Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any bands with two bass players?

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    In modern classical we had the Dutch ensemble Hoketus, with 2 player on each instrument.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoketus
    Fascinating group. I've only heard their signature piece, "Hoketus", and that in a cover version by the Bang-on-a-Can All-Stars, but it almost defines Minimalism in its peculiar blend of the seriously annoying and seriously amazing. For those who haven't heard it, it sounds a bit like a track from a cracked vinyl King Crimson record with at least a dozen bad skips.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

I have seen Stanley Clarke live where he had another bassplayer with him, he only played piccolo bass himself.
    I saw Ron Carter do this.

Steven Wilson on 'The Raven' tour played bass along with Nick Beggs on stick ( and bass as I recall) at least one song
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

That Apsara disc from the Soleil Zeuhl reissue has two basses playing, to a devastating effect. Also The first Triton disc on the Magma live boxset has multiple songs with two bassists.
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

I think there are moments on the current Steven Wilson tour when both SW and Nick Beggs are playing bass.

Girls vs. Boys

Sonic Youth at times

Dos

The Dixie Dregs had 2 bass players (Dave LaRue and Andy West) when I saw them open for Dream Theater.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I have seen Stanley Clarke live where he had another bassplayer with him, he only played piccolo bass himself.
    Came here to point that out, so I guess I'll mention how one of Miles Davis' 80s lineups had current Rolling Stone touring bassist Daryl Jones on bass and 'Foley' McCreary on lead bass.

Some incarnations of Ronald Shannon Jackson's band The Decoding Society had two electric basses in the lineup.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

David Gilmour and Roger Waters played a bass guitar each on One of These Days on Meddle.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptrick View Post
    The Dixie Dregs had 2 bass players (Dave LaRue and Andy West) when I saw them open for Dream Theater.
    I have a live CD of theirs with those two, and two violins (Allen Sloan and Jerry Goodman if I recall right) but I believe they alternated songs rather than all playing at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Came here to point that out, so I guess I'll mention how one of Miles Davis' 80s lineups had current Rolling Stone touring bassist Daryl Jones on bass and 'Foley' McCreary on lead bass.
    The only time I saw Miles, Foley was there along with Benny Rietveld, who I saw a couple years later with Santana (and I think has been with them ever since).

Julie Slick's band. Saw them last year in a club in DC. Simply amazing.

Speaking of jazz musicians, John Coltrane had a number of recordings with dual bassists.

Japanese metal band Condition Green

Soft Machine has a terrific live cd released under the name "Heavy Friends" or so in which they play a thirty minute plus suite containing most of their fiendlish complex pieces. They have both Hugh Hopper and Roy Babbington slaying on electric and acoustic basses, respectively. That one is really worth checking out.

Barre Phillips & Palle Danielsson play together with both Baden Baden Free Jazz Orchestra & Terje Rypdal Group of the same era (1970)

Stanley Clark Band on a few tours. The second bassist was Armand Saba Lecco from Camaroon. Armand was introduced to the US by Paul Simon. Fantastic player with a distinctive style, the Clark shows were smoking hot.

Gentle Giant had two bassists, Derek and Ray. Of course, I think that was just live and I don't think they ever played bass together at the same time.

Spinal Tap on Big Bottom Girls.

I don't know if this counts, but Herd Of Instinct has a Chapman Stick-player (Rick Read), who also plays fretless bass, while Mark Cook plays Warr Guitar, which produces those typical touch-guitar bass-lines.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Gentle Giant had two bassists, Derek and Ray. Of course, I think that was just live and I don't think they ever played bass together at the same time.
    They’re both credited with bass on the debut, but I think Derek was just covering for Ray when he picked up his violin.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Dumpstaphunk has two bass players.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Jefferson Starship had two bass players - Pete Sears and David Freiberg - but they took turns between bass and keys.