Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any bands with two bass players?

Forgot to mention Keith Tippett's Centipede, they had 5(!) bass players

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    Jefferson Starship had two bass players - Pete Sears and David Freiberg - but they took turns between bass and keys.
    A bit the same with Saga. Jim Crichton and Mike Sadler both played bass, but I don't think they did it at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    They’re both credited with bass on the debut, but I think Derek was just covering for Ray when he picked up his violin.
    Even Kerry played bass on stage sometimes and he was credited with bass on the debut also.

A couple of incarnations of the John Carter-Bobby Bradford group used two double bassists.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Cecil Taylor also used two bassists at times.

Styx...on The Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight Live DVD. Ricky Phillips played bass on most songs, with Chuck Panozzo sitting in on 3 songs. On 2 of those songs, Come Sail Away and Renegade, there were 2 bass players.

Echolyn also has 2 bass players, Raymond and Thomas, but they never play simultaneously.

From Chicago: Gunnelpumpers. Improv band (usually) featuring multiple basses.
    http://gunnelpumpers.com/musicians/

If you're a modern jazz fan, Joe Lovano's Blue Note album Universal Language is a very interesting listen with a lot of great material. It features Charlie Haden on double bass, and Steve Swallow on electric, plus Jack DeJohnette on drums. And it's a great sounding production.

And the Pharoah Sanders Impulse album Black Unity features Cecil McBee and Stanley Clarke. The entire album consists of one continuous piece that runs for 37 and a half minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crimson King View Post
    Julie Slick's band.
    Yes, I was just clicking over to mention Echotest. Julie's really playing that baritone (?) guitar and uses it for higher-range and synth sounds some of the time, but I believe she still refers to it as a bass. Anyway, it's an example of a band with two basses, as opposed to a group that temporarily adds an extra.

I was watching an old pre-code movie a couple nights ago. In the movie was a performance by Spade Cooley and his western swing band. There were two stand-ups bassists in that band. Cool stuff.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Yes, I was just clicking over to mention Echotest. Julie's really playing that baritone (?) guitar and uses it for higher-range and synth sounds some of the time, but I believe she still refers to it as a bass. Anyway, it's an example of a band with two basses, as opposed to a group that temporarily adds an extra.
    worth adding that they are touring:

10/5 port jeff (long island) NY House of Brews
    10/7 Nashua NH Riverwalk Cafe
    10/8 Albany NY Parrish Publik House (i'm planning on being there. good cajun food, too)
    10/10 Burlington VT Metronome
    10/11 Ithaca NY The Range
    10/12 Philly PA Johnny Brenda's
    10/13 Rahway NJ Progstock
    10/14 Baltimore MD The BXIO
    10/22 Seattle WA Ballard Substation

Godspeed You! Black Emperor.
    The Prog Corner

Saga occasionally has Michael Sadler taking on the bass but it is mostly Jim Crichton. It gets really interesting when you have Sadler, Gilmour and Crichton on keyboards sometimes, that is what makes Saga very special.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    If you're a modern jazz fan, Joe Lovano's Blue Note album Universal Language is a very interesting listen with a lot of great material. It features Charlie Haden on double bass, and Steve Swallow on electric, plus Jack DeJohnette on drums. And it's a great sounding production.
    Haden and Swallow played together? Interesting.

A couple of 70's Gary Burton albums had Steve Swallow and Eberhard Weber both playing.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Some incarnations of Ronald Shannon Jackson's band The Decoding Society had two electric basses in the lineup.
    I was going to post that. And RSJ came up in Ornette's groups of course, who as mentioned upthread also had a predilection for two basses, so I figure it came from there.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by The Crimson King View Post
    Julie Slick's band. Saw them last year in a club in DC. Simply amazing.
    I was just going to mention Echo Test! Great choice!

Also, Tony Levin's Stick Men has both him and Markus Reuter.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I was going to say there are probably a lot of those nu metal bands with more than one bass player. Doesn't Linkin Park have four bass players?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I was going to say there are probably a lot of those nu metal bands with more than one bass player. Doesn't Linkin Park have four bass players?
    Spiñal Täp was all bass players there for a while.

In 1971, Taj Mahal had 4 tuba players in his touring band. That's deep.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Chris Squire and Billy Sherwood did some dual bass work live in both Yes and The Chris Squire Experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka View Post
    Even Kerry played bass on stage sometimes and he was credited with bass on the debut also.
    Damn, is Derek in drag there?

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    Chris Squire and Billy Sherwood did some dual bass work live in both Yes and The Chris Squire Experiment.
    Chris Squire and Steve Howe did a two-bass thing actually called "Bass Odyssey" during Steve's very early days with the band.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Chris Squire and Steve Howe did a two-bass thing actually called "Bass Odyssey" during Steve's very early days with the band.
    But never for a festival crowd, am I right?
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    No, but they do have one guy who thinks he's a rapper!

Minimalist dark jazz for three basses, two vibraphones, organ and string trio :
    Peter Kerlin Octet - Salamander (Innova Recordings, 2013)
    http://www.innova.mu/albums/peter-ke...tet/salamander