Thread: CIRCA- Valley of the Windmill

CIRCA- Valley of the Windmill

Frontiers Music Srl is pleased to announce the release of the new album from progressive rockers CIRCA: “Valley of the Windmill”, which will be released on July 8th. The album is available for pre-order from both Amazon.com: http://radi.al/CircaAmazon and iTunes:http://radi.al/CircaiTunes

CIRCA: is a progressive rock band formed by veteran musicians Tony Kaye (original Yes (official) keyboard and organ player) and Billy Sherwood (who took Chris Squire’s place in YES after his untimely passing in 2015 and who also previously served time in the progressive rock legends) and also features Ricky Tierney on bass and Scott Connor on drums.

CIRCA: was originally formed in 2007 by Tony Kaye and Billy Sherwood. The band’s self-titled debut features YES drummer Alan White and Jimmy Haun on guitar. The follow-up, "CIRCA: Live" a special DVD set, archived the band's first ever live performance.

In 2009, “CIRCA: HQ" was released with Jay Schellen on drums, followed by the release of “CIRCA: Overflow" a collection of bonus material from the first and second recording sessions, available only as a digital download.

"Valley of the Windmill" the new album, includes several extended length songs, and can be described as "super proggy" with influences ranging from classic Yes and Gentle Giant - Band, to Porcupine Tree and latter-day Marillion. An absolute must for all Prog Rock fans!

“It's very exciting to know there's a new CIRCA record coming out… We've been working long and hard on it and now we look forward to share it with everyone else,” says Billy Sherwood of “Valley of the Windmill”.

Sherwood’s latest solo record, entitled “Citizen”, was released in November of 2015 via Frontiers Music Srl. The album features several past and present YES members, including the last ever recorded performance from Chris Squire, as well as Steve Morse, Jordan Rudess,Alan Parsons, Steve Hackett and more.

“Valley of the Windmill” Track Listing:
    1. Silent Resolve
    2. Empire Over
    3. Valley Of The Windmill
    4. Our Place Under The Sun

CIRCA:
    Billy Sherwood: Vocals and Guitars
    Tony Kaye: Keyboards and Hammond
    Scott Connor: Drums and Percussion

I might bite. The first CIRCA disc IMHO is the best thing Billy Sherwood has ever done. The second one went downhill and he/they dropped off my radar. Based on the long tracks and track names, this one might be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I might bite. The first CIRCA disc IMHO is the best thing Billy Sherwood has ever donel.
    Agreed. The first CIRCA was a great alternate Yes with all four members having a connection. This seems like it will be a lot different though, with Haun and White gone and Sherwood switching to guitar.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What's with the odd Amazon links in the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    The first CIRCA disc IMHO is the best thing Billy Sherwood has ever done.
    I'll go for the first World Trade. Every album after that, including his solo-recordings, didn't reach that high level for me.

Honestly, I'm not sure how much difference there really is between Circa and Sherwood solo CDs. They both feature Sherwood's idiosyncratic songwriting style and his equally ... um, "unique" ... vocals. I have "Overflow" which is somewhat listenable when I'm in the right mood, however, so I might try it anyway... if only because I admire Sherwood for working his tush off to fill Squire's shoes in Yes.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I remember being really excited about the prospect of the first Circa album. For some reason I had it in mind that it'd be some sleek pop/rock mix of Asia (not sure where that came from) and Big Generator. If nothing else, it'd be in the vein of Open Your Eyes (which I don't mind, on occasion). Of course, it was neither but it had it's moments; a riff here, a break there that made it listenable and I dutifully signed up for the second. Somewhere along the way, though, they just kind of fell along the wayside for me and I rarely listen to either anymore. I'll give this a go, though.

I did not know that Sherwood was considered as a vocal replacement for Jon. That's kind of crazy, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I did not know that Sherwood was considered as a vocal replacement for Jon. That's kind of crazy, isn't it?
    Sherwood was considered as a vocal replacement for Jon, then as a bass replacement for Chris on the Talk tour, then ended up replacing Rick on Open Your Eyes.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Sherwood was considered as a vocal replacement for Jon, then as a bass replacement for Chris on the Talk tour, then ended up replacing Rick on Open Your Eyes.

Henry
    People here seem to think of him as a toxic vocalist - so that seems a strange choice.

Henry
    Sherwood is so talented that he could replace anyone in any band!

People here seem to think of him as a toxic vocalist - so that seems a strange choice.
    I'm sure Sherwood is more than a decent vocalist. The problem for me (and for others in that brief Sherwood/Kaye thread we had) is that he processes his vocals to the death, typically with massive chorus and echo effects. Its a cool effect for one song, maybe, but when you hear it for almost a whole album it drives you nuts.

If I'm remembering correctly, Sherwood burned out his voice in the mid-late 90s. He was able to "push it" and hit the high notes a lot better when he was younger, in the Lodgic and World Trade days, and if he was ever considered as a replacement for Jon Anderson, it would have made more sense back then.

But his voice changed, quite noticeably. It became more nasal and less robust. I'd have to go back and listen closely, but I do believe that the layers of vocal processing evolved as the years went by, maybe in an effort to compensate for not being able to belt it out like he once could. By the time that Circa did its "live" DVD, Sherwood's voice was pretty much shot . . . . . . . . he seriously struggled at that performance.

In recent years, he seems to have regained his vocal chops somewhat, albeit still through a great deal of processing. Some of his singing on Citizen is really good, IMO . . . . . . . "The Great Depression" is a good example.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

I'm sure I read an interview with Billy where he said the the producer of the World Trade album (Ken Scott?) pushed him too hard.

You can buy a cassette of the first World Trade album for $35 from Amazon Prime.
    That makes me happy, that Amazon Prime is dealing in cassettes!

Banned
    You can buy a cassette of the first World Trade album for $35 from Amazon Prime.
    Nice note parental discretion is advised,Due to haunting nature of screams of many lifes lost on 9/11,When world trade centers came down.
    Amazon holds no responsibility,if it primes your frontal lobes or mental well being ,plausible of jumping out 4 story window.
    thanx in advance amazon prime team.

Henry
    Yes must believe in affirmative action. lol
    Guy is so in over his head with so many great talents in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Yes must believe in affirmative action. lol
    Guy is so in over his head with so many great talents in the world.
    He was fine with Yes on CTTE 2015.

Wow! I *had* that on cassette. Too bad I haven't seen it anywhere for about a quarter century. It was a pretty good album if I recall...

Quote Originally Posted by arj View Post
    I'm sure I read an interview with Billy where he said the the producer of the World Trade album (Ken Scott?) pushed him too hard.
    The first World Trade was produced by Keith Olsen; the second by Billy himself.