Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saint Just

Saint Just

Despite having amassed a pretty decent collection of rare 1970s prog, I still have huge gaps in my prog education, including a few more or less well-known Italian bands whom I've never heard a note of. Saint Just used to be one of them until yesterday, when I finally got myself a copy of their debut album. Playing it for the second time now - some good stuff here, it seems! Does not sound very Italian to me, though - or, rather, does not sound very Italian Prog. I mean, there's a certain melodious aura here, with plenty of elegant instrumentation and lush melodic lines, which I always associated with Italian musical tradition, but no symphonic bombast which is characteristic for a lot of prog albums from this country. I would say it's more chamber than symphonic overall, with folk influences too. Once again, a good one IMO, and it's quite hard to come up with any close comparison.

What do you think about it? And what's up with their second LP? In the same vein? I enjoyed the first, so thinking about getting that one too.

There is also (sort of) a third LP (and LP only) from 2011. Basically it's Jenny under the name "Saint Just again".

It bears the nice name Prog Explosion, and I kinda really like it:

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    And what's up with their second LP? In the same vein?
    I prefer their second album. It's fairly similar to the debut, so you should like it. Jenny Sorrenti's solo albums are also well worth seeking out. They're a bit folkier, though, and some of them are rather hard to find (at a decent price anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by helicase View Post
    I prefer their second album. It's fairly similar to the debut, so you should like it. Jenny Sorrenti's solo albums are also well worth seeking out. They're a bit folkier, though, and some of them are rather hard to find (at a decent price anyway).
    I am rating both album the same, very high. On other hand I found Jenny solo albums uninspiring, I would say too folky, medieval sound, very predictable.

the second album is maybe even better, and a bit more symphonic/Italian sounding.

I have the first, and although it's not a favorite, I do like it. Can't help you with the second, Lev, as I never picked that one up.

La Casa Del Lago is a Gnosis 14 for me Lev. Nobody in Italy did merge so successfully psych folk with progressive rock and classical.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Brilliant mixture of folk / psych / prog.
    Some times the singing of Jenny Sorrenti reminds me of Jacqui McShee (Pentangle).
    La Casa del Lago is a very good one too (I slightly prefer the first though).
    A little more conventional / less psych than the first, but have their "proggiest" long (approx 11min) track "Nella Vita, Un Pianto" which is brilliant.
    The second side goes towards to more shorter / straight song format, but still good.

Quote Originally Posted by nnknsh View Post
    Brilliant mixture of folk / psych / prog.
    Some times the singing of Jenny Sorrenti reminds me of Jacqui McShee (Pentangle).
    La Casa del Lago is a very good one too (I slightly prefer the first though).
    A little more conventional / less psych than the first, but have their "proggiest" long (approx 11min) track "Nella Vita, Un Pianto" which is brilliant.
    The second side goes towards to more shorter / straight song format, but still good.
    that's about my take on them, except I don't consider it "essential"... I rated both albums 10 in Gnosis..

So Lev, if their debut rang/tickled your fancy, no doubt their second will too...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Thanks guys. Looks like "La Casa del Lago" is a no-brainer, I'll try to pick it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by nnknsh
    Good observation. I was thinking that she's got a very "UK folk" voice, but couldn't quite place it nor find a good comparison. This one looks as good as any!

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    she's got a very "UK folk" voice
    British influence from her mum perhaps?

I like both albums very much, like most I prefer the second slightly more but only because it was the first one I owned and heard. Jenny's brother Allan Sorrenti first two albums are excellent too, Aria in peticular and they come highly recommended too.

Quote Originally Posted by zutul View Post
    Jenny's brother Allan Sorrenti first two albums are excellent too, Aria in peticular and they come highly recommended too.
    Both at Prog Exhibition II (Song from Aria)

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    La Casa Del Lago is a Gnosis 14 for me Lev. Nobody in Italy did merge so successfully psych folk with progressive rock and classical.
    I like it too (and think it is way better than the debut), though perhaps not a 14'er. Within the perimeter of RPI, Saint Just sticks out in the same sense that Circus 2000, Apoteosi, Pierrot Lunaire and Opus Avantra did (and not just because they all had female voices in front); it's "recognizable", yet very original to the context.

If Saint Just afficcionados still haven't heard the disastrously underrated Phoenix by Zauber, then they should get there right away! Slightly symphonic folk-baroque (?) with two femivoxes and some solid songwriting.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yeah, that Zauber is quite good, imo. I don't recall for certain, but wasn't that an archival release?

Quote Originally Posted by zutul View Post
    I like both albums very much...
    Not sure if you folks know, but they have released a third one in 2011 under the name "Saint Just Again":

This was a limited edition (950 copies), LP only release.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zalmoxe; 01-17-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yeah, that Zauber is quite good, imo. I don't recall for certain, but wasn't that an archival release?
    Aach, yes! I was thinking of Il Sogno of course, their sole album proper (1978). Phoenix did indeed contain studio demos from the previous year and is nowhere as good - mostly due to the rather poor sound. But Il Sogno is well worth getting, although Zauber were late bloomers (I believe they existed already during the early 70s).

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Aach, yes! I was thinking of Il Sogno of course, their sole album proper (1978). Phoenix did indeed contain studio demos from the previous year and is nowhere as good - mostly due to the rather poor sound. But Il Sogno is well worth getting, although Zauber were late bloomers (I believe they existed already during the early 70s).
    Yes, Phoenix is archival works and quite average i.m.o. It's 1978's Zauber the real gem. Excellent keyboards driven soft prog with an early Pierrot Lunaire vibe (though more symphonic and with a nod to their baroque-folk moves). Il sogno was the title given to the same album by Vinyl Magic, for its 1989 CD reissue with the bonus tracks.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Yes, Phoenix is archival works and quite average i.m.o. It's 1978's Zauber the real gem. Excellent keyboards driven soft prog with an early Pierrot Lunaire vibe (though more symphonic and with a nod to their baroque-folk moves). Il sogno was the title given to the same album by Vinyl Magic, for its 1989 CD reissue with the bonus tracks.
    Can't remember much about Zauber (I rated them 9 in Gnosis, I think), except that Phoenix and Il Sogno were fairly close sonically to each other, despite the former getting only its release in the early 90's...

I remember hearing another album of theirs (dragon over a pink sky, maybe??), but it was not good...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I remember hearing another album of theirs (dragon over a pink sky, maybe??), but it was not good...
    The dragon and pinky sky album is their 1991 release ''Est'' which is a combination of 80s neo-prog reworks and live recordings. Disastrous!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Not sure if you folks know, but they have released a third one in 2011 under the name "Saint Just Again"
    We know, 'cause it was mentioned in the second post.

Zauber have a few 90's releases not mentioned here as yet - one is called "Aliens", which didn't leave much of an impression on me

I'll revisit Il Sogno this evening and maybe Aliens afterward

I remember liking Il Sogno and being disappointed with Phoenix

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Just pulled them up on my server, there are 3 unreleased Zauber tracks on a couple of sampler CD's put out by Mellow and Vinyl Magic, (Progressive Voyage and Progressive Italiano 60's 70's) - pretty decent tracks actually

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Any first Zauber CDs at a reasonable price?

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Any first Zauber CDs at a reasonable price?
    $9-$10 on Discogs.