Thread: Gilli Smyth - Mother

Gilli Smyth - Mother

Gilli Smyth 'Mother' (Remastered Edition)
    Esoteric Recordings are proud to announce the release of a newly re-mastered edition of the classic 1978 album by Gong member GILLI SMYTH, “Mother”. This new, official release has been newly re-mastered and includes a booklet with liner notes by Gong archivist and expert Jonny Greene.

Release Date 24th June 2016
    ECLEC2551

Anyone heard this????

Is it all "space whisper" and vocalise? I never cottoned much to Gilli's brand of vocal anarchism.

I'm not an expert in this scene so I had to check.

Mother is this one: http://www.pilmeyer.com/gillismyth/mother.html

mothercd.jpg

I only have Mother Gong's Eye, which was a promo, although I was pleasantly surprised to hear someone else than Annette Peacock sing in a weird way ;-)

http://www.pilmeyer.com/gillismyth/eye.html

cdeye.jpg

Her first solo album, before forming Mother Gong, it contains several unreleased Gong tracks highlighting her from the Camembert era band and several newer tracks recorded in Deya with one song she even tries to (and fails) actually sing. Featuring Daevid on glissando, voices, tapes and bass guitar plus several deya aluminis such as vera violin bloom, sam gopal, pepsi and milan etc..I don't think it's a great album but it is quite good and ranks among the best things she released

Quote Originally Posted by zutul View Post
    ... ranks among the best things she released
    Not saying much

Hmmm indeed her output is problematic even for die-hard potheads like me, however she has at least two great albums with Mother Gong: 'Fairy Tales' and The Owl and The Tree" and several more good to reasonable ones "Wild Child" The first two Robot Woman albums and the Glastonbury live album, Mother is somewhere is the second category but less cohesive ans successful IMO. It's not bad album though and she had quite a few bad ones IMO

Excellent album, and the best of her solo catalog. I rank it above any of the Mother Gong albums, but that's just imo.
    I think that most people into classic 70's Gong (trilogy era) would find quite a bit to enjoy here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye-Ergot View Post
    I think that most people into classic 70's Gong (trilogy era) would find quite a bit to enjoy here.
    Well now THAT's a recommendation I can get into. Will have to check it out.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Excellent album, and the best of her solo catalog. I rank it above any of the Mother Gong albums, but that's just imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Me too. I really enjoy her space whisper, fortunately.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Full disclosure... I enjoy her space whisper weirdness a lot.
    But, I was very surprised by how substantial this album was in terms of pure classic "Gong-ness".
    Your mileage might vary considerably from mine and if it does, hey different strokes and all that.
    But if any trilogy fan was curious about Gilli's solo output, this is certainly the album I'd point their sky to.
    Last edited by Rye-Ergot; 05-11-2016 at 12:22 AM.

Full disclosure... I enjoy her space whisper weirdness a lot.
    But, I was very surprised by how substantial this album was in terms of pure classic "Gong-ness".
    Your mileage might vary considerably from mine and if it does, hey different strokes and all that.
    But if any trilogy fan was curious about Gilly's solo output, this is certainly the album I'd point their sky to.
    Agree.. bought this when it was first released.. Some very nice cuts on this release..

Quote Originally Posted by zutul View Post
    Hmmm indeed her output is problematic even for die-hard potheads like me, however she has at least two great albums with Mother Gong: 'Fairy Tales' and The Owl and The Tree" and several more good to reasonable ones "Wild Child" The first two Robot Woman albums and the Glastonbury live album, Mother is somewhere is the second category but less cohesive ans successful IMO. It's not bad album though and she had quite a few bad ones IMO
    My sentiments exactly, to the word.
    Fairy Tales is one of my favourites from the Gong family (and that says alot)

I love this album cause unlike most of her other works its was made by Daevid Allen and has his unmistakable touch
    Checkout his bass playing on I am The Fool !

I always found this to be a very pleasant, friendly album & a bit dippy. Kinda like Gilli as I think of it! Greatly looking forward to this.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

After trying Fairy Tales and dumping it back on the store I bought it from the very next day, I have approached Ms. Smyth’s solo work with extreme trepidation. Her “space whisper” routine is fine for ephemeral bits in the Gong repertoire, but I absolutely do not need an entire album of her spoken-word stoned hippie mumbo-jumbo.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...