Thread: Cardiacs fans & friends help me please

Cardiacs fans & friends help me please

I rarely buy new music, and almost never on CD, so I now feel very much out of date as regards new albums being released by Cardiacs' friends and family and Cardiacs-Alike bands (remember that forum on Mares Nest? )

And now I am ready to update my CD collection with some of the newer stuff being released by such bands. Spotify is fine, and I listen to them all there, but I'd like to have some nice CDs for use in the car.

So suggestions please. Nothing older than 2014 thanks.

Already on my CD shopping list are:
    William D Drake - Revere Reach
    White Willow - Occultations
    Martyn Bates - Fireworks & Jewels/The Colour of Amber
    Knifeworld - Bottled Out Of Eden
    Stars in Battledress - In Droplet Form
    Arch Garrison - I Will Be A Pilgrim
    The Unthanks - Mount The Air
    Anekdoten - Until All The Ghosts Are Gone

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I rarely buy new music, and almost never on CD, so I now feel very much out of date as regards new albums being released by Cardiacs' friends and family and Cardiacs-Alike bands (remember that forum on Mares Nest? )

And now I am ready to update my CD collection with some of the newer stuff being released by such bands. Spotify is fine, and I listen to them all there, but I'd like to have some nice CDs for use in the car.

So suggestions please. Nothing older than 2014 thanks.

Already on my CD shopping list are:
    William D Drake - Revere Reach
    White Willow - Occultations
    Martyn Bates - Fireworks & Jewels/The Colour of Amber
    Knifeworld - Bottled Out Of Eden
    Stars in Battledress - In Droplet Form
    Arch Garrison - I Will Be A Pilgrim
    The Unthanks - Mount The Air
    Anekdoten - Until All The Ghosts Are Gone
    My favourite album of the last few years: the blue ship - the executioners lover.
    Absolutely brilliant and unlike any other band in my collection. Hard to describe or classify though. Kinda like frank sinatra meets univers zero.

They are on bandcamp. Try 'the parting of the ways' or 'ageing Madonna'

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    You've already got most of the ones I'd recommend, additionally

Knifeworld - The Unravelling
    Trojan Horse - World Turned Upside Down
    Schnauser - Protein for Everyone
    A Formal Horse - Morning Jigsaw

Not sure if you are a Bent Knee fan but their last two are great, Shiny Eyed Baies & Say So, both wonky pop.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    My favourite album of the last few years: the blue ship - the executioners lover.
    Absolutely brilliant and unlike any other band in my collection. Hard to describe or classify though. Kinda like frank sinatra meets univers zero.

They are on bandcamp. Try 'the parting of the ways' or 'ageing Madonna'
    Thanks man, I'll definitely give them a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    You've already got most of the ones I'd recommend, additionally

Knifeworld - The Unravelling

Not sure if you are a Bent Knee fan but their last two are great, Shiny Eyed Baies & Say So, both wonky pop.
    Thanks. A couple of new names there for me as well.

Another recommendation for Bent Knee and Schnauser.

You might also try Aquaserge from France and MoeTar from the US.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    You might also try Aquaserge from France and MoeTar from the US.
    Both great.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Gotta agree with most of the recommendations so far...I posted a thread recently about a band from Manchester UK called MOTHERTONGUE that would satisfy the needs of Cardiac fans. The new release called UNSONGS is highly recommended https://mothertonguemusic.bandcamp.c...ngs?undefined=
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

Bent Knee
    Thanks for those, I've listened to them today and Schnauser is the only one that appeals.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post

Aquaserge
    MoeTar
    Thanks, listened to them today, but sorry not my cup of tea at all.
    I'm really more interested in the English, pastoral, quirky folky stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Gotta agree with most of the recommendations so far...I posted a thread recently about a band from Manchester UK called MOTHERTONGUE that would satisfy the needs of Cardiac fans. The new release called UNSONGS is highly recommended https://mothertonguemusic.bandcamp.c...ngs?undefined=
    Interesting stuff. It's not an immediate hit with me, but I can already feel it growing. To me it sounds like a mix of The Streets/Knifeworld/Captain Sensible/Clearlake/Gogol Bordello and Urga.

Interesting stuff. It's not an immediate hit with me, but I can already feel it growing. To me it sounds like a mix of The Streets/Knifeworld/Captain Sensible/Clearlake/Gogol Bordello and Urga.
    Quite a line up Peter...Can I recommend the wonderful Moulettes...https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMoulettes
    Dave Sr.

Quite a line up Peter...Can I recommend the wonderful Moulettes...https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMoulettes
    Yes, you most certainly can. I've listened to a few since I read your response, and they are most definitely my cup of tea. Wonderful indeed.
    There's one YT clip of them playing at Cecil Sharp House, the significance of which should not be lost on anyone who is a fan of English folk music.

Yes, you most certainly can. I've listened to a few since I read your response, and they are most definitely my cup of tea. Wonderful indeed.
    There's one YT clip of them playing at Cecil Sharp House, the significance of which should not be lost on anyone who is a fan of English folk music.
    Glad you like them. I saw them twice in Toronto last year including a house party https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkevC4V9Ihw They are moving away from the folkier side and getting more progressive, i like both sides of the coin.
    Dave Sr.

So I've been listening to this type of stuff a lot over the last few days and I'm really digging Jason Pegg's Silver Noise, he's taken it back to the greatness and weirdness of the first Clearlake album (Lido) before they went all indie-boredom.

Others that I'm listening to a lot and really enjoying are:
    Arch Garrison - I Will Be a Pilgrim and King of the Down
    Memory Drawings - two fantastically evocative and very English albums on Spotify
    Moulettes - Constellations. I have yet to fully listen to all the other albums on Spotify. Thanks for the intro Adap2it.
    Mary Hampton - My Mother's Children
    Martha Tilston - The Sea

Moulettes - Constellations. I have yet to fully listen to all the other albums on Spotify. Thanks for the intro Adap2it

You are very welcome Peter. Moulettes will be touring Canada in July, I'll be seeing them for sure. There are no US dates planned.

Another English prog folk band that are definitely under the radar is THE MORRIGAN. I have all their stuff and Colin Masson's solo releases. There is not much out there to sample and very little video available, very mysterious...http://www.progarchives.com/forum/fo...D=73332&FID=47 http://www.themorrigan.co.uk/
    Dave Sr.

Another English prog folk band that are definitely under the radar is THE MORRIGAN. I have all their stuff and Colin Masson's solo releases. There is not much out there to sample and very little video available, very mysterious...http://www.progarchives.com/forum/fo...D=73332&FID=47 http://www.themorrigan.co.uk/
    They've been around since the 80s. Ken Golden sold their discs in the early 90s. Excellent FolkRock band, but nothing like Cardiacs.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    They've been around since the 80s. Ken Golden sold their discs in the early 90s. Excellent FolkRock band, but nothing like Cardiacs.
    Peter expressed an interest in English Folk music, not necessarily a Cardiac sound alike. Pastoral and quirky. I wouldn't call the Morrigan either but it never hurts to give them a listen.
    Dave Sr.

Yes, they're a good band. Iirc, there are some good live videos on YouTube, including some extended tracks.
    I like Mary Jane, a band with a similar time frame, a bit better, though.

I recently bought 2013 by Meilyr Jones and didn't really consider it Cardiacs-a-like to start with, but now I've lived with it a bit, I suppose you could find similarities with the Cardiacs' family and friends. It got that wonky, classical, psychedelic chamber pop like other Welsh acts such as Gorky's Zygotic Mynci or Super Furry Animals can do well. It may not fit the bill exactly, but its worth a listen to the first few tracks.