Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple

The only thing I use iTunes for is creating mp3-files. Sometimes the genres are off, but I don't care.
    Getting Synergy described as new age and Tritonus as metal, sounds pretty wrong, but I never use genres, so I couldn't care less.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    The only thing I use iTunes for is creating mp3-files.
    Ever heard of MaxCD? I use that and it is superb.

https://sbooth.org/Max/

What is Max?

Max is an application for creating high-quality audio files in various formats, from compact discs or files.

When extracting audio from compact discs, Max offers the maximum in flexibility to ensure the true sound of your CD is faithfully extracted. For pristine discs, Max offers a high-speed ripper with no error correction. For damaged discs, Max can either use its built-in comparison ripper (for drives that cache audio) or the error-correcting power of cdparanoia.

Once the audio is extracted, Max can generate audio in over 20 compressed and uncompressed formats including MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, AAC, Apple Lossless, Monkey's Audio, WavPack, Speex, AIFF, and WAVE.

I just went off on a rant on my blog about this because I'm an old man and rants feel good. I used this, which popped up on Metafilter:

The writer Jon Bois (of SBNation) wrote this back in March:

I thought I was the only one who messed up a sync and ended up wiping an entire music library that I had spent years building, but multiple friends have told me that they did the exact same thing. iTunes is like having your hand held by a robot who wants to walk into the ocean and die.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    iTunes is like having your hand held by a robot who wants to walk into the ocean and die.
    Digitizing your entire collection and then getting rid of the physical product is like pulling all your money out of the bank and asking a bum to hold it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Digitizing your entire collection and then getting rid of the physical product is like pulling all your money out of the bank and asking a bum to hold it.
    If I had to move the entire bank with me, with all the bricks, mortar and furniture every time I had to change apartments, and then find space for it in the limited square footage I have available to me, I'd ask around to everyone I know for the most trustworthy, reliable "bum" I could find who'd be kind enough to take up less space.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

But you shouldn't complain when the bum turns up missing, with your cash.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Well, you haven't heard a complaint from me about it.

I don't feel everyone should use iTunes. If it works for you to use another app, go for it.

I have enjoyed my Apple products since I started purchasing them in 1998 -- iBooks (2), iSight (1), MacBook Pro (1), iMacs (3), and iPods (4), and many more. I've never had problems with iTunes and it definitely doesn't slow my computer down.
    The only problem is that Apple makes it impossible for you to simply copy music to your phone unless you use iTunes - in which case, it's not simple!

...in which case, it's better to avoid Apple altogether.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Guh.... Et tu, Progressive Ears?

http://www.snopes.com/apple-music-deleting-files/

A support page for Apple Music clearly states that files residing in iTunes on your Mac or PC are never altered or deleted:

When Apple Music adds these matched songs to your iCloud Music Library, Apple Music doesn’t change or alter your original music files that reside in iTunes for Mac or PC or on your iOS devices from which they were added. We make these matched songs available to your other computers or devices in high quality 256 Kbps AAC, and they can be played on them only while your Apple Music membership is active.
    So basically, if you have MP3s on your computer, it's not rooting around your hard drive to find them and exterminate them. However, I still would never trust anything on a Cloud... only a hard drive I myself am keeping an eye on. And its backup.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Guh.... Et tu, Progressive Ears?

http://www.snopes.com/apple-music-deleting-files/
    Interesting. Thanks. But read the whole thing: it's a bit more complicated than the headline.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Google lets you upload/match 50,000 tracks for free and if you have a bad match you can override Google and upload your version. The only hassle is that it converts everything that isn't mp3 to mp3 when it uploads so best to make sure that the folder you are pointing to for upload is either all ready mp3 or lossless. Otherwise you end up going lossy to lossy for the tracks that aren't matched. My iTunes folder is nearly all AAC so I took a big sound quality hit using that with Google, but I also have my whole collection in lossless so I made a 320kbps mp3 version of the collection, uploaded that and now I have everything in the cloud. My preference is to buy CDs or lossless downloads, back the lossless version up to two external drives and make AAC files for iTunes and mp3 for Google. I use an iPhone, iPad and an iPod Classic, but having access to my entire library via Google Music has really cut down my need for the Classic though I still prefer to use it for yard work, etc..
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I don't think Apple was stealing music, but it does seem awfully stupid and irresponsible for them to allow their app to delete files from their customers' computers. Geez, what could go wrong there? So from a business perspective I can't see why they'd take such a risk of alienating users and creating ill will.

But just so we're clear - it sounds like this is only a problem with the Apple Music service, not iTunes per se.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The only problem is that Apple makes it impossible for you to simply copy music to your phone unless you use iTunes - in which case, it's not simple!
    In the case you use iTunes it's not that simple? I have no idea why that would be the case.
    <sig out of order>

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I don't think Apple was stealing music, but it does seem awfully stupid and irresponsible for them to allow their app to delete files from their customers' computers. Geez, what could go wrong there? So from a business perspective I can't see why they'd take such a risk of alienating users and creating ill will.

