Thread: Classical music: violin concertos you enjoy

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar

Classical music: violin concertos you enjoy

Onward we go with my new series at PE about classical music. Like the previous thread about symphonies, the title has been chosen deliberately. I would like to know which violin concertos are your favorites, but I also want to know which violin concertos 'took you by surprise' or you find underestimated on general.

First, the best vc ever remains (for me) Brahms. This is a splendid version, I think:

But the following is also a major favorite of mine, and I'm in love with Hilary Hahn, so that helps. But the fun thing about this vc, is that the connection between the soloist and the orchestra couldn't have been better, and this vc has one of the best ending-sections of all. The last, often third, movement of a vc is often the worst of the three, but that's certainly not the case with this one. I'm talking about Prokofiev's 1st vc:

Last but not least, Myaskovsky's violin concerto. I think that one deserves much more recognition than received, for it's a thing of beauty for sure:

Besides these I rather like Alwyn, Barber, Bruch (all three, not just his famous no. 1), Saint-Saens (also all three, but no. 3 is his best), Beethoven (depending on the performer), Dvorak, Stravinsky, Weinberg (again an underestimated one), Elgar, Adams, both (!) Glass, Bartok's no. 1, Shostakovich both, Nielsen, Sibelius, Prokofievs no. 2, Ginastera, Saygun (Turkish, very underestimated composer), Mendelssohn (again, depending on the performer), Penderecki both, and Korngold.

Tchaikovsky - Violin Concerto
    Things build up in this concerto --- if you don't want to hear the whole thing you can start at 7:01 for the great memorable theme (which can be heard earlier at 2:39) but you'd be missing much of the soloist violin highlights that are before that point.

I like that one with the violin in it.

Bruch, Tchaikovsky, Sibelius, Mendelssohn
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

The Mendelssohn was always a favorite, and the Beethoven. I'm not really a big string concerto aficionado... The Tchaikovsky certainly has some fireworks and is a great chops-fest but melodically I find it a bit, I dunno... saccharine.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I'm not really a big string concerto aficionado...
    Just curious, what kinda classical music is your favorite? Symphonies? Opera? Chamber? Piano? Choir?

Ligeti
    Dutilleux
    Alban Berg
    Sallinen
    Henze no. 2
    Norgard's Helle Nacht

I heard Esa Pekka Salonen's concerto on the radio the other day. Sounded pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    Just curious, what kinda classical music is your favorite? Symphonies? Opera? Chamber? Piano? Choir?
    Interesting question... I would have to say symphonies and chamber music, mostly in the form of string trios and quartets. I like piano sonatas... my thing about violin concertos is less about the form and more about the period I imagine. I lean toward earlier music, so if it were The Four Seasons we were talking about I'd be on board. I tend to jump over the romantics and go right on to Prokofiev and Stravinsky; neo classical I suppose.

Your list is nice so far. Here's a few more.

Penderecki's 2nd with Anne-Sophie Mutter is great.

Schnittke has 4, but I can't remember which I like the best.

Vasks - Violin Concerto (Distant Light) is pretty impressive. It was written in 1997 and already has about 10 recorded performances.

Ligeti - I'm a Ligeti fan-boy. He can do no wrong in my book.

Eliot Carter - Violin Concerto
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

I really like Samuel Barber's vc (Hilary Hahn's recording is great and also James Ehnes reording coupled with Walton and Korngold vc is great) especially the short but thrilling 3rd movementis amazing. Alban Berg's vc is wonderful. And of course the mighty Elgar violin concerto.

Delius' 'Violin Concerto' with Tasmin Little on violin is pretty sublime to my ears.