Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Karmakanic - ‘DOT’ - new album July 22

Karmakanic - ‘DOT’ - new album July 22

Well this is quite the summer for TFK fans! Anderson / Stolt, The Fringe and now we also get new Karmakanic :

Here is the announcement:

Sweden-based progressive rockers Karmakanic have announced the release of their fifth album ‘DOT’ for the 22nd July 2016. The band, who originally formed in 2002, have returned with their first studio album since 2011’s much-praised ‘In A Perfect World’ and the current line-up includes Jonas Reingold (The Flower Kings), Göran Edman (Yngwie Malmsteen), Morgan Ågren (Casualties Of Cool, Frank Zappa, Steve Vai, Kaipa, The Tangent), Lalle Larsson (Agents Of Mercy), Nils Erikson & Krister Jonsson. Andy Bartosh, Ray Aichinger

Jonas Reingold had this to say about the album and its themes: “I got my inspiration to start writing DOT when I stumbled upon a text by the famous American author and astronomer Carl Sagan a while ago. He was talking about how small and insignificant we are in this vast universe.

It’s fascinating to think that this little dot is all we are and all we’ll ever be. It gives us perspective. And I think perspective is a great tool for making good choices.”

‘DOT’ also features a track co-written with Jonas’ old buddy and colleague from The Tangent, Andy Tillison, and he also contributes Hammond organ on the epic track ‘God, The Universe and everything else no one really cares about’ which clocks in at nearly 30 minutes. You can find the full track-listing below:

1. Dot

2. God The Universe And Everything Else No One Really Cares About Part. 1

3. Higher Ground

4. Steer By The Stars

5. Travelling Minds

6. God The Universe And Everything Else No One Really Cares About Part. 2

The artwork for ‘DOT’ was created by Hugh Syme, who has previously made covers for Rush, Aerosmith & Iron Maiden. The album will be available as a CD/DVD digipak (featuring ‘The Making Of DOT’, Karmakanic Live In The US and Interviews), LP with CD & digital download.

Look out for more info in the coming weeks!

13177471_1060273017349246_3094995481158662905_n.jpg

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Thanks for the post! Always look forward to a new Karmakanic cd. Have 'em all, and they are all top notch melodic symphonic Progressive Rock.

Finally a new album from them. I prefer these boys over most FK or Spock's Beard projects/side projects.

Yep, I'll be grabbing this one!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

auto buy. thanks for the info.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Interesting that they've gone for a Transportation theme on this one. At least, I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Interesting that they've gone for a Transportation theme on this one. At least, I assume.
    Yes. It's a very bleak sort of social commentary on the Swedish Department of Transportation ... a flagman's struggle with the loneliness of existence and the fleeting nature of a life that is passing him by. Brutal.
    <sig out of order>

Pale Blue Dot probably would have been a better title but maybe it couldn't be used for some reason. Also, as someone on Facebook noted the band picture shows a Tangent concert poster in the background from COMM. So: DOT COMM

I played "Who's the Boss in the Factory?" to DEATH, over and over again. Just loved it. I couldn't get into "In A Perfect World" as much for some reason, which surprised me. However, "Factory" has so much good will attached to it, I'm definitely going to be picking this one up.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Like Tom..I'm another who played "Who's the Boss in the Factory?" to DEATH... "In A Perfect World" and the other earlier releases are real good... but that Factory one, man that one really stuck hard! A++++

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Send A Message From The Heart is an amazingly coherent (for something that's nearly 20 minutes long) and joyous track! I'll happily pick this up

This is an autobuy for me. I regularly go back to In a Perfect World and Who's the Boss..., and they always sound as fresh as the day I first heard them.

Cover art (by Hugh Syme)

33430322122338f144fd5193c7d7d064.jpg

Yes!!!! (I needed some good news this morning.)
    The Prog Corner

Something to wake me up finally. Great band, great ideas. Still crazy about the first two albums.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Another instant buy.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Autobuy here also. I've never enjoyed any Flower Kings album better than the last three Karmakanic albums.

Does anyone know of any plans or talk about the re-release of the first two albums? They are not easy to find and prices are a bit high.

I haven't heard any talk about it - i didn't realize they were out of print but yeah a quick check shows the first one especially is pricey.
    The title track of "Entering the Spectra" might be my favorite song of theirs - Just incredible

My absolute favorite by them is still Wheel Of Life. Everything about that album just hits all my musical buttons for some reason. The opening track is the most Flower Kings like thing he has done so maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know. Whose The Boss and Perfect World have grown on me, but for some reason just don't have the same impact for me (the former I still much prefer to the latter).

Anyway, this is an auto buy for me of course. I'm sure it will be good, if not great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
    Does anyone know of any plans or talk about the re-release of the first two albums? They are not easy to find and prices are a bit high.

Yeah, I recall people asking this question just a couple years after Wheel Of Life came out. I'm not sure why they haven't been reissued yet. I suspect those first two maybe didn't sell as well as they had hoped maybe. I don't recall a lot of people outside of Flower Kings fans being aware of them at the time.

Wheel Of Life is definitely my favorite but all four are really, really good. Very exciting news!!!
    The Prog Corner

Morgan Ågren !

Wheel of Life seems like the most uniformly great of them all to me, but then they all have great stuff, despite a few uneven bits here and there.
    <sig out of order>

Obviously, Selling England By The Pound is their favorite Genesis album as well!
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')