Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prog "unplugged". Of those who went acoustic, who did it best?

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Aranis
    +1!

Also forgot to mention well-known Hackett's beautiful acoustic works.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

...California Guitar Trio...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Gentle Giant featured totally acoustic arrangements in their live shows (thinking specifically of the beginning of On Reflection where all members play acoustic instruments), though I realize that is a bit of stretch since they didn't really do whole songs acoustically (unless you count Sweet Georgia Brown on the first live album).

Hackett's acoustic albums are quite good.

What about Blackmoor's Night? (I've never heard them, and they are maybe a bit of a stretch since Deep Purple isn't generally thought of as Prog)

Keith Emerson's "Piano Concerto No. 1"

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Gentle Giant featured totally acoustic arrangements in their live shows (thinking specifically of the beginning of On Reflection where all members play acoustic instruments), though I realize that is a bit of stretch since they didn't really do whole songs acoustically (unless you count Sweet Georgia Brown on the first live album).

Hackett's acoustic albums are quite good.

What about Blackmoor's Night? (I've never heard them, and they are maybe a bit of a stretch since Deep Purple isn't generally thought of as Prog)
    Hmm. BN is not bad per se, but I think this is one of those rare situations where the band, doing pseudo Elizabethan and renaissance style music with old timey instruments such as a hurdy-gurdy, might have painted themselves into a corner. It's not that I'm pinning for electric licks from Blackmoor, but a Hammond B3 just might set some this music on fire, IMHO.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 05-12-2016 at 04:13 PM.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

I got some decent mileage out of Threshold's "Wireless" when it was released:

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Another great one is Wetton's Subrosa. Kilmimster, Orford...