But just so we're clear - it sounds like this is only a problem with the Apple Music service, not iTunes per se.

In the case you use iTunes it's not that simple? I have no idea why that would be the case.
    My problem is that I can't delete music from the phone using iTunes - I can only do it manually, track by track, on the phone itself. Delete is greyed out in iTunes. Why would they not allow you to simply work with music files on your phone in Windows Explorer the way you would work with ANY files?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My problem is that I can't delete music from the phone using iTunes - I can only do it manually, track by track, on the phone itself. Delete is greyed out in iTunes. Why would they not allow you to simply work with music files on your phone in Windows Explorer the way you would work with ANY files?
    So you can't load in file types that could wreak havoc with your phone like viruses, etc.

I've never seen what you're talking about with not being able to delete songs from your phone via iTunes, but I guess I've never tried to specifically search out the songs on the phone per se (in a way analogous to using Windows Explorer). I create playlists (which in my case almost always consist of entire albums) and sync the playlists to the phone. If I want to delete an album from my phone I go to the playlist (in iTunes), delete the album, and re-sync the phone with iTunes. Or I can just uncheck the entire playlist and that playlist doesn't get sync-ed to the phone.
    <sig out of order>

Couldn't be happier with iTunes and iPhone. They work seamlessly together and I have never encountered any problem other than figuring out new layouts with upgrades.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Couldn't be happier with iTunes and iPhone. They work seamlessly together and I have never encountered any problem other than figuring out new layouts with upgrades.
    Same for me.

I've got no problem with digital music (preferring lossless) or for that matter digital media, but I tend to take as non-proprietary a route as possible to manage it.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Same for me.
    This problem seems to be with Apple Music. Something I don't use. If I do stream, it's with Spotify, but I have so much music piled in this hand held juke (iPhone) that there really isn't any need to stream. Hell I have music I bought last year that I still haven't gotten to!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Interesting. Thanks. But read the whole thing: it's a bit more complicated than the headline.

Henry
    Yeah, that's true. You could send your own files to the Recycle Bin if you click the wrong button. Apple iTunes is just not searching for them and deleting them the minute it's installed.

It sounds like this is only a problem with the Apple Music service, not iTunes per se.
    That's my point. I never use Apple Music. I do, however, buy MP3s and digitize my CDs and keep them in a safe place. I love my iPod Classic and hope it'll hang in there for a long time.

I just don't trust these weird Cloud arrangements.

Banned
    This problem seems to be with Apple Music. Something I don't use. If I do stream, it's with Spotify, but I have so much music piled in this hand held juke (iPhone) that there really isn't any need to stream. Hell I have music I bought last year that I still haven't gotten to!
    The Apple Music player on IPhone is not friendly to your music managed by ITunes. That's why I don't use it. There a lot of other players, and one I like is from Denon, the audio manufacturer. It has s great built in EQ which is use in some vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    The Apple Music player on IPhone is not friendly to your music managed by ITunes. That's why I don't use it. There a lot of other players, and one I like is from Denon, the audio manufacturer. It has s great built in EQ which is use in some vehicles.
    I used one for a short while called "Denon Audio" which did have a nice EQ. But it started doing weird things like only playing two songs of an album and stopping so I deleted it.
    <sig out of order>

I buy only CDs (and plenty of them). No interest in cloud storage or streaming. But I know some people really like it. I get it, it's modern and convenient.. it's just not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I love my iPod Classic and hope it'll hang in there for a long time.
    Same here, but I also recently bought the new(ish) Sony Walkman, which is excellent. 64 gig with a slot for up to another 128 gigs of memory (192 total). It also plays hi-res audio files and has bluetooth, radio and all that stuff. I've been using both of them in order to stretch out the life of my now seven year-old iPod classic 120. My only real complaint about the Sony gadget is that it is not iTunes compatible, and I really like iTunes personally. I only use it for ripping my CDs and my iPod, so I have no real issues with any of this other weirdness.

I used one for a short while called "Denon Audio" which did have a nice EQ. But it started doing weird things like only playing two songs of an album and stopping so I deleted it.
    Sounds like it was a trial version...?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

Sounds like it was a trial version...?
    No, it was one I paid for.
    <sig out of order>

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Somewhere around IOS 8 or so I started running into intermittent issues with the built in music app. What happens is that I will play an album and the sound will suddenly skip ahead a couple of songs while the counter still shows the track that should be playing. I also sometimes get a "this song can't be played. The media may be damaged." warning. When I reboot the phone the problem goes away, but then it recurs within a week or so. Most of my iTunes library is vbr Nero AAC files which previous versions of IOS never had any difficulty playing.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I used iTunes Match for a while but didn't get on with it and it messed up my collection a bit. I now use Google for free cloud syncing of my music and Amazon Prime for streaming.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk