Thread: Featured CD : Ladysmith Black Mambazo : Gift of the Tortoise

Featured CD : Ladysmith Black Mambazo : Gift of the Tortoise

Remember the group that backed up Paul Simon on "Graceland"? As a child, your favorite reviewer lived in Ladysmith for several years. Different music..

Per Amazon:
    The jewel in the crown in the Music for Little People catalog, Gift of the Tortoise is stunning in its beauty and uncompromising in its delivery of excellence. Expressed from the viewpoint of a very wise tortoise, the lush harmonies of Ladysmith Black Mambazo are supported by renowned guitarist Johnny Clegg and storyteller Gcina Mhlophe, creating a captivating blend of Zulu lore, South African history, and that country's brave optimism in the post-Apartheid era. As the drama unfolds, the listener is drawn into the spell cast by this marvelous group of players as they carry out the chant of ancestral names on "Two Shelleni," the folk legend of the "Boy Who Turned into a Cat," and the classic "Mbube (the Lion Sleeps Tonight)." --Paige La Grone
    http://www.amazon.com/Gift-Tortoise-.../dp/B000002M6S

Regards,

Duncan

I've heard good things about Savuka, but this artist seems more traditional African with no Rock content. That could be fine for many people but for me, I need a strong Rock content like Osibisa. Even Cymande has a good bit of Rock in their African sound. Is their a clip that can be posted where LBM is rockin out?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Ladysmith Black Mambazo always deliver the goods, IMO. They have amazing arrangements, and beautiful performances.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I used to have a live album of LBM. Damn, this reminds me I have to replace it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I have two LBM albums, and will definitely have to check this one out.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.