Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Guapo : Five Suns

FEATURED CD - Guapo : Five Suns

Per Allmusic:
    The British band Guapo has previously recorded and performed as a duo -- Matt Thompson on bass, Dave Smith on drums -- with various guest artists summoned when the need arose to flesh out their sound. More recently, keyboardist Daniel O'Sullivan has been a third group member, and his continued presence on several recent recordings suggests that Guapo may have evolved into a working trio. One of Guapo's dominant early influences was the French group Magma, with its aggressive synthesis of jazz and prog rock. (A 1998 Guapo EP, Guapo vs. Magma, both emulates and deconstructs the Magma sound.) Guapo's penchant for sonic hijinks has often propelled them into the more experimental stylistic territory of cut 'n' paste audio collage, improv noise metal, and/or claustrophobic, demon-spawn dronescapes. However, on this relatively civilized and even arguably retro CD, Thompson respectfully captures the heavy so-called Zeuhl-style bass of Magma and its derivatives, while Smith's high-energy drumming straddles the line between jazz and rock in the manner of celebrated Magma drummer and leader Christian Vander. Thompson also switches to howling space guitar on occasion, and he and O'Sullivan use electronics to give certain pieces a sci-fi quality that might evoke memories of vintage Hawkwind for some graying listeners. The title piece, in five sections, occupies almost the first 47 minutes of the recording, and its aura of brooding melancholy might also turn the listener's mind to thoughts of early King Crimson or perhaps Univers Zero, as well as Magma. O'Sullivan's keyboard arsenal includes everything from Mellotron and organ to Fender Rhodes electric piano, and while his heavy block chords help to create the thick, ominous textures that dominate this CD, his more delicate use of the electric piano on the last piece, "Topan," introduces a lighter, jazzier feel. Not an experimental CD by any stretch of the imagination, this is nonetheless a solid piece of work.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/five-suns-mw0000324909

Regards,

Duncan

Big fan of this one. Guapo are different from what I typically listen to, but there is something about them that resonates with me. Really enjoyed seeing them live at NEARfest as well. Bottom line, this is a great album.

This album is no Guapo, but I still love it.

If you stare at the black dot in the middle of the picture for a while, weird shit starts to happen. Try it.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    It took me a long time to come around to this, primarily because of it's length. It's like you have to eat the whole meal before you know if you like the taste. However, I finally did put in the time, and really like it. It's definitely worth the effort.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    This is probably the single greatest album of the last 20 years IMHO, I adore this album
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    This album is no Guapo, but I still love it.
    You mean this album is no guano?
    5 stars by fars.

Their best to date. Nevermind visitations knowledge and oni

By far their best album
    I love this album
    Matt Thompson is essential

I think that it's the very best of an excellent band!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

This is where I got into them. An unqualified masterpiece and their best album (with History of the Visitation in second place I think).

Banned
    A masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    By far their best album
    I love this album
    Matt Thompson is essential
    that one and Black Oni are their best hour... later albupms are Ok, but not coming to the wau-ist of 5S and BO
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

This, Black Oni and Great Sage I like. Haven't dug the recent stuff too much.

A favorite here, great band and music!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

their best.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

This thread made me revisit this album. My favorite of the 3 by Guapo that I own!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

It seems that I am the weird one: I like the latest Guapo album much more than Five Suns.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Not sure why these guys have slipped below my radar for so long. Gave a listen to some of Five Suns the other day and was quite pleasantly surprised. I'll be picking up some of these in the next few days hopefully.

One of the very best ever.

Five Suns was my intro to Guapo and still probably my favorite. I'd never heard of the band, but Wayside's listing mentioned a Crimson influence and that's all it took to 'add to cart'. A classic.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Not sure why these guys have slipped below my radar for so long. Gave a listen to some of Five Suns the other day and was quite pleasantly surprised. I'll be picking up some of these in the next few days hopefully.
    Careful with their discography... the stuff before 5 Suns is really very different (and hard on the ears) , IMHO. Somewhere between hard avant-garde with a Math Rock slant (IMHO and YMMV of course)

And the Zeuhl ambiance only lasts in 5S and the following Black Oni >> those two are my faves by a mile... Their last few being OK, but O'Sullivan's departure certainly did not help.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Careful with their discography... the stuff before 5 Suns is really very different (and hard on the ears) , IMHO. Somewhere between hard avant-garde with a Math Rock slant (IMHO and YMMV of course)

And the Zeuhl ambiance only lasts in 5S and the following Black Oni >> those two are my faves by a mile... Their last few being OK, but O'Sullivan's departure certainly did not help.
    History of the Visitation is a fine album! Might be my favorite of their's, actually.

LOVE IT!

...and loved seeing them at NEARFest too.