Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Trick DREAM POLICE Vinyl ---forgotten gem from the past.. any thoughts?

Cheap Trick DREAM POLICE Vinyl ---forgotten gem from the past.. any thoughts?

I just pulled this out of my collection as it has been a long time since I played this......

Other than the title track and one or two others I don't remember much of this and I played the album only a couple times when it came out....

I forgot how good this release was...

At the time the live album that was released just before this one got most of the radio air play and overshadowed this great and in my opinion their best studio album......

Banned
    my only thought is that it's hardly forgotten. Loved this album for many many years and still do.

It's a pretty patchy album IMO, but there are some great songs. The title track is probably their best song ever that I've heard. Need Your Love is solid, too.

Agree with Trurl

Jefferson James
    I remember being a youngster and watching my older cousin playing along with "Dream Police" in the basement with his '78 John Lennon Rickenbacker 325. Good times. I wonder if he still has that guitar?

Great album.

Not their best IMO, but a great album. "Gonna Raise Hell" is still a great one to crank up in the car.

Steve Sly

Kristi
    Love this album! I played this a ton when it was first released. I have been hauling it around with my other vinyl for the last *^&# years, and will be getting a new turntable this week. I think that might be my first play. Thanks for bringing it up!

the dream police they live inside of my head......what a great song...Need Your Love, the final song on the album, is another highlight....
    Last edited by ZEPPELIN4EVER; 01-18-2013 at 10:29 AM.

"This House Is Rockin' (With Domestic Problems)" always does it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post
    "This House Is Rockin' (With Domestic Problems)" always does it for me.
    Yeah, that's a good one! "Oh boy, oh boy!"

Easily my favorite Cheap Trick album, this puppy rocks hard. The title track, The House Is Rockin', Gonna Raise Hell, Voices and Need Your Love, all outstanding tracks IMHO. Wish I had seen them on this tour.

Peace,
    Alex

Am I the only that hears a distinct Mahavishnu influence on the song The Dream Police in the ascending bridge? I can usually pick out weird chords,but they just lose me once that orchestra takes over. If anyone knows the chords they can PM me anytime. Never owned a Cheap Trick album except Greatest Hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Am I the only that hears a distinct Mahavishnu influence on the song The Dream Police in the ascending bridge?
    Good point. Very proggy anyway, as they are on this too (Nielsen on mellotron and Petersson playing Taurus pedals):

Title track, "Way Of The World", "Voices", "I'll Be With You Tonight" and "Gonna Raise Hell" are my favourites. "I Know What I Want" is cool too, very AC/DC even if Petersson can't sing at all (I'd love to hear the version of "Voices" they did with Tom on lead!).

All the first five studio albums are very good but soundwise I prefer the Jack Douglas -produced raw first album or George Martin's experimental "All Shook Up". Petersson's bass shines on both and is too tamed on Werman albums.

That bass guitar tone on Gonna Raise Hell is one of the best on the planet. I almost wish one could remix the track so that it's just drums, that 8 string bass, and Robin's voice.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    That bass guitar tone on Gonna Raise Hell is one of the best on the planet. I almost wish one could remix the track so that it's just drums, that 8 string bass, and Robin's voice.
    Tom plays a 12 string Hamer Hollowbody Bass. I believe it was he who inspired the amazing dUg Pinnick of King's X to get a solid body 12 string Hamer. That thing sounds like GOD is a bass player.

That was a great video. I never knew there was a Mellotron in this band-Killer!

Tom plays a 12 string Hamer Hollowbody Bass. I believe it was he who inspired the amazing dUg Pinnick of King's X to get a solid body 12 string Hamer. That thing sounds like GOD is a bass player.
    Tom's Hamer basses were solid bodies, the one in the video was only made to look like an acoustic guitar with a fake sound hole etc. B12A is the model, "A" stands for "acoustic look". His current Waterstone basses are hollowbodies.

