Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sympathy for the Devil

Sympathy for the Devil

D'ya think their sympathy for the devil in the 60s is what's still keeping them all alive today, in this year when so many A list artists have already died? Just sayin'...

Charlie - 74
    Mick - 72
    Keith -72
    Ronnie - 68

Past members
    Bill - 79
    Mick T - 67

My top 3:

There are people - silly superstitious people -- who have suggested the Stones signed a pact with the devil. Only time will tell.

If they get to be 120 years old and are still touring, I'll look into it.

Perhaps Brian Jones was their sacrifice to the devil?

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
    Kurt Vonnegut

"Superstition brings bad luck."
    Raymond Smullyan, 5000 B.C

Well, there's plenty of the Stones family that have fallen: Brian Jones, Billy Preston, Bobby Keys, Ian Stewart, Jimmy Miller, Nicky Hopkins...
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

btw - some of the Zeps were fans of Crowley, can we learn anything there?

Keith Richards actually died sometime in the late 80s. He's been a walking corpse ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Keith Richards actually died sometime in the late 80s. He's been a walking corpse ever since.
    Evidence:

Attached Images Attached Images
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

^

Loved the song when it first came out. Still love it today. I dont think it has anything to do with their longevity though. I think they've all been pickled, and they are all well preserved. Hope this doesnt jinx 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    When the Stones toured in 1989, I think it was, David Letterman had a top ten list of rejected names for the tour. One of them was "The Rolling Stones! LIVE! Plus, Keith Richards!".

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Evidence:
    Captain Teague: I heard where you're headed. The Fountain.
    Jack Sparrow: Have you been there?
    Captain Teague: Does this face look like it's been to the Fountain of Youth?
    Jack Sparrow: ...Depends on the light.

When I watched The TAMI Show last year, it was then that it really hit me how amazing it was that The Rolling Stones were still treading the boards...with 3/5 of the people in that performance!

Healthy food, exercise and clean living.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    btw - some of the Zeps were fans of Crowley, can we learn anything there?
    Reputedly, Plant blamed Page and his dabbling in the occult for all the dren that happened in the late 70's (eg Plant's car crash, the death of Plant's son, the Oakland debacle, the death of Bonzo, etc).

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I'm not superstitious.

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Healthy food, exercise and clean living.
    ......and snorting your father's ashes.

Ah, no. If these guys signed away their souls, then they would play as good as Robert Johnson. And they don't.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Ah, no. If these guys signed away their souls, then they would play as good as Robert Johnson. And they don't.
    I don't think Robert Johnson was very god at making deals, to be honest.

"OK Satan, what's in it for me?"

"Well, I'll give you an amazing talent. You'll record a handful of songs and at the age of 27 die broke and unknown howling like a hound from a bottle of poisoned whiskey. Meanwhile, in 30 years time, a bunch of skinny white guys in London, England, will get insanely rich and famous from ripping off your work. How's that sound?"

"Where do I sign?".

Oh, the magic of vari-speed! Apparently, there's those who insist we've been listening to Robert Johnson's recordings at a much faster speed than they were actually recorded. And when you slow the tapes down and hear the songs the way Johnson allegedly actually played them, he becomes significantly less impressive.

R.J. Dio died young

(RIP R.J. Dio!)
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Oh, the magic of vari-speed! Apparently, there's those who insist we've been listening to Robert Johnson's recordings at a much faster speed than they were actually recorded. And when you slow the tapes down and hear the songs the way Johnson allegedly actually played them, he becomes significantly less impressive.
    Ah. The magic of disconnecting the speed of Johnson's music from the speed of Johnson's voice. Or that the pitch of Johnson's open and standard tunings are not altered except when they are slowed down.

I wish the amateurs would leave this to the pros.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 05-12-2016 at 05:07 PM.

You are an arrogant piece of work
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    You are an arrogant piece of work
    I'm sorry you feel that way, but I stand by my words. If you want to berate an artist, be damned sure that know what you are talking about.

This is fact based. It does not have any bearing on an opinion.

Ah. The magic of disconnecting the speed of Johnson's music from the speed of Johnson's voice. Or that the pitch of Johnson's open and standard tunings are not altered except when they are slowed down.

I wish the amateurs would leave this to the pros.
    Actually, I have a friend who insists that if the Robert Johnson recording those songs at the speed that we've always heard them at, he'd be doing stuff that would be virtually impossible, like barring at like the 14th or 16th fret, which would be physically impossible on a conventional, non cutaway guitar, unless we're to believe he'd slide the guitar down on his lap, like a Hawaiian guitar, and do it, then slide the guitar back up into regular, "Spanish" style playign position.

Oh and this friend me plays guitar, banjo, is well versed in acoustic guitar styles, having explored players like Leo Kottke and John Fahey, and apparently pissed off a lot of Pere Ubu people when he made it known that Jim Jones' "secret" guitar tuning was in fact plain old open E. So I think my friend Derek probably knows what he's talking about, when he suggests that the Johnson recordings should be pitched a step or two lower than they Columbia has been presenting them to us.

Also, keep in mind that varispeeding recordings has happened on lots of other occasions. Teo Macero sped up side two of Kind Of Blue (when CBS put out the remastered edition, they presented the two pieces at their "correct speed" saying that they were sped up due to a "mastering error", but Teo always insisted he did it on purpose). Chuck Berry claimed Leonard Chess sped up his recordings, to make his singing voice sound like that of a teenager (there's at least one compilation that has a couple songs on it that seems to back up this statement). And I believe Tom Dowd admitted he sped up some of the tracks on Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs, just because he thought they had a little better vibe at a slightly faster tempo (basically, same argument used by Teo Macero).

So it's not beyond the realm of possibility that whichever reissue producer at Columbia, back in the 60's, was thinking, "These tracks will sound better if we sped them up just a bit".