Thread: Brain Salad Surgery in 5.1 Surround Sound

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar

Brain Salad Surgery in 5.1 Surround Sound

So, uh... I'll have to buy a big ass huge 12-inch by 12-inch expensive box with vinyl records and a bunch of other crap inside just to get the surround sound mix of ELP's Brain Salad Surgery on DVD-A?!?

I'd hoped that a simple 2CD + DVD-A package or (better yet) 2CD + Blu-Ray Audio disc with the new hi-def stereo and 5.1 surround sound mixes would have been made available with the vinyl package a separate entity.

I know Brain Salad Surgery was available years ago in surround sound as a DVD-A and an SACD before that. Unfortunately, both of those are long out-of-print.

Yes, this caused some controversy on here at the time. I'm not much on 5.1 remixes generally but this was disappointing as I'd have gotten this one at some stage, it's my favourite of theirs.

But ELP reissues are like buses...another one will be around before too long! Hopefully there will be a cheaper one that does include the 5.1 mix.

ELP in 5.1 sounds pointless (but then again ELP reissues are pointless)

For a trio, 3.1 sounds more than enough.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

BSS in dts 5.1 ?? A dream come true then! Thanks for sharing up:
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    BSS in dts 5.1 ?? A dream come true then! Thanks for sharing up:

I recall reading about the new 5.1 surround mix more than a year ago, and recently saw the 2CD+DVD set in a local record store.

Assuming this had the 5.1 surround sound album on the DVD, I fortunately examined the track listing data on the back of the disc case closely, before I bought it, and noticed that it only mentioned "stereo" mixes.

I then asked if they stocked the 5.1 surround sound DVD version of BSS. The store clerk promptly pointed towards a large box in the glass case and said, "that's the only way to get what you want."

This is what that box (Manticore/Sony 88883772862) contains:

CD1: Album, Reissue, Remastered
    CD2: Compilation, Remastered
    CD3: Album, Reissue, Remastered
    DVD1: DVD-Audio Multichannel, Remastered
    DVD2: DVD-Video, NTSC
    LP: Album, Reissue, Remastered, 180 Gram
    Extras: 20-page book and memorabilia

DVD1 contains the surround sound mix of the original album tracks encoded in MLP Lossless 5.1 Surround, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround, and DTS 5.1 Digital Surround formats. The new 2014 "supersonic" stereo and 5.1 surround sound mixes done by Jakko M. Jakszyk, which I am assuming are superior to the earlier surround mix that was issued on DVD-A and SACD many years earlier.

Last edited by Onomatopoeic; 05-17-2016 at 12:58 AM.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    DVD-A on eBay, $39.99

eBay: ELP, BSS DVD-A
    Chad