Thread: Alice Cooper Group working on 'Killer 2'

Alice Cooper Group working on 'Killer 2'

Alice Cooper is working with members of his original band on what will be his next album.

The shock rocker says he's looking to his 1971 album Killer for inspiration on the next release, on which he's teamed up with former Alice Cooper Band men Neal Smith, Mike Bruce and Dennis Dunaway.

Drummer Smith, guitarist Bruce and bassist Dunaway have all been writing for what will be the follow-up to 2011's Welcome 2 My Nightmare. The trio were all also involved in writing that album, said to be a sort of sequel to 1975's Welcome To My Nightmare.

Cooper tells the Weekender: “I wrote three or four songs with Neal Smith and Mike Bruce. And so we worked together in Phoenix for about two weeks just writing songs and demoing songs. And you never know which ones are going to make the album, but I said let’s do that.

“Dennis Dunaway wrote two or three things. We haven’t seen those yet, but I know Dennis has always written great stuff.

"It’s fun to go back and work with guys you haven’t worked with in a while. It’s not trying to recapture your youth. It’s trying to recapture a sound. And it’s a very elusive sound.”

Meanwhile, Cooper says his supergroup Hollywood Vampires will include mostly original material on their second album. Cooper, Johnny Depp and Joe Perry released their debut album last year, featuring a string of cover versions.

Cooper says: “I think the Vampires next album will be almost 90% new stuff."

Hope he does it justice, which is a pretty tall order. "Killer" is his best album, IMO.

I also hope he tours with a different band. I just cannot force myself to see a bunch of self-absorbed posers, like he's been using. Maybe, it's just that I'm no longer his audience.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Hope he does it justice, which is a pretty tall order. "Killer" is his best album, IMO.

I also hope he tours with a different band. I just cannot force myself to see a bunch of self-absorbed posers, like he's been using. Maybe, it's just that I'm no longer his audience.
    Although I it would be cool if he toured with the original guys I think his current band is great. In fact I have tickets to see them again in August. They certainly play in a more hard rock / metal style, but they are all great musicians and he still puts on a great show. Just my opinion of course.......

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Although I it would be cool if he toured with the original guys I think his current band is great. In fact I have tickets to see them again in August. They certainly play in a more hard rock / metal style, but they are all great musicians and he still puts on a great show. Just my opinion of course.......
    No denying their talent. I just think their egos get in the way. It's a fucking pose-fest and kept me from seeing him a couple of weeks ago. And, I am a HUGE fan.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I only like three Alice Cooper albums, but that's one of them. I have a very hard time believing that attempts to re-create it in 2016 will be anything but terrible.

Yeah, the Killer album is just that, Killer!

I'm just surprised they chose that album to sequel as opposed to Billion $ Babies which was also great & would make more sense from a commercial aspect It was the band's best selling & most famous album by a country mile. I think Bob Ezrin will also be involved in this project!
    Last edited by Rufus; 05-16-2016 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post

I'm just surprised they chose that album to sequel as opposed to Billion $ Babies which was also great & would make more sense from a commercial aspect It was the band's best selling & most famous album by a country mile. I think Bob Ezrin will also be involved in this project!
    It's not really a sequel though. They want to try and write music with the particular feel of Killer. I'd be most surprised if it's called Killer 2.

Billion $ Grown-ups?

Billion $ Geezers has a nice ring to it
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Billion $ Geezers has a nice ring to it
    Sounds better. Didn't think of it, perhaps because English isn't my mothertongue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Sounds better. Didn't think of it, perhaps because English isn't my mothertongue.
    Well, I wrote it with a slight PE homage intended ... *duck -n- run*

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I know very little about Alice Cooper really, but people have said here that the name of the band is "Alice Cooper," and that's not *that guy's* name.
    Is this true? I believe his name's not Alice Cooper, but doesn't he seem to go by the name Alice Cooper? Does anyone NOT call him Alice Cooper when they're introducing him, etc?
    If he left the band or died, and they hired another guy to sing and continued to call the band Alice Cooper, wouldn't people FLIP OUT? Funny thought (not the dying part).

It was originally the Alice Cooper BAND, as he fronted the band, people started calling him Alice. His real name is Vincent Furnier.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    It was originally the Alice Cooper BAND, as he fronted the band, people started calling him Alice. His real name is Vincent Furnier.
    Vinnie legally changed his name to Alice Cooper back in the 70s

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Vinnie legally changed his name to Alice Cooper back in the 70s
    Yeah, I was under the impression that he openly had been assuming the name 'Alice Cooper' for himself, for decades now.

It's not like this is a 'Mr. Tull' kind of thing with Ian Anderson.

Snakes, Guillotines and Electric Chairs by Dennis Dunaway is a pretty fun read! It talks about how Vince, as he was known then, assumed the Alice name and left the rest of them pretty much behind during interviews, etc. Glen Buxtons alcoholism didn't help his decision to move on after Muscle of Love. Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter were brought in during M o Love and went onto Welcome to my nightmare. I stopped listening to him after that album. The Alice Cooper Band holds a special place in my musical heart.

Snakes, Guillotines and Electric Chairs by Dennis Dunaway is a pretty fun read! It talks about how Vince, as he was known then, assumed the Alice name and left the rest of them pretty much behind during interviews, etc. Glen Buxtons alcoholism didn't help his decision to move on after Muscle of Love. Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter were brought in during M o Love and went onto Welcome to my nightmare. I stopped listening to him after that album. The Alice Cooper Band holds a special place in my musical heart.
    Agreed. Saw the band in '72 and was hooked. That is, until Alice started showing up on the Muppet Show and became a parody of himself. Everything up to Billion Dollar Babies was great, particularly Love It To Death and Killer.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Agreed, his book is a must read for Cooper fans. I also enjoyed Dick Wagner’s book for the most part. I have also read both of Alice’s autobiographies which were also fun reads.

No denying their talent. I just think their egos get in the way. It's a fucking pose-fest and kept me from seeing him a couple of weeks ago. And, I am a HUGE fan.
    Cooper has definitely taken his live band in a more glam / sleaze metal direction ever since the “Eyes Of Alice Cooper” album back in the early 2000’s. Personally I don’t mind it, but I know what you are saying.

Muscle of love is horribly under rated. It deserves more attention if you've passed over it. I like it a LOT more than billion dollar babies now than I did when it came out. I also went back to easy action recently, it's raw, but the alice cooper band sound was there and ready to blow up with love it to death next.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    It's not really a sequel though. They want to try and write music with the particular feel of Killer. I'd be most surprised if it's called Killer 2.
    Well he did make WTMN 2 that also incl. the original member so why not?

Muscle of love is horribly under rated. It deserves more attention if you've passed over it. I like it a LOT more than billion dollar babies now than I did when it came out. I also went back to easy action recently, it's raw, but the alice cooper band sound was there and ready to blow up with love it to death next.
    Yeah, MOL is a solid rock album! The title track has remained a staple in his set list even till' this day!

Well he did make WTMN 2 that also incl. the original member so why not?
    I'm just going off what he says in the article.