Thread: Prog artists give their opinion on Emerson's greatest work!

Prog artists give their opinion on Emerson's greatest work!

TAKE A PEBBLE

“This is one of most outrageous pieces of piano extemporisations from Keith. Some very jazz-influenced moments, complete with his experimental piano doctoring [strumming the strings] and an avant-garde approach that was previously unheard of on a rock album or stage. This track clearly shows that the man was capable of anything, and it goes without saying he was an enormous influence on me and a whole legion of other keyboard players.” – GEOFF DOWNES

PIRATES

“Pirates is one of the best matches of rock and classical. It also shows how much Keith was influenced by American 20th century classical music. The chords and use of harmony is very similar to Aaron Copland. It’s a massive influence, as I love the more cinematic side of rock music, and you can almost see the visuals. Keith’s playing is also outrageous, and he makes it all look so effortless.” – ROB REED

PIANO CONCERTO NO. 1

“Tragically, the only thing wrong with Piano Concerto No. 1 was its timing. I truly don’t think the progressive rock market was ready for it, and the classical market certainly wasn’t. Had this fine work appeared in the last few years, I am positive it would have been wonderfully received by both camps, which in recent years have done much to merge. Piano Concerto No. 1 is a fine piece of work, written by a man who knew exactly what he wanted to do and, more importantly, had the talent to do it. If you haven’t heard this, then make the effort. You won’t regret it.” – RICK WAKEMAN

ENDLESS ENIGMA

“Having had the privilege of remixing ELP’s Trilogy album, I was able to listen to Endless Enigma in the kind of detail experienced by very few others. Amid all the aborted takes and last-minute arrangements, what strikes you above all is the ambition, with Emerson driving the band to play at the extreme limits of their ability and push the form further. Keith’s technical facility was pretty much without peer at the time, and it’s easy for that fact – along with his obvious showmanship – to mask the musicality, sense of musical dynamics and drama exhibited here. There’s an originality at play that is all too lacking in the present day. It’s an amalgam of diverse influences, not self-referential ones, that still sounds unique over 40 years later.” – JAKKO JAKSZYK

THE BARBARIAN

“What made The Barbarian such a milestone was that it was the opening piece on the debut ELP album, and it really typified much of what Keith was about: incorporating the classics in with original composition and the contemporary styles of music. It was, to my knowledge, the first time Bartok was ever employed in a rock’n’roll environment. You had this gutsy and gritty Hammond organ tone announcing itself like Jimi Hendrix’s Purple Haze, and then proceeding to unapologetically stride down the thoroughfare knocking over anyone and everyone that got in its way – bowling over street merchants, scattering the livestock and making women take their children off the streets. Then he comes in with Bartok’s Allegro Barbaro and silences all sceptics as to the facility and abilities of the keyboard player.” – MARC BONILLA

KARN EVIL 9

“For me, Karl Evil 9 represents ELP at their most over-the-top and ‘show-offy’. I love the big rocking synth solos and the energy of the piece. Those immortal words, ‘Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends…’, represented Johnny Rotten and punk’s worst nightmare. And delighted all prog fans!” – MARK KELLY

No attribution where these quotes come from.

Nevertheless, Jakko Jakszyk hits the nail on the head in terms of what I've felt about ELP...the bombast should never be allowed to mask the considerable musical substance/complexity in ELP's work. The surface can hide the depth, and that's unfortunate.

Emerson's concerto I think would have gone down better as a solo project....there's less expectation attached. The second side could have been all those ragtime/jazz covers that he recorded, so you got a sense of all his classical/jazz/blues influences.

Thanks so much Rufus for sharing!

And their thoughts pretty much summarize my feelings about these timeless and stunning pieces, coincidentally among my very favourite ELP tracks ever!
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

What?!? No "Tarkus"!

You go, Rick!!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Emerson's concerto I think would have gone down better as a solo project....there's less expectation attached. The second side could have been all those ragtime/jazz covers that he recorded, so you got a sense of all his classical/jazz/blues influences.
    I believe Emerson's original concept was an album of all piano music in a diversity of styles.

The Enemy God
    These are all taken from Prog Magazine in the. UK.

Quote Originally Posted by gallen1964 View Post
    These are all taken from Prog Magazine in the. UK.
    Thought so.:P

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    What?!? No "Tarkus"!
    There's a longer feature in Prog Mag & Jordan Rudess names Tarkus as his favourite!

The latest magazine is dedicated to KE & has some fitting tributes, not least from Tony Banks who states KE was his main influence. Interestingly I didn't know there was at one point a planned supergroup of Emerson, Hackett & Bruce!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    There's a longer feature in Prog Mag & Jordan Rudess names Tarkus as his favourite!

The latest magazine is dedicated to KE & has some fitting tributes, not least from Tony Banks who states KE was his main influence. Interestingly I didn't know there was at one point a planned supergroup of Emerson, Hackett & Bruce!
    Jack Bruce or someone else? I never heard about this either. I guess that I need to buy this issue of Prog.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    Jack Bruce or someone else? I never heard about this either. I guess that I need to buy this issue of Prog.
    Here's the quote-"There was also an aborted attempt to form a new supergroup featuring Emerson, Steve Hackett, Jack Bruce & Simon Phillips in '82. " Jack & I fell out unfortunately & that was the end of the band".

Steve Hackett gives a nice tribute & says on a personal level he did a lot of good for Genesis when they needed help!
    Last edited by Rufus; 05-19-2016 at 03:15 AM.

The latest magazine is dedicated to KE & has some fitting tributes, not least from Tony Banks who states KE was his main influence.
    Which is interesting, because they're such different players and writers.

Interestingly I didn't know there was at one point a planned supergroup of Emerson, Hackett & Bruce!
    I think the story was that Jack only wanted to do his own material, and Keith found that most unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    I guess that I need to buy this issue of Prog.
    Better take out a loan.

Interestingly I didn't know there was at one point a planned supergroup of Emerson, Hackett & Bruce!
    Wow man, this I'm damn sure would have been a fantastic supergroup!
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

I'm not sure if it's a 'deliberate' dig at Banks but Hackett said that Emerson proved you hust didn't just have to sit quietly in the background to play keyboards at such an astonishing level?

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I think the story was that Jack only wanted to do his own material, and Keith found that most unacceptable.
    You're thinking of when KE was forming a new group after the Nice (circa 1970).

Here's the quote-"There was also an aborted attempt to form a new supergroup featuring Emerson, Steve Hackett, Jack Bruce & Simon Phillips in '82." "Jack & I fell out unfortunately & that was the end of the band".
    This would have been a year after Asia. So, I think we all know what they probably would have sounded like.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I think it would be hard for a rock keyboard player of that time not be influenced by Keith Emerson in some way.
    True, although when I first heard Banks I thought "Matthew Fisher."
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    The latest magazine is dedicated to KE & has some fitting tributes, not least from Tony Banks who states KE was his main influence.
    Which is interesting, because they're such different players and writers.
    Totally agree, pretty different approaches. But then again, as a matter of fact influence doesn't necessarily mean common elements on their music.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    Wow man, this I'm damn sure would have been a fantastic supergroup!
    I hear they were to be called Emerson Bigguns.