Thread: NYC's Other Music store closes

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Another one bites the dust.Spent many a shekel at OM over the years.Not as much as i spent at Tower and Downtown Music Gallery and Soho Music Gallery but a tidy sum.
    Last edited by walt; 05-09-2016 at 01:16 PM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

That's too bad. We used to frequent the 'Holy Trinity' that was The Bottom Line, Other Music, and Tower, which were all right there. Can't count how many times we did this back in the 90's and early 2000's. Or if it wasn't The Bottom Line, then it was seeing the Mingus Big Band at the Fez/Time Cafe right around the corner. I basically stopped going when I moved to the mid-Hudson Valley (EDIT: and produced offspring )
    Last edited by chalkpie; 05-09-2016 at 12:49 PM.

Ugh, sad news indeed. Bought many an album there, even when tower and virgin existed, it was always on my shopping list.

Too bad. It was a store that I always liked and admired, but I'll admit I never actually bought much stuff there, though. Kim's, Virgin and J&R were my go-tos for new stuff, because they carried a much more diverse stock.

Very sad to hear. Thanks Steve F. for posting this.

Yeah, I heard they were closing. I always thought the NYU hipster crowd might keep it going. Guess not. That just leaves Downtown Music Gallery and Jazz Record Center for me.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Yeah, I heard they were closing. I always thought the NYU hipster crowd might keep it going. Guess not.
    If you read the article, the owners aren't closing because business is bad - they say that they are "still doing a ton of business" and have about $1.5 million in annual sales. They apparently are closing because they don't like the way the industry is trending.

I did not have the best experience with their mail order a few years ago. A week long delay to respond to my "what's up with my order" inquiries, unreliable stock info, etc

These are not the times when one can survive with such a customer service on this market.

This is the store where I picked up PT's voyage 34 and some of the light bulb sun singles back in 2000...actually I got one of the numbered (0002)she's moved on CD..

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sorry to hear this, though I'm part of the problem, as I haven't been there in ages. Though to be fair I moved out of the city about five years ago. But I spent a lot of time and money in that store.

There used to be a girl who worked there who was cute and nice, and she figured into some series or cartoon as a semi character. Anyone remember what show this was?

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Too bad. It was a store that I always liked and admired, but I'll admit I never actually bought much stuff there, though. Kim's, Virgin and J&R were my go-tos for new stuff, because they carried a much more diverse stock.
    I always thought they were too effete and haughty. I remember getting the first Mew album there and when I got to the register saying "are you sure you should be carrying this? I Like it."

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    I always thought they were too effete and haughty. I remember getting the first Mew album there and when I got to the register saying "are you sure you should be carrying this? I Like it."
    That's an example of you, not an example of them....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

In a slightly related note, the last ticketmaster kiosk in NYC, located in Disc-O-Rama on 8th street has been removed. Something about making sure those "convenience" & "shipping" fees are collected by TM.
    Sadly, Disc-O-Rama may not be around much longer either.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    I wouldn't say they were effete or haughty, but their employees were so young that while they probably had "good" taste in music for people their age, they were also kind of oblivious to a lot of stuff the store carried. So there were some weird things like a lot of artists who deserved their own sections languishing in the "Oldies" section. For example, you'd have Roy Harper in the "H" section of Oldies. And while they'd be sure to have the Merzbow section in good shape, you might have to wait ages for one of the new "Grobschnitt" reissues to show up. And they were pretty picky about what they'd carry in the section where most prog lived.'

Still, I managed to drop a pretty good amount of money there. That's where I got my copy of Julian Cope's "Krautrocksampler" book, which I love.

And all the kids who worked at the downtown records stores were pretty oblivious, to be fair. I remember complaining at the customer service desk at Tower Records on West 4th because they were charging $17 for a live release from Camel Productions that I knew CP only charged $11 for. They didn't seem to believe me when I told them it wasn't an import.

Rebel Rebel is where I bought my first Klaus Schulze album (a used CD). I rarely if ever found anything else that was of use to me there though.

Rebel Rebel was three blocks from my apartment and used to go there all the time. The guy who owned it--forgot his name was a sweet good guy and loved his music---was a huge Bowie fan. He was interested in buying some of my Melody Maker collection but couldn't part with them. My whole neighborhood has some of the highest rents in the city. All the mom and pop shops are long gone with a few like this place remain. It's been overtaken by Marc jacobs, Coach, Ralph Lauren Cole Haan----no little guy can afford the area---The store was so cluttered but if you asked for something he knew exactly where to find it in the chaos lol

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    My whole neighborhood has some of the highest rents in the city. All the mom and pop shops are long gone.
    Gentrification is killing NYC, the result of which is, as David Byrne recently put it, a city of museums but no culture.