Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any bands with two bass players?

Any bands with two bass players?

There are a plethora of bands with two guitarists, drummers, keyboards & even lead singers but does &/or a band with two 'bassists' exist?

SMV was a great tour! Stanley, Marcus, Victor.
    I also saw BX3, which was Stu Hamm, Jeff Berlin, Billy Sheehan.
    Never enough bass!!!!

Mike Howlett's Strontium 90 with Sting as second bassist and the other members of police too, released on CD as "Police Academy", Brainville with Kramer & Hugh Hopper on basses and Daevid Allen & Pip Pyle, Kramer & Hopper also recorded two albums as a duo. Other Hopper band/project with two bass players Hughscore, Caveman Hughscore. Gary Burton had few albums with Eberhard Weber on bass and Steve Swallow on bass guitar and Finally Ginger Baker's - Middle Passage feature three bass players, Bill Laswel, Jah Wobble & Bootsy Collins

King Crimson of course during their double trio times.

Arthur Barrow and Patrick O'Hearn...

Instantly, out of my head...

Cop Shoot Cop
    Necromantia
    Rothko (I think they got 3)
    Ned's Atomic Dustbin
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Flying Luttenbachers during the Infection and Decline period

Tone Dogs, who later became Caveman Shoestore and then also Hughscore.

The 80s band Hugo Largo

Magma - on parts of the album Retrospective 3 (live) you have both Dominique Bertram and Jean-Luc Chevallier
    On Attahk Guy Delacroix overdubbes himself.

I have seen Stanley Clarke live where he had another bassplayer with him, he only played piccolo bass himself.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Once Upon A Time In Begium (Univers Zero, Present, Aranis) when they played RIO. Two bassists and one double bass.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Magma - on parts of the album Retrospective 3 (live) you have both Dominique Bertram and Jean-Luc Chevallier
    I think the dual bass thing only happens during the second part of Retrovision, ya know the section that kinda sounds like what you were expecting a Magma record to sound like.

On the Bobino 1981 video, there's a few other things with both of them playing bass, I think during part of the opening piece Zain, and also the instrumental they do during the first set, where Bertram plays a bass solo. I can't remember if there's anything in the second set with two basses.

Of course, the Spinal Tap song Big Bottom has two (or three) bass parts. When I saw BX-3, that was their big encore number. Their drummer actually did a good job of recreating all the fills in the intro. As soon as he played the first one (some guy sitting at the next table thought it was some Van Halen song, though, at first, I forget which one).

Eero Koivistoinen's "Wahoo" album (1973) has Heikki Virtanen and Ilkka Willman on electric bass. Recently released livesession of Jukka Tolonen's Ramblin Jazz Band from that same year has Virtanen playing with Pekka Pohjola.

Also
    Max Webster: Battlescar (Dave Myles and Geddy Lee)
    The Stranglers: Dead Loss Angeles (J.J. Burnel and Hugh Cornwell)
    The Soft Boys: Insanely Jealous (Matthew Seligman and Robyn Hitcock)
    Pink Floyd: One Of These Days (Dave Gilmour and Roger Waters)

In modern classical we had the Dutch ensemble Hoketus, with 2 player on each instrument.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoketus

Yes-Endless Dream live 1994 Chris Squire and Billy Sherwood.

On several tracks of Soft Machine-Fourth,Roy Babbington's double bass joins Hugh Hopper's electric bass.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Obligatory:

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Ornette Coleman often used two basses - one of his best quartets was with Charlie Haden and David Izenzon on basses and Ed Blackwell on drums - they made a hell of a sound. Later in his career Ornette would often have one bass guitar and one acoustic double bass.

There was a band in Richmond called Hotel X that was quite good and featured dual bass players. Not sure if they're still around or if they still include two bassists though.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka View Post
    Eero Koivistoinen's "Wahoo" album (1973) has Heikki Virtanen and Ilkka Willman on electric bass. Recently released livesession of Jukka Tolonen's Ramblin Jazz Band from that same year has Virtanen playing with Pekka Pohjola.

Also
    Max Webster: Battlescar (Dave Myles and Geddy Lee)
    The Stranglers: Dead Loss Angeles (J.J. Burnel and Hugh Cornwell)
    The Soft Boys: Insanely Jealous (Matthew Seligman and Robyn Hitcock)
    Pink Floyd: One Of These Days (Dave Gilmour and Roger Waters)
    The Cure - Primary

In the mid 70s I saw a band called Snafu open for Frampton's Camel and J. Geils. They had two bass players for a couple numbers. Not very memorable.

There's a band currently on the club circuit called Deadbolt who have two bassists (The Wall of Thunder). They specialize in using power tools, showering the crowd with sparks, in their show.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Up until recently YES had two bass players...............Squire's hands and Squire's feet.

The alternative band Ned's Atomic Dustbin I believe had two bassists and no guitarist. Some of the early 'post-rock' bands like Tortoise and Ganger had songs which featured two bassists at the same time.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Doesn't the Hawkwind band of the last few years have two bassists live on quite a few tunes?

Also, a college friend of mine was in a 90s alternative band called Girls Against Boys. They had two bassists live for most of their shows. One of the guys doubled on keys. It was a good sound for them

Talking Heads on the Stop Making Sense and Remain in Light tours.