Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Selling England By The Pound: Will it become the Most Celebrated Prog album?

just look at the sales figures

the most popular artists are the ones who moved the most product and those albums are the ones who are "the most celebrated"

has Justin Bieber surpassed Michael Jackson?
    has Genesis surpassed Yes?

the ones with the biggest sales figures are not usually the highest art form in any style of Pop/Rock music including progressive Rock music
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    First, if I didn't spent "enough time" in NYC, I wouldn't have to comment on that way.
    Secondly, I never said that I "dislike" the album, but I think that lack of at least just a bit of the atmosphere of New York City is not something that would make The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway a true masterpiece.
    I'm quite sure that just a little effort of Tony Banks to capture that atmosphere with his synths, that would have been only majestical.
    I grew up there, so I disagree. What Lamb has that Pound doesn't is balls. Pound is pastoral English countryside. Lamb is edgy, dark, angular and in your face. It takes chances (which is the thing I require most in my music - see Feigenbaum's comments about Crimson's "Starless and Bible Black" if you don't understand what I mean). Totally NYC.

I've never considered Selling England to be a preeminent prog album. Like the inconsistent Lamb, only half of it is really superb (Firth of Forth, the title track, Cinema Show, Aisle of Plenty). The rest is drivel. Foxtrot is a more consistent album.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I think this entire thread could be appropriately renamed: "I Know What I Like In Your Wardrobe."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    I grew up there, so I disagree. What Lamb has that Pound doesn't is balls. Pound is pastoral English countryside. Lamb is edgy, dark, angular and in your face. It takes chances (which is the thing I require most in my music - see Feigenbaum's comments about Crimson's "Starless and Bible Black" if you don't understand what I mean). Totally NYC.
    Ok, fair enough. The atmosphere on The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway really is not so much English pastoral sympho-rock atmosphere as it is on Selling England by the Pound, so it could pass as totally NYC!
    Oh and if you don't understand what I meant, this bedroom magician without a real instrument, your fellow citizen, will enlighten you. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Ok, fair enough. The atmosphere on The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway really is not so much English pastoral sympho-rock atmosphere as it is on Selling England by the Pound, so it could pass as totally NYC!
    Oh and if you don't understand what I meant, this bedroom magician without a real instrument, your fellow citizen, will enlighten you. Cheers!
    I don't need enlightening. And please, stating opinion as fact doesn't help anyone. For what it's worth, I've seen all the "famous" NYC rock bands, and everyone here overlooks the one I think is the best, automatically opting for the Ramones or the Velvet Underground
    Last edited by musicislife; 10-22-2016 at 03:32 PM.

For me, Genesis peaked on SEBTP. While I enjoy a lot of the Lamb, the band are so English that it seems comparable to Chas n Dave making a concept album set in America....

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    For me, Genesis peaked on SEBTP. While I enjoy a lot of the Lamb, the band are so English that it seems comparable to Chas n Dave making a concept album set in America....
    U2 went mainstream by making TWO albums around the concept of America. There's something to be said for that. And really, there's nothing wrong with a musician/band not wanting to be typecast. If anything, those 2 U2 rekkids forced them into a major transformation on "Achtung Baby". Not a bad way to go if you ask me.

(Note: I can't believe that Lamb needs this level of defending. It's freaking brilliant, on many levels. Note #2: I don't understand the need to deflate one band's work to inflate the other)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Exactly!
    By the way, I saw Chas & Dave when they opened for Led Zep at Knebworth festival 1979.

Finally, after 15 minutes, found a generic enough SEBTP thread to post this:

Great performance of FoF, cover, recent in youtube:

https://youtu.be/_zPpPS5Fj2s?feature=shared

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post

Very nice version. I always love that piano opening.

Selling England is definitely my favourite Genesis album - though they were on a pretty high plateau of quality from Nursery Crime through to Wind and Wuthering. It.s one of the defining albums of the genre - I think that is as far as you can go in assessing it's importance.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

To the original question , No.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Ditto. It has some brilliant high points but some rather expendable low points too.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I personally don't think it's even Genesis' best album (it is a damn fine album), so I agree ...no ...to the original question.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I personally don't think it's even Genesis' best album (it is a damn fine album), so I agree ...no ...to the original question.
    I don't agree with that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    That’s fine you have that opinion, however it communicates nothing. Then what do you think is Genesis’ best recording.

Saw another recent one now, same comments apply: Great performance of FoF, cover, recent in youtube:

https://youtu.be/6Odj7f9hvLA?feature=shared

Saw another recent one now, same comments apply: Great performance of FoF, cover, recent in youtube:

https://youtu.be/6Odj7f9hvLA?feature=shared
    Lito Vitale!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    In my household it can be the most celebrated Genesis album. But I find the first 8 Gentle Giant albums better than any Genesis album.
    Gnosis or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Ditto. It has some brilliant high points but some rather expendable low points too.
    For me as well. Genesis is one of my favorite bands and I hate to use the term "overrated" but I can't help but feel that about SEBTP. I've never been able to get into the wordy Epping Forest and I think Cinema Show worked much better live. Still, the production is probably the best of all the PG era Genesis records and side one is pretty flawless.

I think Close to the Fudge will always be THE prog album, Selling England will never dethrone that.

Nothing original about my take on this, but it works for me. I decided years ago that there is no "best" anything when it comes to music. I rate artists, songs and albums. I don't rank them. As far as Prog goes, I rate dozens and dozens of albums with the maximum # of stars possible, none of them stand taller than the others. Two kinds of music: the kind I like, and the kind I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I think Close to the Fudge will always be THE prog album, Selling England will never dethrone that.
    Yes, it does appear that way.

However it seemed that for the entire decade of the 1990’s Selling England By The Pound was thought of as clearly Genesis’ pinnacle. That has since been reassessed by fans. Personally, I choose Foxtrot and The Lamb.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    These threads are like men arguing on who’s cock is larger