Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Beatles or Stones? Who do prefer?

I give The Stones all the credit they deserve. I'm more of a Beatles fan, but find the whole Beatles vs. Stones thing silly.

That being said, if there were no Rolling Stones, the industry would be pretty much right where it is today. Without The Beatles ...
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Neither.
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Exactly. It's a stoned college student argument.
    I believe more like a primary school recess argument, really
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Of course the stones. The Beatles are too soft. And they are not very nice to look at too.. Rolling stones has energy, which The Beatles always lacked.

Quote Originally Posted by bretisold View Post
    Rolling stones has energy, which The Beatles always lacked.
    You should check out some of their early BBC recordings and see how they rocked as well as anyone. Also, I might invite you to visit side three of the White Album.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Banned

Of course the Beatles are better (still). It’s like asking if Beethoven is better than Bernstein. Duh!

How’s that for deep bump?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I don't think they even exist on the same universe. The Beatles are in a separate class.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

There is nobody like "The Beatles ". I first listened to them back when I was 15 and I'm still listening to them 55 years later.

Beatles.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

I like 'em both.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    BEATLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I like 'em both.

I also like early Motley Crue now...…..
    E-A-T

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Faust.
    I understand and fully agree. Both The Beatles and The Stones have plagiarized Faust, this can be cleary heard in the first opening minutes of "Why Don't You Eat Carrots" from Faust's 1st record.

Back to the original question: if I really had to choose I would say THE WHO because they had both the (rock) energy of the Stones and the melodic sense of the Beatles. But I must confess I don't own a single record of any of these bands in my (huge) records collection. (except FAUST, of course !)
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 05-07-2020 at 08:36 PM.

The Beatles although I do like the Stones. Not everything the latter did but a good amount of it. I don't like the Stones songs where Mick Jagger thinks he actually is a Delta Blues singer circa 1930. Completely unintelligible and (IMHO) insulting.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    The Beatles although I do like the Stones. Not everything the latter did but a good amount of it. I don't like the Stones songs where Mick Jagger thinks he actually is a Delta Blues singer circa 1930. Completely unintelligible and (IMHO) insulting.
    Yeah, I always appreciated the Stones' blues roots, but never considered Jagger much of a blues singer.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Beatles! Versatility, Creativity, Originality...

Stones have had the chance since 1970 to improve themselves and make something that wasn't 'just' R&B.

The Who before 1971 was the better rock band.

But they all have qualities.

Jon Neudorf
    Anyone hear that new Stones tune. Ghost Town, I think is the title although may be wrong on that. Anyways, excellent song.

Back to original question, love both with The Beatles winning by a nose.

Thirty-four years ago, I ran this question by my maternal uncle (born 1956). He said, "personally, I like the Stones better." It struck me as one of the most unique positions I'd heard in my nascent musical outlook.

Personally, I think The Beatles were the more encompassing force. They exerted the greatest influence on rock's creative development worldwide. That said, I like The Kinks and The Who better than The Beatles or The Rolling Stones. The Kinks for their '60s-era work; The Who for their post-Tommy output (including solo stuff).

I have a friend who's my age, or a little older, around 63 yo. The trajectory he followed was the Stones, Who, The Stooges, The Ramones, and a lot of quirky, 80s New Wave.

My trajectory was Beatles, then I sorta forgot about them during the Pepper era, then Led Zeppelin, Santana, Chicago, Black Sabbath, Metallica.

Kinks