Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter Baumann - Esoteric Remasters

Peter Baumann - Esoteric Remasters

Just wondering if my fellow proggers will be taking the plunge on the 2 reissues out later this May. Was very surprised there wasn't a thread about it...

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Yes, it was mentioned (but apparently unnoticed) in a thread about T.D/Baumann:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...205#post537205

These classics were long deleted and unavailable in CD format since long long ago... Esoteric are (too) often criticized here for their remasters sound quality but I think they make a wonderful work in bringing back these lost gems from the past that nobody wants to re-issue. We should all be deeply grateful to Vicky and Mark for all their efforts in maintening our beloved music heritage alive.

Both Romance '76 and Trans-harmonic Nights are excellent E.M records and highly recommended. (But Repeat... and Strangers... are terrible and should be avoided at all costs).

Autobuy, as far as I am concerned...
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 05-10-2016 at 08:36 PM.

Ah sweet, I'll have to pick those up.

Still have the original vinyl...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Esoteric are (too) often criticized here for their remasters sound quality but I think they make a wonderful work in bringing back these lost gems from the past that nobody wants to re-issue..
    I have been very pleased with the sound of most Esoteric's (and Eclectic's). I'm not sure where the negative perception comes from. The Caravan, Keef Hartley, Supersister, Soft Machine, Samurai/Web reissues all sound great to my ears. The only ones I've been a little disappointed with are the PFMs. I agree it is a great thing to have a label like this in these times.

The only Peter Baumann I have is Repeat Repeat. One of the biggest letdowns in my collection. I would have to hear the others before I buy.

I bought Romance 76 as a teen and it's stood the test of time. It really shows that Baumann was an influential part of early TD, and kind of like losing Hackett to me, seems like they lost a little when he left.

Romance 76 is perhaps my favorite TD member solo album

I might pick them some times. Have Romance on a cassette-tape.

I have all four on vinyl but will be quite happy to buy the Esoteric CDs when they arrive
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Happy days!! Romance 76 coming on cd.Owned the lp back in olden times.

Hurrah.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    The only Peter Baumann I have is Repeat Repeat. One of the biggest letdowns in my collection. I would have to hear the others before I buy.
    Believe me, you want Romance 76 and Transharmonic Nights.

Repeat Repeat was when Peter shifted gears drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Believe me, you want Romance 76 and Transharmonic Nights.

Repeat Repeat was when Peter shifted gears drastically.
    Indeed. Repeat Repeat and Strangers in the Night are both abominations, turds in the punchbowl. If you haven't heard Romance '76 or Transharmonic Nights you haven't heard Peter Baumann.

By the way, I have 1990 Virgin Compact Discs of Romance and Transharmonic which still sound fine to me -- are the Esoteric remasters any improvement?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Indeed. Repeat Repeat and Strangers in the Night are both abominations, turds in the punchbowl. If you haven't heard Romance '76 or Transharmonic Nights you haven't heard Peter Baumann.

By the way, I have 1990 Virgin Compact Discs of Romance and Transharmonic which still sound fine to me -- are the Esoteric remasters any improvement?
    Probably not. I never got Transharmonic Nights so I will pick that one up.

Yeah, they sound awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    What everybody else has said - Romance 76 and Transharmonic Nights are vital. Approach without concern.

PE has spoken and I must listen! Romance 76 and Transharmonic Nights are on the 'to buy' list. Thanks!

If you need more convincing:

If you need more convincing:

Completely convinced, thanks!

My CDs of course sound worlds better than these YouTube videos. Yours will too.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I have been very pleased with the sound of most Esoteric's (and Eclectic's). I'm not sure where the negative perception comes from. The Caravan, Keef Hartley, Supersister, Soft Machine, Samurai/Web reissues all sound great to my ears. The only ones I've been a little disappointed with are the PFMs. I agree it is a great thing to have a label like this in these times.
    I'm with you. Their latest reissues of the first two Move albums are, in a word, wonderful. Shazam, in particular. And they always manage to unearth terrific bonus material that nobody else seems to find.

Here's a track from his new album, which looks like it will be released next week:

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Here's a track from his new album, which looks like it will be released next week:

Robust album!

Peter Baumann - Machines Of Desire

Release: May 20th, 2016

https://shop.tapeterecords.com/peter...of-desire.html

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I'm guessing that if I go by Newbury Comics to try to get this on my way home from work, I'd be Searching in Vain.