Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD : Kate Bush : Aerial

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    I didn't include it since it's a remake album rather than an album of all new material, although I do think it has its merits. I don't think there are any songs on it that replace the old as the new definitive version, in some cases because I don't think here voice is quite as good as it used to be. "Deeper Understanding" and "This Woman's Work" are both songs that are wonderful in their original form and that have surprisingly good and very different alternate versions on "Director's Cut". On the other hand,"Rubberband Girl" is also a complete reworking and is quite poor. "Moments of Pleasure" is another that loses a lot in the reworking. It seems she was trying to make the piano less repetitive but in so doing also took away a lot of its charm. The remaining tracks fall somewhere in between and are interesting to hear, though not mandatory listening.
    I rate "Moments of Pleasure" a little more highly--maybe I'm not as bothered by the change in the piano part. I just find it charming in a different way from before (ditto "Top of the City"). The reworking of "Sensual World" is also interesting. At the very least, the arty sophisticated treatment is much more fitting for Kate at her age, the same way the lush original suited her younger self.

What most of it comes down to is the change in her voice. Songs like "This Woman's Work" are just so perfect for that more world-weary sound she has, so there's a whole new depth to it. "Rubberband Girl," well... you said it. I also think the analogue remastering of Red Shoes is at least enough of an improvement to be worthwhile. Production aside, it doesn't sound so thin anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That song is great, and I especially like the song "Sunset." Her voice on that sounds as beautiful as ever, and I love when it ramps up into that whole Latin groove. When she sings the words "Where sands sing in crimson, red and rust" I could melt.
    Oh yes indeed. "Something in Between" may even top that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    I rate "Moments of Pleasure" a little more highly--maybe I'm not as bothered by the change in the piano part. I just find it charming in a different way from before (ditto "Top of the City").
    I listened to "Director's Cut" yesterday. The part I miss the most in "Moments of Pleasure" is the big orchestral bit during the Douglas Fairbanks part. The original has a drive and excitement to it that I like, whereas the new version is lower and slower and missing the orchestra, so it seems more melancholy. "Top of the City" is really quite similar to the original, isn't it? I think the big difference is the drums, which sound way better and have some parts added. In fact, I'd probably call this the definitive version if I liked her current voice as much as her youthful one. It's really a great song.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    I think that if you like this you might love her earlier work, which IMO is worlds better.
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand that at all. I love her early stuff (the first four, 78-82) but hear absolutely no similarity to this album at all that would suggest that a fan of Aerial would like The Kick Inside, Lionheart, Never For Ever, The Dreaming.

That said and I can hear (or is it feel?) a mood/feeling connection between Aerial and Hounds of Love, but only with HoL. It isn't there for Sensual World or Red Shoes.
    Last edited by PeterG; 05-05-2016 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand that at all. I love her early stuff (the first four, 78-82) but hear absolutely no similarity to this album at all that would suggest that a fan of Aerial would like The Kick Inside, Lionheart, Never For Ever, The Dreaming.

That said and I can hear (or is it feel?) a mood/feeling connection between Aerial and Hounds of Love, but only with HoL. It isn't there for Sensual World or Red Shoes.
    Neither do I, actually. What I really meant was "If you think Aerial is any good, then you should hear her when she was really good!". I see now that it seemed like I was making a connection between the quality or style of the music, which I didn't mean to do. (Again, I DO like disc one of Aerial, just not most of disc two.)
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

I think I once heard someone describe the second disc of this album as "acoustic trance music," and that's probably about right. It's certainly just as groove-based.

One of my favorite Kate Bush albums. Especially disc two is stunning.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I think Aerial is a beautiful and immersive listening experience.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by soundchaser93 View Post
    I think I once heard someone describe the second disc of this album as "acoustic trance music,"
    Well, it certainly put me to sleep before the last track ended.

Put this on a few nights ago after not hearing it for a year or two. Same result: 3 or 4 good tracks on each disc, but no real "classics" for me. Many of the tracks I like are carried by the arrangements, not the music or lyrics. I do like "trancy", but this doesn't qualify. Her follow-up does have tracks that do...