Thread: How much is Prog Rock Solutions Focused or Merely About the Artist?

How much is Prog Rock Solutions Focused or Merely About the Artist?

I was wondering why I don't like certain prog rockers much more as I matured, Some, I stopped being very excited about as I left my 20s, some I would like some of their solo work but really their band work anymore. I was listening to an artist recently where he was singing about something and he seemed to be pointing at himself, like what he was during a certain year of his life. I wasn't quite sure what the rest of the song was about. But, I think if you look at a lot of shallow pop music, it gets more about sexual posturing, but is there also a type of posturing in some Prog Rock, that is kind of narcissistic and not at a deeper level? What is that deeper level, well, perhaps classical music like opera or other vocal music might ultimately present it.

When it comes to themes and lyrics for songs, not every artist can write well enough to do anything but be simplistic.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I just looked up "Solutions Focused" on Wikipedia, and it's apparently some kind of therapy. I'm guessing you're saying that lyrics often focus on problems, not solutions? Maybe I need another cup of coffee (I really do, I just got up, as I work nights!).

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I just looked up "Solutions Focused" on Wikipedia, and it's apparently some kind of therapy. I'm guessing you're saying that lyrics often focus on problems, not solutions? Maybe I need another cup of coffee (I really do, I just got up, as I work nights!).
    I was just hoping for one of those deep thinking threads, lol.... always trying to focus on lyrics.... It was a hope to read some deep thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post
    I was just hoping for one of those deep thinking threads, lol.... always trying to focus on lyrics.... It was a hope to read some deep thoughts.
    It's hard to figure out what you're talking about or trying to say, though. I get the general idea, but I can't quite follow your specific point. Are you talking about philosophical-looking lyrics that turn out to just be an odd way of expressing more ordinary thoughts and experiences - like some of the words onThe Yes Album, and apparently, quite a lot of Anderson's words? Or social commentary, like Fish sometimes writes about? Or Peter Hamill's more heartbroken and personal material - which apparently mines emotional turmoil from years ago and not his current life as a contented husband and father? Or Zappa's unrelenting rudeness and sarcasm, which might have sometimes obliquely revealed vulnerabilities he never would have admitted to anyone?

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    It would help if there was something specific you could post, instead of generalities.

I can do this far, generally speaking: In as much as music is a performance, posturing is baked in. It can be done with more or less pretense, but we are audience to a performance none-the-less.

For me to get deep on lyrics, I'll need some lyrics to get deep about. What band were you referring to in your original post?
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Well, I pretty much am just looking at the philosophy of prog lyrics. When I listen to music, I am not interested in subjective views of the world being presented as some kind of objective universal that is being preached, and maybe blocking the listener to making up his own mind about things. That seems kind of like narcissism, as opposed if someone was a psychologist and saying by doing this, it's somewhat provable that you might get some kind of answer. A variation on that might be something that seems like the artist is presenting themselves as the product, like in the Beyonce or Madonna or whoever. I have been looking at "neoliberalism" lately, which is like where the corporation becomes the main voice of morality and so on, so that might be one aspect of this topic, or why I thought about the topic.

Like this?

One of the most pretentious load of bollocks laid to tape. Great music though.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I was even more lost as I thought it was referring to something called "Prog Rock Solutions."

Here at Prog Rock Solutions we can maximize real value in real time using dynamic multi-platform strategies and disruptive tech applications to achieve maximum design-thinking synergy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Here at Prog Rock Solutions we can maximize real value in real time using dynamic multi-platform strategies and disruptive tech applications to achieve maximum design-thinking synergy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great, as long as it has a robust feature-package and leverages that synergy for maximum ROI.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I can't say I really care about progrock lyrics.
    Would it bother you if "Lucky Man" was called "Moronic Man?"

Just kidding - I can definitely ignore a lot of lyrics too. If Peter Hamill is ranting, it doesn't so much matter to me what he's ranting about, although I do think his lyrics are interesting. But I tend to zone out on the lyrical meanings when listening.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 05-17-2016 at 11:33 AM.