first and foremost in mind, then I am pretty certain the world would be a much better place. Advantage, profit, lust for power... The fabled 7 deadly sins, make it practically impossible. Seems it's been that way forever. And I fear many in power embrace and covet those sins happily, intentionally. With gusto!
    Now THIS is a helluva truth!

Songs like these have been fed into our minds since birth, we listen and understand them but never really rise up against it. We say its the way of the world. Like a universal Stockholm syndrome we make it easy for our abusers and even honor them. Sometimes even on our knees.
    Still alive and well...

Are you familiar with 1984? Orwell hit it on the head with "doublethink," for both the oppressors and the oppressed.

Are you familiar with 1984? Orwell hit it on the head with "doublethink," for both the oppressors and the oppressed.
    It has been a long time since I read 1984 so I forgot about doublethink. So I read wikipedias description definition and agree... Its a perfect word for what is going on today. The reasons people follow along... They feel a need to fit in. If the many jumped off a cliff, the few would likely follow so as not to feel left out.

Thanks for bearing with me as I think out loud. But it's pretty important to me NOT to be led or influenced and I think that the music i have listened to most of my life has most likely adversely conditioned me to a degree. The question of conspiracy, was it intentional? The music business is big. Big money, big players, big backers, big propaganda, big influence, long arms, and drug culture connected.... What would prevent Mr. Big ( see Kennedy's secret society speech) from thinking "Hey, lets weaponize it"!

Peoples natural undying love of music is/ was well known and well researched and exploited by tavistock, mkultra, CIA, club of rome, etc. psychological warfare is no fantasy... Propaganda a seriously dangerous and effective persuader... Used throughout history has a great track record.

And going through my album collection... Lots of negativity disguised as coolness in there. (Doublethink?) Maybe I will switch to classical just to clear out my noggin at 60. Lol. But those beatle and black sabbath lyrics are embossed on my cerebellum forever.

NP ... Blackstar
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 05-20-2016 at 12:12 AM.
    Still alive and well...

... Propaganda a seriously dangerous and effective persuader... Used throughout history has a great track record.
    I agree this is fact, but in the long term it will all depend on each individual listener as to 'memory registering' it (the track record) or not.

... Maybe I will switch to classical just to clear out my noggin at 60. Lol. But those beatle and black sabbath lyrics are embossed on my cerebellum forever.
    Well, as a matter of fact, Black Sabbath members listened to quite a few Classical music , albeit just music for the music. I enjoy their music, never paid attention to their lyrics though.

We have always been at war with Eastasia.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

FNORD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    I agree this is fact, but in the long term it will all depend on each individual listener as to 'memory registering' it (the track record) or not.

Well, as a matter of fact, Black Sabbath members listened to quite a few Classical music , albeit just music for the music. I enjoy their music, never paid attention to their lyrics though.
    Listening to black Sabbath without paying attention to lyrics is like reading Hustler for the salad recipes!

Fnord. Lol. Yes we have always been at war with eastasia, we have always been at war with someone.
    Still alive and well...

The rappers have hundreds of conspiracy songs.
    Still alive and well...

Listening to black Sabbath without paying attention to lyrics is like reading Hustler for the salad recipes!
    Ok then, an exaggeration no attention to their lyrics. So, let us put this straight:

Lyrics are like dessert to me, I may want to pay attention to them, or not! But hell , this is what is really great about music - to each his own
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 05-20-2016 at 09:10 PM.

It has been a long time since I read 1984 so I forgot about doublethink. So I read wikipedias description definition and agree... Its a perfect word for what is going on today. The reasons people follow along... They feel a need to fit in. If the many jumped off a cliff, the few would likely follow so as not to feel left out.

Thanks for bearing with me as I think out loud. But it's pretty important to me NOT to be led or influenced and I think that the music i have listened to most of my life has most likely adversely conditioned me to a degree. The question of conspiracy, was it intentional? The music business is big. Big money, big players, big backers, big propaganda, big influence, long arms, and drug culture connected.... What would prevent Mr. Big ( see Kennedy's secret society speech) from thinking "Hey, lets weaponize it"!

Peoples natural undying love of music is/ was well known and well researched and exploited by tavistock, mkultra, CIA, club of rome, etc. psychological warfare is no fantasy... Propaganda a seriously dangerous and effective persuader... Used throughout history has a great track record.

And going through my album collection... Lots of negativity disguised as coolness in there. (Doublethink?) Maybe I will switch to classical just to clear out my noggin at 60. Lol. But those beatle and black sabbath lyrics are embossed on my cerebellum forever.

NP ... Blackstar
    A lot of my musical diet is instrumental, just to be an effective gatekeeper of what goes into my head. However, I think we all participate in the dominate paradigm through the sheer inertia of wanting.

The Buddhists have this concept of karma, which is like a stream of desire. These desires are given to us, foisted upon us, some we take up and some we leave be: be number one, be the coolest kid in school, gain financial security, gain power over others, get that new album, etc.

So these karmic streams, these common desires, given to us by our mothers and fathers, sold to us through art and media, demanded of us by our own chemistry, can be channeled and manipulated by the clever and nefarious, or the clever and benevolent. It is something over which one should be aware, in order to mount an effective resistance against those who turn us by our desire against our own true interests.

How's that for thinking out loud?

The rappers have hundreds of conspiracy songs.
    Not saying I adher to the text (the whole rap genre is perfect for conspiracy plots, soooo much so that it could be rather dangerous), but I kind of enjoyed that
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Fortunate Son - CCR

Some folks are born silver spoon in hand
    Lord, don't they help themselves, oh
    But when the taxman comes to the door
    Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yes

It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no millionaire's son, no
    It ain't me, it ain't me; I ain't no fortunate one, no
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Rat Salad recipes, to be specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Rat Salad recipes, to be specific.
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry" --

As you can see I followed your suggestions here. So, nothing more fair than throwing something BS concerned:

"And so in the sky shines the electric eye
    Supernatural king takes earth under his wing
    Heaven's golden chorus sings, Hell's angels flap their wings
    Evil souls fall to Hell, ever trapped in burning cells!"

Just out of curiosity, is there from BS something really conspiratory (*)? 'Cause this was the most 'close' I could find.

* EDIT: conspiratorial (the English language traps will always catch me here and there, hahah)
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 05-24-2016 at 04:36 PM.