"Gonna Raise Hell" was indeed an 8-string bass, an Alembic.
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...nd1/TPete1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka View Post
    Tom's Hamer basses were solid bodies, the one in the video was only made to look like an acoustic guitar with a fake sound hole etc. B12A is the model, "A" stands for "acoustic look". His current Waterstone basses are hollowbodies.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...nd1/TPete1.jpg
    OK. You know your stuff no doubt. I have no problem learning btw it's much appreciated if it isn't done in a rude manner I'm fine.

OK. You know your stuff no doubt. I have no problem learning btw it's much appreciated if it isn't done in a rude manner I'm fine.
    I didn't mean it in a rude manner at all. Where did you got that? I'm sorry if I offended you, that was never my intention.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My only thought is that it's not prog.

They briefly crossed over to prog during the instrumental break in the song "Dream Police" If you were to record only that particular section you may find it difficult to believe it isn't a prog band playing. It sounds a bit like section written by Pete Townshend from one of his rock operas.

I didn't mean it in a rude manner at all. Where did you got that? I'm sorry if I offended you, that was never my intention.
    No worries Pekka. I wasn't in any way saying you were rude. I was complimenting you on NOT BEING RUDE. I am not the greatest communicator I guess. I suppose I could have written out my thought better. I love learning new facts. If anyone wants to teach me something I don't know I appreciate it. I don't however need sarcasm. I hate it when someone has to resort to that. To me,it's just bullying and appearing to be superior to others,when in fact they are proving how inferior they really are. Knowledge is always welcome. I know a lot of stuff but I don't know everything that's for sure. Hope I cleared that up for you Pekka and I'm sorry you misunderstood where I was coming from.

No worries Pekka. I wasn't in any way saying you were rude. I was complimenting you on NOT BEING RUDE. I am not the greatest communicator I guess. I suppose I could have written out my thought better. I love learning new facts. If anyone wants to teach me something I don't know I appreciate it. I don't however need sarcasm. I hate it when someone has to resort to that. To me,it's just bullying and appearing to be superior to others,when in fact they are proving how inferior they really are. Knowledge is always welcome. I know a lot of stuff but I don't know everything that's for sure. Hope I cleared that up for you Pekka and I'm sorry you misunderstood where I was coming from.
    OK, thanks and no need to apologise since it was me that misunderstood in the first place. Shows who is a worse communicator than you. Also, I'm a bit of a 12-string bass enthusiast and Petersson is of course a fav player so maybe I know too much about those beasts. Not everything, thankfully, then I might stop playing one.

About the middle section; I recall reading that was originally a part from an earlier song they played in the early seventies while the band was called The Sick Man Of Europe. Can't remember the title.

About the Mellotron; I again recall reading that Rick Nielsen imported one from England in the late sixties and used it on the "Fuse" album where he played keyboards alongside guitar. He also imported "the first Sound City stacks" at the same time. Those amps were used on the first Cheap Trick album for Petersson's Thunderbird bass.

The band was a fan of Patto and used to play some of their songs during their early years. Petersson also listed "Larks' Tongues In Aspic" as one of his favs.

That was a great photo of Tom with the Alembic. Further proof that the instrument wasn't to blame for that awful bass tone that Greg Lake had during the Works era.

About the Mellotron; I again recall reading that Rick Nielsen imported one from England in the late sixties and used it on the "Fuse" album where he played keyboards alongside guitar. He also imported "the first Sound City stacks" at the same time. Those amps were used on the first Cheap Trick album for Petersson's Thunderbird bass.
    Apparently the father of Rick, or perhaps someone else in the band, owned a music store, which is where the Mellotron (and I am insured it is a Mellotron, not a Chamberlin) came from.

I agree that Dream Police is not a prog album but I just love it. The title song floors me every time. Every. Time. It’s the only CT album I sort of own...by “sort of” I mean that I don’t own the physical item, it was one of the free downloads from Sony Music Whatever (can’t remember the actual name offhand) I got with my (then) new car stereo. Other albums I got:

PFM: Passpartù
    Lou Reed: The Bells
    Von Hertzen Brothers: Experience

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:“Song for Absent Friends (The Island)”-Spring